nealo

The Mental Health thread

Mental Health  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from a mental illness?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - yet to see a doctor about it
  2. 2. Do you know someone who suffers a mental illness

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know but suspect they do

2 hours ago, AA7 said:

From your weekend FB posts from parkrun, I assume that Lily is not really into it as much as Olivia? But I think it's great that she volunteers. 

Correct, and I make sure that I make a big deal about her doing this. They don't often let kids volunteer unsupervised but she prooved herself the first time around and now they love her. She does a great job.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Correct, and I make sure that I make a big deal about her doing this. They don't often let kids volunteer unsupervised but she prooved herself the first time around and now they love her. She does a great job.

Yeh, volunteering is great thing for kids to do.

• Like 1

In the pilbara in the last 4 weeks we have had 6 suicides including a 12 year old girl in port hedland last Sunday.  I just found out today that two of the men who passed away i knew personally, worked with one closely about ten years ago and then the last 3 years have been on the same site as him again albeit working for different companies, another was one of the apprentices on this site also.

I just wish they had of reached out...to anyone.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, KieranR said:

In the pilbara in the last 4 weeks we have had 6 suicides including a 12 year old girl in port hedland last Sunday.  I just found out today that two of the men who passed away i knew personally, worked with one closely about ten years ago and then the last 3 years have been on the same site as him again albeit working for different companies, another was one of the apprentices on this site also.

I just wish they had of reached out...to anyone.

Wow. That's sad :(

And the 12 year old!??? My goodness :(

11 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Wow. That's sad :(

And the 12 year old!??? My goodness :(

And also a 14 yr old girl from a remote Kimberly community last week, both young girls from aboriginal families, the news article i read on both of them has said there is a review or report being done on the effects of alcohol dysfunction in aboriginal communities, which may be a part of the reason these young kids are taking their lives, having spent a lot of time in the communities up there, alcohol misuse is high even in the communities where there are dry towns, they will head to the outskirts and sit there and drink and be violent, then come back to town.  I've seen it with my own eyes.  It's terribly sad

• Sad 4

On 10/01/2019 at 5:34 PM, AA7 said:

Yeh, volunteering is great thing for kids to do.

I made both my kids volunteer as part of their CV in the lead up to Year 10. Each time it was the Sydney Marathon. They were a little hesitant but I told them no butts. They like it so much after the first time, they did it again. My daughter was even showing her team supervisor what to do and how to do things properly. I just kept on working as a volunteer and having a little chuckle to myself - a 14 year old showing a Uni student the best way to do things. It built a lot of confidence and character  

FM

• Like 2

Im writing here because its a safe place for me so please no judgment.  I'm struggling.  Left home last night just feeling overwhelmingly sad, not sure why, but i went for a swim and then didn't come home until close to 3 am.

I literally am just feeling sad (it's hard to explain)  - theres a bit going on in my life but nothing i feel thats driving me to this feeling etc. 

Soon to be redundant possibly, its a bit unknown, this contract is winding up but work have said they want to keep me, but no new offer yet, not worried about this as there a few options.  Will wait and see how it pans out

Things at home with the kids are good - I've been an improved dad recently

Things with wife are still moving forward (refer previous posts)

So im really not sure why i feel this way, when i cam home early this morning she ripped into me (understandably)  I scared her last night and she was genuinely terrified i was gone, Probably because i said dont wait up for me as i walked out the door and didn't take my phone or anything with me, i drove around for hours and climbed up our big water tank and just sat there, totally numb for hours.

• Sad 4

Kieran, I know myself, sometimes I just feel sad. Nothing specific, just sad. I'm not sure it's anything I need to worry about as I know I get back out of it pretty quickly. I think the key for me is not being too concerned about it and just letting it happen. 

I know at times it can be really necessary to withdraw. But scaring your SO is not ideal. Communicating how you are feeling and the need for some space is definitely a better way to handle it. Less likely to get you torn a new one too. I'm unsure if you guys are in the place you need to be for that kind of communication at this stage though.

