nealo

The Mental Health thread

Mental Health  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from a mental illness?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - yet to see a doctor about it
  2. 2. Do you know someone who suffers a mental illness

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know but suspect they do

2 hours ago, KieranR said:

A little bit of progress with my wife last night.  I had my doctors appointment and we did up the care plan, I had to do a test on her computer first and came back with a score of 34/50 which calculates to depression.

When i got home i let my wife know what I'm doing and outlined what i had been talking to the doctor about, it was pretty raw, i was emotionless but she was balling.  afterwards she opened up on her sessions and how the psych wants to send her to Perth to see someone who specializes in childhood trauma, she is scarred and has a lot of baggage from seeing her father violently abuse her mother.  

She has never opened up to me about the level of abuse she witnessed, from what she said last night to me, it was horrendous.  I didn't ask any questions, she needs to work through it with her doctors because it is affecting her clearly, but also our relationship and the way she parents our kids

Anyway we are working in the right direction,  A lot of work to do but its a start

That sounds like great progress.

Well that was an interesting afternoon. 

A break in the weather so took my son (11) out for a quick ride to the whale watching spot at Kurnell. 

just about  to leave when my son hears s yell and points towards the rocks. A man has fallen off and his friend is panicking.

poor guy fell about 10 m into shallow water and never moved again. We were first on scene and I ended up taking over the 000 call from the victims friend as he was too panick stricken. 

We then spent the next 20 mins watching the body get washed around on the rocks so we could guide the “rescuers” in when the chopper finally arrived. 

My son was up on the road directing police and ambos down to where we were.

my son suffers from severe anxiety, at the moment it’s all still a bit of “excitement” but not sure how it will pan out when things calm down.

anyway just another reminder that life is precious, be careful out there. 

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, roxii said:

A break in the weather so took my son (11) out for a quick ride to the whale watching spot at Kurnell. 

just about  to leave when my son hears s yell and points towards the rocks. A man has fallen off and his friend is panicking.

poor guy fell about 10 m into shallow water and never moved again. We were first on scene and I ended up taking over the 000 call from the victims friend as he was too panick stricken. 

We then spent the next 20 mins watching the body get washed around on the rocks so we could guide the “rescuers” in when the chopper finally arrived. 

my son suffers from severe anxiety, at the moment it’s all still a bit of “excitement” but not sure how it will pan out when things calm down.

Holy cow. 

That's intense for the young fella. It goes without saying, but look after each other. Maybe a "man to man" ice cream? 

You're right. Life's precious. 

My best mate since Primary school sent me a pre op picture of himself.... Skin Cancers. I have to get back to him this arvo and ask how it went. He's really pale and freckly, as kids we'd run around getting sunburnt and not think about it. Scary stuff. 

2 hours ago, roxii said:

Bloody hell. Good you were there to be able to be a calm presence when the bloke's friend was obviously unable to be under the circumstances. And great your son was able to be so responsible and helpful at such a tender age. 

Life is definitely precious and so very fragile. At work I see those who lose theirs through accident or incident and I also see those who piss it away with their lifestyle choices and other stupidity. Both circumstances make me mad in different ways. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Wow Roxii, hope your little bloke is ok. Definitely ice cream time!

• Like 1

As others have said, not good Roxii. Not a great thing for an adult to see. From many years of ambulancing and being a community first responder I've seen my fair share of nasty stuff... the weird thing is what will "trigger" remembering it. I've stopped trying to work out the logic behind it and just accept that every now and then I'll get a flashback / emotional response to something that may have happened 3, 4 or even 10 years ago! 

Whenever I'm mentoring somebody who has just seen / experienced their first "crap job" that's the thing I tell them. There's no need to talk about it (unless they want to) but it's perfectly normal for it to freak you out at any point between now and forever.

• Like 1

Hey Roxii, just checking to see that both YOU and your son are doing okay today?  Awful event for all involved.  ❤️

• Like 4

Thanks Skel, all seems pretty good with the young fella today. 

Im ok, didn’t sleep great last night (I usually sleep like a log).

was taking to the wife about it and one if the scary things was that the two guys were pretty close together and if they had both fallen we possibly may not even have known they had fallen. That would have been tragic. 

