nealo

The Mental Health thread

Mental Health  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from a mental illness?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - yet to see a doctor about it
  2. 2. Do you know someone who suffers a mental illness

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know but suspect they do

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

Bloody hell mate, that's terrible.  We just had a H&S conference at work, it's not directly related to my role but in my industry we are using virtual reality simulators for things like scaffolding and working at height. It's a huge issue and absoulutely, everyone needs to come safe.

Was at a conference earlier this week, got demos on the VR training and think it is about to come in big time across lots of training in workplaces.  Great key note speaker on employee wellness, main takeaway is employers of choice need to move from ensuring employees go home safe, to ensuring employees go home in a better state than they arrived

• Like 1

Well, Christmas day is almost upon us. This time of year has been enjoyable for the last 7 or so years, but this one will be tough.

I am now single and with no time to plan, stuck in Sydney alone. Could not get to Melbourne without it costing a fortune. My exes dad and his partner have invited me to their Xmas lunch, but I feel a little awkward being there, even if my ex is not. My friends will be doing the family thing, not entirely sure if I want to get out on the bike with mad drivers everywhere!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Well, Christmas day is almost upon us. This time of year has been enjoyable for the last 7 or so years, but this one will be tough.

I am now single and with no time to plan, stuck in Sydney alone. Could not get to Melbourne without it costing a fortune. My exes dad and his partner have invited me to their Xmas lunch, but I feel a little awkward being there, even if my ex is not. My friends will be doing the family thing, not entirely sure if I want to get out on the bike with mad drivers everywhere!

I hear you!

Although I'm not single and I have my wife and kids, we will be spending Xmas totally by ourselves (im cool with that) but my wife will struggle a bit, Karratha empties out at Xmas time and it becomes quite lonely, most of her friends have bailed for the next couple of weeks so I have to come up with something to keep the spirits up over the next week or so.

It can be a tough period to get through

1 hour ago, MissJess said:

My friends will be doing the family thing, not entirely sure if I want to get out on the bike with mad drivers everywhere!

Not sure about Sydney, but around lunch time on Xmas day is the quietest daylight period on the roads all year in Brisbane. It's busy before that as everyone heads out to lunch, and busy again after as they head off to the next meal, but there is about 2 to 3 hours when you can ride on main roads that were previously far to busy for most to contemplate.

Up until about 8am is really good too.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

4 hours ago, KieranR said:

I hear you!

Although I'm not single and I have my wife and kids, we will be spending Xmas totally by ourselves (im cool with that) but my wife will struggle a bit, Karratha empties out at Xmas time and it becomes quite lonely, most of her friends have bailed for the next couple of weeks so I have to come up with something to keep the spirits up over the next week or so.

It can be a tough period to get through

It can be tough. A thought - Skype be your friend..... Organise a few incoming and outgoing. Maybe you can organise a couple of her friends to call on the day as a surprise. Share the day using the current technology.

FM

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MissJess said:

Hard call there. I hope the day works out and you find a little inner peace.

Stay safe.

Mick - your a#rse slapping friend

8 hours ago, MissJess said:

Miss Jess,  between my divorce and meeting  the awesome Mrs FP, I spent many a Xmas alone with family 12,000 miles away. It does seem bad at first but I got into a routine of doing exactly what I wanted in the morning, surf, ride ( roads were quiet around Akuna Bay) and then would visit friends in the afternoon/evening.

Sydney is full of geographic orphans and I found once people knew you'd be on your own, the offers came thick and fast.

It seems bad at first but you can still have a great day ( and skip all the family arguments :lol: )

• Like 5

If you like your ex's dad & his  partner and get on with them, it might be nice to pop in there and spend some time with them while your ex isn't there.  Sometimes one of the hardest things about breakups is losing your second family, but it doesn't necessarily have to be that way.  I'm still friends with an ex-brother-in-law and an ex-mother-in-law (from different exes) and will still go out of my way to catch up with them if I get the chance.  Don't feel obliged to, but don't rule it out either.

