nealo

The Mental Health thread

Mental Health  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from a mental illness?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - yet to see a doctor about it
  2. 2. Do you know someone who suffers a mental illness

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know but suspect they do

zed    752
On 2017-6-14 at 2:14 PM, CarpeDiem said:

Hi all, if anyone's interested, I've just started a blog about my own journey with depression.

www.chasingtheblackdog.com

cool, I'll have a read. :)

Oh, just realised you've only just started!

Edited by zed

FatPom    2,216

Got a battle of my own going on at the moment but this thread puts it into perspective and also reminds me what a great community we have here (wherever we are).B)

• Like 4

skel    224

Hope you're okay FP.  No matter what is going on, how big or small, it is still your battle. 

Just a heard that a third cousin is missing from the Grenfell Tower.  I have been watching and feeling terrible sad watching this as by stander from other side of the world. Now, one of those missing is one of mine.  Even though we have never meet, half of my family live in the UK.  

I can't image those last hours for those inside; watching some of videos has been gut wrenching. A reminder, live for the now, and love those around you and tell them that you love them!!!

The UK in general is just going through an awful time. 

FatPom    2,216

Thanks Skel,

I've had a physical setback, something went 'bang' in my hip/back region and have been reduced to crawling around or lying in bed since Wed night.  I'm hoping it's just a 'thing' and will settle down. Been in bloody agony and the Dr has prescribed some elephant stoppers which has eased things a bit.  Training was going well up to this stage, and again Mrs FP has been a rock but I hate putting her through this :(

As I say though, that is really small compared to what others are going through here.  The news about the fire is so very tragic and I really do hope you have some good news regarding your relative.

When we moved here, living or working in London was never part of our plan and never will be but everyone in the country feels the pain of the fire or the attacks, wherever they happen.  

For whatever reason, your life can turn so quickly and so often we forget to take the time to be thankful for what we have.

• Like 2

surfer101    182
2 hours ago, skel said:

Hope you're okay FP.  No matter what is going on, how big or small, it is still your battle. 

Just a heard that a third cousin is missing from the Grenfell Tower.  I have been watching and feeling terrible sad watching this as by stander from other side of the world. Now, one of those missing is one of mine.  Even though we have never meet, half of my family live in the UK.  

I can't image those last hours for those inside; watching some of videos has been gut wrenching. A reminder, live for the now, and love those around you and tell them that you love them!!!

The UK in general is just going through an awful time. 

Thinking of you  Skel & your family far away xxx

surfer101    182
7 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Thanks Skel,

I've had a physical setback, something went 'bang' in my hip/back region and have been reduced to crawling around or lying in bed since Wed night.  I'm hoping it's just a 'thing' and will settle down. Been in bloody agony and the Dr has prescribed some elephant stoppers which has eased things a bit.  Training was going well up to this stage, and again Mrs FP has been a rock but I hate putting her through this :(

As I say though, that is really small compared to what others are going through here.  The news about the fire is so very tragic and I really do hope you have some good news regarding your relative.

When we moved here, living or working in London was never part of our plan and never will be but everyone in the country feels the pain of the fire or the attacks, wherever they happen.  

For whatever reason, your life can turn so quickly and so often we forget to take the time to be thankful for what we have.

Get better soon but dont rush if that makes sense. Mrs FP is a champion x

• Like 3

Ayto    340

Sorry to hear about your back troubles (again) Ian. Hopefully you are up and about again soon.

And Skel, thoughts are with you and yours.

• Like 1

trinube    1,048
On 17/06/2017 at 4:45 PM, FatPom said:

I've had a physical setback, something went 'bang' in my hip/back region and have been reduced to crawling around or lying in bed since Wed night.  I'm hoping it's just a 'thing' and will settle down.

Sorry to hear that mate - hopefully it will calm down with a bit of rest. Don't overdo it ;)

• Like 1

trinube    1,048
On 17/06/2017 at 2:44 PM, skel said:

Thoughts with you and the family Skel - really sad news.