I think the fact that we were busy while it was happening (trying to direct boats divers and choppers) and the fact that we didn’t actually see him fall and it wasn’t a “gruesome” death took the edge off it slightly. 

Thoughts really go out to the folks that deal with this stuff on a daily basis. The rescue chopper guy first of all risked his safety to retrieve a body, then  had to winch up with a deceased victim that must be tough to deal with. 

Thanks again all, feel like I just need a good run to clear the head, but cant do that.  :sadwalk:

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Kudos to all the people in the front line dealing with such tragedies every day. Huge respect to those people! 

Hope your kid (and you) can work through all what you saw!

In my rock climbing days I found a decomposing body in the bush below a cliff out near Nowra. Hard mental picture to shake!

Edited by Dalai
  • Sad 1

On 04/06/2018 at 4:28 PM, Shrek said:

Life can be such a juggling act.....

Personal life went from good to shit, to very shit, and has now turned full circle and much better.....:-)

Although now work decides its going to screw me over...and getting the blame for things....meh...talk of restructuring me out...

Today i found out the outcome....

This beer tastes good....

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Shrek said:

Bugger. I hope they gave you a decent exit package. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Bugger. I hope they gave you a decent exit package. 

I had to be the support person for someone on Friday when they received their package. The money means stuff all.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

I had to be the support person for someone on Friday when they received their package. The money means stuff all.

The redundancy money, is nice but it is hard to take when it happens to you. I got managed out in 2016 after 16 years.Upside was I was able to reinvent myself and move on.In hindsight it was a blessing. It gives me pleasure to see my old work become a debarkle since  I left.

1 hour ago, BigRig said:

The redundancy money, is nice but it is hard to take when it happens to you. I got managed out in 2016 after 16 years.Upside was I was able to reinvent myself and move on.In hindsight it was a blessing. It gives me pleasure to see my old work become a debarkle since  I left.

Ditto. But 2015 after 10 yrs.

Landed on my feet with brilliant people

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I would love to get a redundancy package, bring it on I say

10 minutes ago, -H- said:

Yeah but nah. Wasnt a good interim period. Depends on the resources you have to whittle through

• Like 1

I'm in a place where I'd be quite comfortable whittling through my resources while waiting for an opportunity to knock

• Like 3

1 hour ago, -H- said:

1 hour ago, Turts said:

Yeah but nah. Wasnt a good interim period. Depends on the resources you have to whittle through

It also depends on how much it's worth, and your employment prospects. I know a few in my area that are trying to get out with a package. They are looking at a couple hundred grand, and can walk into a job with less stress paying $80K pa. They are in their 60's and looking to wind down.

Me, I'd like 5 more years, then I'd jump at it, but if the opportunity came up, I'd be thinking seriously now. My wife is the handbrake there. Too cautious.

edit: I had to select, and then let go a few guys a number of years ago. They didn't want to go, but it had been decreed from a lot higher up that the numbers had to come down. It was one of the hardest jobs I've ever had, and boy did they hate me for a while. I'm still in contact with 2 of them, and they are all over it now, and probably doing better than they were. My comments above in no way meant I thought everyone that gets made redundant will be better off. I know it all depends on the circumstances at the time, and the opportunities that come along.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

The guy I’m supporting has been on the edge & suffering mental health issues for the last 12months. 

Now he has got this kick in the guts.

For the record I think the company has done everything right & tried to help him as much as possible.

He hasn’t tried to turn things around at work & hasn’t been performing to level expected of his position. We lost the contract & only have work for 4 of the 5 people with his skill set on other projects.

It doesn’t make it any easier & I worry about him

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Shrek said:

Sorry to hear mate.

FWIW, as someone who has been on the receiving end twice, both times after short tenure so the money was bugger all, and at very, very trying times (think post separation, post surgery/recovery, not in a good head space etc etc), I just wanted to let you know that this stuff works out.

Good people will find a way. I know it looks pretty bleak at the moment, but re-set yourself formulate a plan and execute!!

Good luck

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 8:36 PM, -H- said:

I'm in a place where I'd be quite comfortable whittling through my resources while waiting for an opportunity to knock

Pay out?. I have seen people just about end up in a psych ward who have sued for damages or been granted it..

Edited by Chuckie M