I have family coming to my place for xmas for the first time in years, but in other years when I've been a xmas orphan I've always had friends make me feel like part of their family - there are always others in the same boat.  Take up offers and go with the flow, and I hope you have a great day!

Tough Miss Jess. 

I'd drop in to the exs parents for a drink or coffee. It's human contact. 

I'm very very lucky to have my daughter as I have no other family in Perth. 

Katz, have a great birthday. Beach, beers and cricket.... 😎👍👍

Unless you have to work. But that's what I would do. 

Take care all. You're all awesome. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MissJess said:

I used to hate Christmas with a passion - something about working in Family Law and seeing parents use children as pawns and weapons and then working weekends in a shop!!!! It brought out the very worst in people and I used to switch off and disengage entirely. I found the whole thing draining, so would disappear early on Christmas morning for a ride and come back just before lunch in the mid afternoon. 

I am now part of a family which embraces Christmas for all of the right reasons and am starting to feel like a child again at Christmas. Seeing the positive and recognising how fortunate I am.

I probably wouldn't do lunch with the ex's family, as nice as it sounds that they have invited you.

Could I suggest you do a Parkrun on Christmas morning as a start. You will find some other people who are in a similar situation and who knows what might happen. Otherwise, find a lake to swim, a hill to ride up or a forest trail to run.

Have a safe one, though.

• Like 4

Sorry to hear you'll be on your own Miss Jess, but as others have said, try and take up the offers presented. Or just plan a day being self-indulgent.

I am very grateful I am working both Christmas Day and my Birthday (thanks for the wishes BTW). I am a geographic orphan here in Perth, with all my friends and family on the east coast, so being at work gives me the chance to be around people (as much as I don't always enjoy 'peopling'), and spreading Christmas Cheer around the hospital, otherwise I would too be on my own. 

• Like 3

Sorry to hear that not everyone will be having the Christmas they wanted, I guess that's life.  Like everyone else has said, just try and make the most of it.  Perhaps try to find others in an even worse situation and try and make their Christmas (and life in general) a little better.  There's plenty of people who are extremely lonely and sad most of the time and I'm sure they'd love a bit of company or help at this time.  Helping others always makes me feel better about things.

Failing that, just get on here and talk to us!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

And I'm not fully East, I'm west of the Blue Mountains... :lol:.

All the best bits are!

• Haha 1

Looks like my run coach has invited everyone over who is at a loose end. So I will be going over there. I just feel plain awkward going near the exes family at the moment, at least it is not his mother, she never liked me. I figured as much.

Not crying, have a drink this afternoon with someone, and a date or two booked over the break. Hoping to find the one guy who can put up with my triathlon crap and me being an extrovert.

• Like 8

Signed and filed the divorce application today. 8 Feb 2018 is the big day, then a month and a day for it to be absolute. Rather annoyed I am having to divorce at all, but very happy that phase of my life is very nearly over. 

Also, I work in an ED at a tertiary hospital. Last night we had the first two attempted Christmas suicides come through the door. It is such a shit time for so many people. Please keep safe everyone, keep in contact with those around you who may be at risk, reach out if you need it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Katz said:

Signed and filed the divorce application today. 8 Feb 2018 is the big day, then a month and a day for it to be absolute. Rather annoyed I am having to divorce at all, but very happy that phase of my life is very nearly over. 

Also, I work in an ED at a tertiary hospital. Last night we had the first two attempted Christmas suicides come through the door. It is such a shit time for so many people. Please keep safe everyone, keep in contact with those around you who may be at risk, reach out if you need it. 

Full on. That'd be intense. Good on you for doing the job you do 👍

1 hour ago, Katz said:

14 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

It can be. I feel a weird privilege being able to be there with and for someone who is at the  worst possible point in their life, or even the end of it. Messes with you sometimes though.