• Like 1

FFF1077    142

That's no good Skel. 

It was a horrible thing, I have a friend over there who lived nearby.....she was really disturbed by it all. I can't imagine what you are feeling. Hugs to you. 

FP, take care mate. Gently does it. Recuperate slowly and be kind to yourself. Can't rush the body. Do keep moving though, great for the mental health. ?

• Like 2

Bored@work    1,439

Well, after 14 years of working on a project.  I found out on Wednesday we lost the contract & it's been awarded to our competitor.  

I have worked my way up from a store man to a Senior Quality Engineering role. I have been busting my ass and doing the hard yards to progress in the company.   Spent yesterday deleting stuff I have been working on for years.  Preparing it to be handed over to the winning contractor.  I have gone from presenting a gold ribbon solution to the bare minimum to meet our contractual obligations.  

I need to put the business needs before mine but fk it sucks.  

The worst thing is I'm currently working in the same building as the winning contractor. So they are all happy and can't wait for the future hand over.  

I guess there always has to be a winner & a loser but fk it sucks to be on the losing team.

I keep reminding myself I'm a professional and get paid well for doing my role but the next 12 months  (phase out & hand over) is going to be bloody hard.  

Work & my girls have been my "rocks" over the last few months.  One of my buddies at work is suffering severe depression.  The only reason why he didn't hang himself in April was he wanted to congratulate my on my race at IM Texas when I got back to work. 

My other close friend who I raced my first IM with is battling Parkinsons disease & isn't coping and on Wednesday morning told me if it gets any worse he's going to end it on his terms. 

Thanks for the vent.  

It's now time to iron a shirt & go to work.  I'm not going to sook about it or play the victim but damm it sucks. 

Ayto    340

Sorry to hear Dave. Crappy position to be in especially after so long working to deliver to such a high standard.

No doubt the next opportunity to will come along soon and will be focus moving forward.

In the meantime, stay confident and continue to be true to yourself. That means significantly more than work crap.

• Like 2

Ex-Hasbeen    3,801

Yeah, that sucks. You never know what it will lead to in the end though.

I had similar happen years back when I was working on TV & Radio Transmission sites. The Government of the time decided that it would put it out to contract, and that no contractor could win all 5 regions. Qld had just been through a refurbishment program, and had new gear just about everywhere, so we knew which area they were going to give to the new boys on the block.

I got out, found a new job & haven't looked back.

goughy    1,999

I remember when the organisation my mates wife worked for was going through the process of trying to keep their govt contact. It was their only contact so no contract no company, no job.

It was a very stressful time for her meaning it was bloody stressful for him! Was a tough time for them both.  Sorry to hear B.

FatPom    2,216
6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yeah, that sucks. You never know what it will lead to in the end though.

I had similar happen years back when I was working on TV & Radio Transmission sites. The Government of the time decided that it would put it out to contract, and that no contractor could win all 5 regions. Qld had just been through a refurbishment program, and had new gear just about everywhere, so we knew which area they were going to give to the new boys on the block.

I got out, found a new job & haven't looked back.

MDSS deployment?  We should have a chat 'Yes' :lol:

Bored@work    1,439

Yep agree. A lot of other people a lot worse off than me.

Got my health, wife, daughter & dog.  Everything else is materialistic.  I'll bounce back.  Never going to play the victim

• Like 3

CarpeDiem    63
On 6/30/2017 at 6:56 PM, Bored@work said:

Yep agree. A lot of other people a lot worse off than me.

Got my health, wife, daughter & dog.  Everything else is materialistic.  I'll bounce back.  Never going to play the victim

What a great way to look at it Bored. The situation sucks no matter what but it's great that you can still find the positives in your life.

monkie    142

Wow! Just caught up with the last three pages of this thread. Sitting in a backroom at work on hold to British Airways and my face is leaking.

