nealo

The Mental Health thread

Mental Health  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from a mental illness?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - yet to see a doctor about it
  2. 2. Do you know someone who suffers a mental illness

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know but suspect they do

Sound the pits mate. Like the others have said, it sounds like it's more than just the IM. 

Think hard about whether giving this up is going to really fix things. If so, make sure you are both certain about that. Remember, you can wind the training commitment back and go round in 13+. If that still causes problems, then IM is not the reason.

And most of all think about what is best for you and your daughter. That is what's most important in the long run. We'll all support you either way.

• Like 2

If not doing IM will salvage things with Ali then don’t do the IM mate, relationship is more important.  Like everyone else has said mate, either way you go we’ve got your back 100%.  

PS; don’t even try for sub 10, enjoy the day cruise around, lap it up bloke, I won’t be finished in sub 10 and I wanna see you cross the line and shower you in emu export! So slow down, enjoy the ride! (If you choose to continue through with IM)

• Like 1

On 19/07/2018 at 12:45 PM, roxii said:

Please everyone look after yourself and those around you. 

Just heard some terrible news. 

Those who have been here an while will remember Yurtie and his wife Snoo. 

Unfortunately Snoo (Susan) passed away on Tuesday. Leaving behind Yurtie (Simon) and Rosella their daughter. 

Simon and I met through here and became good friends as did our families as our daughters are the same age. 

Susan suffered a lot and often with her demons. I don’t know the cause of death but I hope she is at peace now. 

😢

If you have a spare  moment please spare a thought for the Yurtie family as Susan is laid to rest today. 

:sadangel:

• Sad 7

Sorry to hear about Snoo. Sincerest condolences to friends and Yurtie's family!

Second anniversary of my wife's passing last Thursday. Unfortunately it's BS when people say it gets easier...

• Sad 8

On 02/08/2018 at 11:50 AM, roxii said:

If you have a spare  moment please spare a thought for the Yurtie family as Susan is laid to rest today. 

:sadangel:

That’s sad to hear, Roxii.  Yurtie was a measured and quality poster when Trannies was at its most feral; seems a very good guy.

• Like 4

Old school mate of mine, didn't catch up that much other than on FB a lot.  Was a paramedic who hasn't been able to work for a while with ptsd and was officially dismissed by QAS I think in the last year as they felt his condition was unrecoverable.  Past away yesterday, not specificity sure what happened but I fear the worst, only found out on FB and most of us are pretty shocked by it!  He was the toughest mf'er.  Perspective.....

• Sad 6

On 12/08/2018 at 7:04 AM, goughy said:

Old school mate of mine, didn't catch up that much other than on FB a lot.  Was a paramedic who hasn't been able to work for a while with ptsd and was officially dismissed by QAS I think in the last year as they felt his condition was unrecoverable.  Past away yesterday, not specificity sure what happened but I fear the worst, only found out on FB and most of us are pretty shocked by it!  He was the toughest mf'er.  Perspective.....

Ambos, Fireman, Police, Nurses,Army, etc that all have to see and deal with some horrific things in doing their job need a lot more help in this area (PTSD).Far too often they get cast aside.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear Goughy, unfortunately too many people seem to hold an identity that is tied exclusively to their jobs, take it away and depression and the like creep in way to easy.  I hate asking people when meeting them now "So what do you do", it really is entrenched in our society which is so crap when it's a notion from our parents and grandparents era and job stability and career changes are so different in our time.  Ask people when you meet them something else like "What makes you tick" or "What are your hobbies"

• Like 2

Sam:

Chill. Please. It's a hobby. As Peter says, it's meant to be fun. If it isn't then back off. 

LITERALLY noone here gives two ****s about what time you go around in or if you even go round at all or even make the start line. You are a lovely man and people did a thing that is nice to do by getting the place. I wasn't one of them but I can abso****inglutely guarantee that nobody did it with any kind of achievement / time / anything else in mind. They just wanted to do a nice thing to make a nice person feel good.

Take the time off, reconnect with Ali if that's right and if you fancy it, have a pop. Otherwise focus on what matters. 

Thinking of you buddy.

Chris

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, monkie said:

abso****inglutely

Haha. Too rite

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, monkie said:

Sam:

Chill. Please. It's a hobby. As Peter says, it's meant to be fun. If it isn't then back off. 

LITERALLY noone here gives two ****s about what time you go around in or if you even go round at all or even make the start line. You are a lovely man and people did a thing that is nice to do by getting the place. I wasn't one of them but I can abso****inglutely guarantee that nobody did it with any kind of achievement / time / anything else in mind. They just wanted to do a nice thing to make a nice person feel good.

Take the time off, reconnect with Ali if that's right and if you fancy it, have a pop. Otherwise focus on what matters. 

Thinking of you buddy.

Chris

Hmmm

Timely. 