Please talk if you need it Kieran, and if you don't, know there are many thinking of you. x

• Like 4

Kieran,

100% what Katz has said and suggested.Just keep on talking to people on here and to those around you.

Edited by BigRig
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, KieranR said:

Im writing here because its a safe place for me so please no judgment. 

That was established as a given fifty pages ago

Vent brother, that's what the thread is for

• Like 2

Well to put a smile on my face this arvo I decided to leave work early and go and watch my daughter do her introductory to scuba diving course, only 8 months until she can do her junior open water dive ticket.  In the meantime I’ll be taking her for shore dives up to about 8m with her breathing off my octopus (emergency reg for the uninitiated).  She nailed it in the pool today.

• Like 8

19 hours ago, KieranR said:

Im writing here because its a safe place for me so please no judgment.  I'm struggling.  Left home last night just feeling overwhelmingly sad, not sure why, but i went for a swim and then didn't come home until close to 3 am.

I literally am just feeling sad (it's hard to explain)  - theres a bit going on in my life but nothing i feel thats driving me to this feeling etc. 

Soon to be redundant possibly, its a bit unknown, this contract is winding up but work have said they want to keep me, but no new offer yet, not worried about this as there a few options.  Will wait and see how it pans out

Things at home with the kids are good - I've been an improved dad recently

Things with wife are still moving forward (refer previous posts)

So im really not sure why i feel this way, when i cam home early this morning she ripped into me (understandably)  I scared her last night and she was genuinely terrified i was gone, Probably because i said dont wait up for me as i walked out the door and didn't take my phone or anything with me, i drove around for hours and climbed up our big water tank and just sat there, totally numb for hours.

That's shit you feel like this. Sorry. It's perfectly normal to feel crap though. Agreed, you should've told your other half you needed time but you would be back, but I get why you did what you did. Sometimes all the little things just pile up. There's sometimes nothing that you FEEL is significant but lots of little bricks can make one bloody big building and maybe that's just what's going on with you. How's your sleep?

Take care and vent whenever you want to.

Hey Kieran,

It happens. I felt miserable yesterday for no reason whatsoever. Just gloomy, couldn't be arsed with work (and we've got a lot on at the moment) etc. So I left the office and went for a walk and then a swim and felt a bit brighter but still quite sad. That's OK. Don't beat yourself up over it.

But like others have said, cutting people out is not the best course of action. It can be tough to say to somebody that you feel sad and no you don't want to talk about it just want to be on your own but yes you are coming back and you will take your phone just in case. But guess what, she loves you and knows you probably better than anybody else in the world (including yourself) and so will understand.

Stay safe and great news on the little one's diving!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KieranR said:

Well to put a smile on my face this arvo I decided to leave work early and go and watch my daughter do her introductory to scuba diving course, only 8 months until she can do her junior open water dive ticket.  In the meantime I’ll be taking her for shore dives up to about 8m with her breathing off my octopus (emergency reg for the uninitiated).  She nailed it in the pool today.

Yep take some time for yourself and enjoy life. 

My wife has been under a load of stress lately at work (way too much work & not enough resources available) and its affecting her mental health. She went in last week & told them she's not coping and will be taking this week off. The regional manager told her she was being silly and they needed her in the branch. 

Her response was if "I come in next week, it will be to clear out my desk & get my belongings" 

Today we are going on a bakery tour and enjoying time as a family.

• Like 2

I'm just EXHAUSTED! I have a resource here who does not seem to think for himself, who does not do the job properly, and then blames everyone else when shit goes wrong. I'm exhausted just dealing with him. The other one in the team is S-L-O-W and does not document, it's shitting me.

Although bright spot is I have a guy who has just started on the 7th and is a breath of fresh air. Exact opposite, only issue was getting all his access sorted!

8 hours ago, KieranR said:

Great move Kieran to do something to make yourself smile. Well done dude. 

Taking time out is ok just be sure to let your wife know 😉 

Edit to add - you dont want to be in the dog house as well 🤔

Edited by Surfer