I've said before that I am so grateful to Triathlon for almost certainly saving my life but reading all the stories you see here I can't help but thing of the old "There but for the grace of god go I". It's humbling and I'm incredibly fortunate to have (largely) come out the other side of the worst bits!

• Like 4

trinube    1,048
On 30/06/2017 at 8:31 AM, Bored@work said:

Well, after 14 years of working on a project.  I found out on Wednesday we lost the contract & it's been awarded to our competitor.

Sorry to hear Dave but I'm confident you'll be fine. Cheers mate.

Flanman    1,097

My daughter came home in tears on the weekend and has been in mild shock for a couple of days. Her friends' husband had an  accident on the weekend and passed away. 28 year old with an 11 month old baby. He is self employed and his wife has a part-time self employed job.

He was pronounced brain dead on Sunday but was kept on the machines so they could work out what organs could be taken as a donor. His wife (my daughter's friend) laid with him overnight so she could say her farewells. I am not sure when the machines were turned of - I think Monday. Her father was also in an accident a number of years ago and cannot move well. I understand her mother has passed away a number of years ago. My daughter drove over on Sunday to help move people around so they could pick up their cars.

Talking with my daughter, they were a fantastic couple and he just loved life, friends and family. My daughter is so distraught as this is too close to her plus she is worried how her friend and daughter will survive. All I did and will continue to do is listen and talk to my daughter, offer a shoulder and keep an eye on her.

I just wouldn't know how to deal with something like this if I was in her friend's shoes, and at her age. I guess she would be in too much shock to even contemplate trying to work through his business, ongoing short term requirements let alone the funeral. At least they have a great and extensive group of friends. One of them started a GoFundMe page on Monday and so far have raised $26K. 

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/macarthur/campbelltowns-rugby-league-community-is-in-mourning-after-the-death-of-east-campbelltown-eagles-legend-wayde-dunley/news-story/daa60e61c1682cc149b9cfdb8a67b0f1

Rock fishing is one of the most dangerous sports in Australia. It is an absolute shame that a life so young is lost.

FM

monkie    142

I lost my best mate to a car accident when he (we) were 27. It's terrible when anybody goes before their time but when they are at the "beginning of the proper grown up bit" it hits even harder.

There's nothing that makes it better except time. Four years later I still think about my mate pretty regularly but usually it's with a wry smile at fond memories rather than being distraught. Obviously at times it's harder than others (doing my grooms speech at my wedding was tough) but, impossible as it sounds in the aftermath, time heals.

• Like 1

Ayto    340

Sorry to hear the situation for you and yours Flannie and I have nothing to offer except my best wishes and some thoughts from a similar experience.

I lost my best mate a bit over 2 years ago unexpectedly. He was only 54 but fit and healthy.  My wife and I spent many nights sitting beside him as he was on life support before the family were advised and ultimately decided to turn it all off.  He went within minutes of the machine being turned off.

It took a significant amount of adjustment once he was gone, and I still sometimes message him via Facebook when I need to talk to him.  Whilst I still miss him, and it hurts that he is gone, as Monkie says above, time does heal.

Whilst it is early days for you guys stay strong and support each other as best you can.  I really do feel for you in this case, as 28 is far too young to be lost.

All the best

Ayto

• Like 2

goughy    1,999

My best mate passed about a decade ago..... I still think of him often and still miss our daily calls. I still go visit him and leave the odd good ball for him. And still ride his favourite bike every week. You never forget them.

Flan, he was only about 30 with a wide and young kids, who don't really remember him the days. But they got by, and so will your daughter's friend and family. It won't be easy, but they will!

• Like 1

Dalai    127

Take care everyone and don't take a moment for granted!

Coming up to my wife's second year anniversary of her cancer diagnosis and first anniversary of her passing on the 2nd August. Wishing the pain and sadness can lessen at some point...