I'm writing this just before I go to bed. 2:15 wake up in the morning for a Zwift and then at 6 when Mooj is awake and I've got her breakfast I do a short run out the front of the house up and down the street. 

Mooj was upset that we have been going to bed so early because we never sit up and watch a movie together because I have to get the training done. Which means early starts on the weekends I have her and near exhaustion the rest of the time. She understands that it's just till Busso then life goes back to normal. But it's ****ing hard to tell her this and explain it. 

Ali is gone. I've "mourned". And moved on. 

Although it is definitely NOT what is on the MKC program, I'm going to change the workouts for the weekend that I have Ivy(Mooj). Because I can't hack seeing her go through this as well as me. She's been quite stoic about the diet changes and sleep regime. But I am going to tweak it so we can do basic fun stuff. 

I'm sorry to Matt for letting him down. It's deeply embarrassing. He's a great coach who has an endless amount of knowledge and skills to share. He is passionate and professional. 

But having a mirror held up to my "Ironman want" and the reflection not being what I thought and wanted has been educational. 

Thanks all. Have to sleep. 

12 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

I'm sorry to Matt for letting him down. It's deeply embarrassing. He's a great coach who has an endless amount of knowledge and skills to share. He is passionate and professional. 

If Matt is a good coach (which from all I've heard he is) then he should be able to adjust the program to suit. His job is to get you to Busso in the best shape he can. If you have to drop the program because it's inflexible, then you won't get to Busso in the best shape. It's a 2 way process Sam. Talk to Matt about it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

If Matt is a good coach (which from all I've heard he is) then he should be able to adjust the program to suit. His job is to get you to Busso in the best shape he can. If you have to drop the program because it's inflexible, then you won't get to Busso in the best shape. It's a 2 way process Sam. Talk to Matt about it.

Ex, 

That's good advice. Thank you. From where I sit, Matt is a busy guy who is trying to run a business and do what he LOVES. He has a lot of guys/girls who are with him long term who, imo, stand in front of me in the "contact time" line. And I'm cool with this. 

On my weekend with Ivy I will improvise the sessions required and see how that goes. It will be better than nothing. I know "how long" and "how hard", and I will go from there. 

Thanks very much. You are all ****ing cracking humans. 

5 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

Ex, 

That's good advice. Thank you. From where I sit, Matt is a busy guy who is trying to run a business and do what he LOVES. He has a lot of guys/girls who are with him long term who, imo, stand in front of me in the "contact time" line. And I'm cool with this. 

On my weekend with Ivy I will improvise the sessions required and see how that goes. It will be better than nothing. I know "how long" and "how hard", and I will go from there. 

Thanks very much. You are all ****ing cracking humans. 

Sam, it would be good for you let him know, just send an email with the changes & the reasons. He needs to know because each session he plans for you relates to what he plans for the following session. He'll be happier knowing, so you can work together. He'll only have half the picture if you dont. 

And ... your reasons are why we think youre a great dude 🙄😘

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mate having been to and known as many Ironmans as I have over the years I can assure that as of this point in time you have already done enough to finish an Ironman and easily make the cutoff and are right now in better shape than quite a few folks who will toe  the line on race day. 

Any shortcomings on race day will be made up for on race day by your sheer determination, a determination that you have already shown by getting as far as you have juggling the life you lead. 

Dont stress mate, do what you can, even if it’s only staying well fed and well rested and mentally on top of things. 

Forget about times, if the race was tomorrow you would do it and do it easily. 

Maintain what you have and where possible make a few advances where you can 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sammy.  The best par of your post was the fact you are thinking of Ivy.  This is credit to you.  Many wouldn't but this goes to show how great a dad you are.  Be proud of that.  If Matt cannot adapt to this that would be disappointing.  As I have said to you before if you never ask you will never know.  Yes there is always a process that needs to take place, but if you can be consistent in your training and nutrition I think it will go a long way to helping you in December.  Basically get a good run, a good bike and a good swim in each week and what else you can.  

If hard to adapt due to time breaking sessions down into double days may help as well.  

Be happy champ, 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well I have to say I have had a pretty horrific experience this afternoon.  Driving to pool this arvo going past footy ground the road had cars parked down either side of road so only enough room for one car.  A car was coming the other way and I stopped at top of hill and let them come through.  He passed with no acknowledgement and I just raised my arm and shrugged.  I drove down road and parked at pool.  A couple minutes later this car pulls up beside me.  A kid gets out the passenger side and then an adult gets out the driver side and walks towards my drivers side door.  

