nealo

The Mental Health thread

Mental Health  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from a mental illness?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - yet to see a doctor about it
  2. 2. Do you know someone who suffers a mental illness

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know but suspect they do

Wow Gillian, so sorry to hear all that. Thoughts are with you and Mr T and hopefully a quick recovery and smooth trip back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trinube said:

Wow Gillian, so sorry to hear all that. Thoughts are with you and Mr T and hopefully a quick recovery and smooth trip back.

Same xx

Thanks for listening. Today was mostly good. I got the car back and within half an hour had buggered a tyre. I don't yet know where the car sits on the road. Got to a servo and it was totalled. But it was next to a E.Leclerc auto who had most likely the only pair of tyres to fit within miles. Fixed. That was the really bad bit.

The good bit was being taken to the town markets and then being invited back to the previous hosts for lunch. M. had been a chef just short of one star. Cooked moules fresh from the market. Stunning meal. Jeff is feeling better but still bleeding so is happy to be where he is. The nurses are laughing at his French - cafe Olé - so he's in a happy place mentally. French hospital food is fair to OK. 

I'll out myself here as I think posting it will make me follow up.  But I'll ring my doc again today as I need to do something.  But this year so far has really been a nightmare for me.  I went off my meds at the start of the year after seeing a psychiatrist (with the intention of getting a more focused experienced attention towards meds) and it's been a bad idea.  I've actively tried to work less this year, not working weekends (or not as much anyway) etc, and I know my wife has telling me that we need to watch our spending, but I didn't know how bad things had gotten.  And I don't think it's been our spending, I think it's been our money coming in, as I don't think we spend much.  But I've been ratshit at work this year, totally unfocused, and it's shown.  Turns out we've been digging into the home loan to stay ahead.  I thought maybe a little, but turns out it's a lot.  I wish she'd told me how badly from the start but I don't think she wanted me to know and maybe felt just gentle prodding would be enough.

I don't just wanna blame it on my probs, I know I've been lazy.  But I just can't afford to be anymore and have to do something more significant about it.  It's been good to see a shrink for this year, though not often enough, and actually be truthful with her.  She's been pretty good a listening, I'm very good at talking shock horror, but she's said she really really wants me to find a meditation retreat or something to find some peace.  She's also questioned why I stopped taking meds......... and that's driven Rob mad.  Anyway, sorry for the ramble, but I feel if I out myself I'm more likely to take the steps I'll usually avoid.

Mr T is out of hospital a day earlier than we thought. Surgery on Monday night once all the bleeding had stopped to explore why and fix.  Sort of a version of a decoke and valve grind.  Released once he was over the general anaesthetic as the op had no cut.  

Due to the mismatch between the travel insurance's need for a medical report and the French system of providing one only when everything is known, I knew I would have to pay and claim back and called the insurance company to let them know that was the plan.  

I was a bit worried about the cost exceeding my pay anyone limit and the phone banking was closed for the night.  Silly me. 

If you ever need to get sick anywhere else in the world, chose France.  6500 EUR all up for six nights in hospital, CT scan, innumerable pathology tests, two surgeons, anaesthetist, surgery, medication, drip, catheter........ including 18EUR per day for food - which was quite good according to the patient. 

We'll stay two more nights here (Avranches) to be sure he's strong then head south and on to Barcelona. 

• Like 4

That's good to hear T, and also about the costs.  The thought of being caught overseas sick can be a bit daunting costs wise in particular. 

Pretty sure thats cheaper than our Parisienne hotel room. Might stay there next time myself :lol:

Glad everything is back on track and MrT is well. 

Enjoy the rest of the holiday. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, goughy said:

That's good to hear T, and also about the costs.  The thought of being caught overseas sick can be a bit daunting costs wise in particular. 

Dead right goughy.  Although insurance will pick up the tab I was really worried that I'd be stuck unable to transfer sufficient funds in one hit.  I truly thought it would be about three times the actual amount.  I had to ask the accounts woman twice if she was sure that was it.  Whatever the surgery, its a flat daily rate. As I said, if you've got to get sick anywhere, chose France, cheap and the most thorough medical care I've seen anywhere. 

And roxii, where do you stay in Paris?  We do apartments on the relative cheap always <200EUR per night, forget hotels. 