He says remember me? No sorry I don't.  He pulls open my door, I grabbed the handle inside so he couldn't pull open all the way. He then says show me your finger now, so he obviously thought I had flipped him the bird.  He then starts going on about ripping it off.  I told him to let go of my door.  He tried to wrench it more.  Then slammed on me.  Next thing he is going your scared aren't you.  Then he proceeds to headbutt my driver side window 3 times really hard.  He then got back in his car and left.  I got his number plate and rang the cops.  At this stage I was a bit shaky and couldn't remember my own phone number when the cop asked me.  I said my mums.  

Now how the **** do we allow people like this on our roads. He had two kids with him as well.  

The guy looked like a gym bro on roids and that's how I explained it to the cops and he got it straight away.  

This type of person will attack anyone when he is in the mood.  

This combined with the loony yesterday morning been a pretty eventful weekend.  

• Sad 3

On 19/07/2018 at 9:57 AM, MissJess said:

Blergh...just blergh... doctor wants me to lose 5-10% of my body weight - its about 9-10kg and my grandfather died suddenly yesterday (the flu). I can't run (ITB/glute/hip issues), I can't bunch ride (only the TT) and the trainer is freaking squeaking. ****ing hell.

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time right now. Unfortunately the only thing I may be able to help you with is your squeaky trainer. Try rubbing candle wax on the spinny silver bit where it touches the tyre. Fixes mine. I do it before most rides.

On 30/07/2018 at 10:29 PM, FFF1077 said:

OK 

This is beyond my control/joke etc 

I have now lost my girlfriend because of this Busso thing. 

Yes I have said that I want to to an Ironman one day. 

Yes I argued that I would like to go sub 10 

Yes I should "shut up and accept the gesture" 

Yes the generosity is out of this world. 

But I am not going well. 

I am really in a bad place. 

I'm DEEPLY upset about losing Ali. She's awesome. I tried my best to keep her. I'm trying my best to keep you all happy and repay the gesture. I'm trying my best to eat right ON NO MONEY. 

I can't do it. 

You win. 

I'm just another all talk loser. 

Close that thread Willie. 

Good night. 

No you should not shut up and accept the gesture. The only think you should shut up about is talking to yourself in a negative way. You wouldn't talk to any of us that way, so what gives you the right to talk to yourself like that?!

On 18/08/2018 at 9:35 PM, FFF1077 said:

Hmmm

Timely. 

I'm writing this just before I go to bed. 2:15 wake up in the morning for a Zwift and then at 6 when Mooj is awake and I've got her breakfast I do a short run out the front of the house up and down the street. 

Mooj was upset that we have been going to bed so early because we never sit up and watch a movie together because I have to get the training done. Which means early starts on the weekends I have her and near exhaustion the rest of the time. She understands that it's just till Busso then life goes back to normal. But it's ****ing hard to tell her this and explain it. 

Ali is gone. I've "mourned". And moved on. 

Although it is definitely NOT what is on the MKC program, I'm going to change the workouts for the weekend that I have Ivy(Mooj). Because I can't hack seeing her go through this as well as me. She's been quite stoic about the diet changes and sleep regime. But I am going to tweak it so we can do basic fun stuff. 

But having a mirror held up to my "Ironman want" and the reflection not being what I thought and wanted has been educational. 

Thanks all. Have to sleep. 

You are doing an amazing job. Talk to Matt. Unless you are trying to KQ, IM is about the experience, NOT the time. When I race hard, I forget things that happened. You don't want to push so hard that you can't remember the day. Enjoy it.  As my big brother would say, "You'll shit it in" in 17 hours. So no pressure. 

It's not all that bad for Ivy to see you like this.  She needs to know that shit like this doesn't come without sacrifice and if you want big things, you need to work for them. But at the same time, you are still listening to her and putting her first. Good for you.

How many days do you have her? Make one of them your rest day?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time right now. Unfortunately the only thing I may be able to help you with is your squeaky trainer. Try rubbing candle wax on the spinny silver bit where it touches the tyre. Fixes mine. I do it before most rides.

No you should not shut up and accept the gesture. The only think you should shut up about is talking to yourself in a negative way. You wouldn't talk to any of us that way, so what gives you the right to talk to yourself like that?!

You are doing an amazing job. Talk to Matt. Unless you are trying to KQ, IM is about the experience, NOT the time. When I race hard, I forget things that happened. You don't want to push so hard that you can't remember the day. Enjoy it.  As my big brother would say, "You'll shit it in" in 17 hours. So no pressure. 

It's not all that bad for Ivy to see you like this.  She needs to know that shit like this doesn't come without sacrifice and if you want big things, you need to work for them. But at the same time, you are still listening to her and putting her first. Good for you.

How many days do you have her? Make one of them your rest day?

**** you're a legend 😎✌️😊😊

I have talked to Mooj about that, work and sacrifice equal reward. 🙂👍

I'll contact him this week. 

Thanks. 🙂👌😎

• Like 2

This is not meant to be inspiring just to let you know life is not what we expect so be prepared and tolerant when the obstacles pop up.

• Like 4