BTW, the hospital he was in was relocated to its current site from within the old town in 1250.  Yes, 1250! It has been modernised since. 

32 minutes ago, tortoise said:

BTW, the hospital he was in was relocated to its current site from within the old town in 1250.  Yes, 1250! It has been modernised since. 

Did they remember to bring the leech colonies with them?  

Hope Mr T is still doing well, I remember TOing with him years ago

Happy Mental Health Day +1 and Happy Mental Health Week to all Trannies and their loved ones.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

There is nothing like catching up with old friends. It is fuel for the soul.  Three weeks ago, it was six of us in the Gold Coast. Today it was farewelling someone from work with 44 years in the place. He was my boss from 1985 -1988 but have stayed friends since. A kiss from me to him and all the others that turned up.

Feed the soul - enjoy your friends and memories.

FM

• Like 4

Good to hear you are through the other side Katz but sorry you had to go that way.

Remember when we said your plan wouldn't work?  Sometimes you have to live it to believe it.

Now, get on with that bright future you've carved out for yourself B)

• Like 2

Welcome back Katz.   Was wondering how your were going. 

Am happy to help anyway with your uni, can help to read over assignments for you (not sure what you are studying.....lol) and be a 'mentor'.

:D

• Like 1

Thanks guys. It's great to be back. I plan on being around a lot more.

FP, I know, I know. I guess I always knew it wouldn't work long term too. I had to try though.

Skel, I'm studying physiotherapy. Someone to read over assignments is always welcome. :D

• Like 5

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:41 PM, Katz said:

The best part though is, in the last few weeks, I have become happy. Really bloody happy.

Excellent, that's great news.  And a good reminder that there's always a silver lining somewhere, even in the darkest of cloudy skies.

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:41 PM, Katz said:

I have a long way to go.

Even the longest of journeys start with the first step, and it sounds like you've already taken it.

Now keep going, we're with you!

• Like 2

I missed a call on Saturday, and im not normally one to check my messages on my phone, i figure they will call back if they need me, but something told me to check it, it was from my mum, my dad is not doing well, she found him earlier last week after downing a large amount of pills, he tried taking his life and thankfully he wasn't successful, I cant help but feel that he is determined to do this though.

12 months ago he had a fall and has been on a pretty vicious downward spiral since, he had a heart attack and a stroke, however he has had his license taken off him as he is suffering blackouts so cannot be risked on the road behind the wheel, which has made him feel totally useless, has lost his independence and now relies on mum 100% to get him around

My dad is not a great communicator and nor is my mum and as a result over the years i have drifted away from them quite a lot, but this has rocked me.  i dont feel as though there is much i can do, I have given them the Councillor from my work number as they are entitled to free sessions from that if they cant chat with their doctors at any point.

Is there anything else i can do? we are on opposite sides of the country.  my little brother is flying up to townsville next week to spend some time with Dad, my other brother lives in Townsville I think, so i presume he would be seeing him.

I feel offended that he would want to do this....he has grankids that need him, mum needs him, lots of people need / want him around.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, KieranR said:

I feel offended that he would want to do this....he has grankids that need him, mum needs him, lots of people need / want him around.

If communication isn't great then he may not know this. All he may feel is that he is a burden to your mum, and feels he is dong everyone a favour by not being a burden. 

Get on the phone, call him, have the kids talk to him, let him KNOW you all need him around.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, roxii said:

If communication isn't great then he may not know this. All he may feel is that he is a burden to your mum, and feels he is dong everyone a favour by not being a burden. 

Get on the phone, call him, have the kids talk to him, let him KNOW you all need him around.

Thank you, yes i have spoken to him yesterday, he's not doing real well, you can tell just talking to him that hes not engaging. ill keep calling but i dont want to annoy him, he probably has enough people to do that at the moment.  Should i let his brothers know? they are not close either, 2 live in NZ and one in Canberra, his poor communication skills expand to his siblings also, pretty sure they would want to know though.

Yes mate, let everyone who does or may care about him know. If it all goes south its too late for anything but regrets. 

Do everything YOU can now. If others choose not to act, that will be their choice, but ensure you do all you can. 

Get the kids to make him a card and post it with some photos etc. Make plans for the future,,, tell him you are planning to vivt and bring the kids etc. Give him more reasons to stick around than not. 

• Like 6