nealo

The Mental Health thread

Mental Health  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from a mental illness?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - yet to see a doctor about it
  2. 2. Do you know someone who suffers a mental illness

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know but suspect they do

Ex, 

That's heavy news for me to read. Mainly because about 8yrs ago I was a poofteenth away from a massive gumtree but I swerved away and I just clipped the back of the tray of my Ute. I know what you mean. I have been there and I've come through it. If you can, with professional help or someone you trust, stare at what takes you to that headspace and pull it apart. Once it's looked into its often not as overwhelming. ✌️

The only difference is that I have no sporting history to lose. I have read a book by Scott Tinley called Racing the Sunset(pretty sure that was the title) about athletes after their careers. It was a good book. It would be extremely tough to not be able to get around like you could. 

Through counselling with a quality person(hard to find) you could learn to shift your focus from "I can't anymore" to "I can still do". You have children as far as I know, and one thing that I try to do is to be world class at parenting. Not helicopter parenting, just put that work ethic and focus on excellence into being a Dad. I learnt that from Gordo Byrne and his WordPress based blog. Best writer that I've ever read. Period. Plus he can identify with being a high class athlete and the transition to the rest of his life. 

The thing that I have learnt is that it's pretty awesome, just being alive. Just seeing the next day. Just drinking my morning coffee which is instant and bitter and noticing that it's unique. And often we value things because they are unique. But we fail to realise that every day is unique, every moment is a little different. How special is that...? ✌️It's ****ing cool I reckon. That's why I stare at clouds so much. They're all unique and different and I am honestly amazed at how cool that is. How special. It fills me with a sense of calm. 

Please take care of yourself mate. You are the reason why I dig deep in the pool. You're ****ing awesome. I need you around. We need you around. We care and we will listen. 

Cheers mate. Keep talking. 

Sam 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Ex, FP, Kieran, I hear you.  Saw a clinical psychologist briefly a few years ago who I found to be fairly useless, told me something like suicide was "a cowardly way out because of what it did to the people left behind", made me think "mate, I don't think you really understand how shit people can feel, how totally pointless everything can seem". So I just went to bed a lot of nights hoping not to wake up.  He also told me to forget triathlon, you can't fight nature (regarding my knees), take up drawing (which he gleaned was something I'd enjoyed in my childhood - but I already had creative hobbies - fly-tying & model building, so it made no sense to me).  I just stopped seeing him after 4-5 visits.

CN, that dude needs to lose their job!  That is maybe the worst single bit of advice that anyone, let alone a health care professional, can give, and is more likely to prompt an action out of someone than prevent it!  You can tell it's the wrong thing cause it's what I often say to myself, even though I know it's wrong!!

I'll try and put this into a triathlon perspective for us all.  How many on here have sought out a coach to try and reach the next level of performance?  How many here have had more than one coach, or tried a few out until they found the "partnership" that was right for them?  It is no different when looking for a mental health professional to help you out!  The first one may not be the right fit.  The second one even.  It is crucial to find the person to help you out!  It's taken me 30 years to see someone I pretty much don't hold things back with..... and that's 30 years ongoing that has been wasted!  But for most of us, when the first fit isn't right we will give up!!  DO NOT GIVE UP.  If you think you need some help, I'll guarantee you that you do!  Even hugely successful people who have everything going for themselves, and no mental health issues as such, will go seek someone out just to have a bit of a head clean.  It's one of the reasons they're so successful!!  What is the bigger issue is that it can be so difficult to get appointments, and if one doesn't work for you it can be months to get in to see another.  So we give up.  It can be a long stretch and you have to be prepared to put in the long haul, but the end result can be so much worth it.  I've been trying to get into a psychiatrist now for nearly most of this year, with appointments falling through and delays etc etc.  And I've been waiting nearly 4 months to get into this latest one.  But he's been highly recommended so I stick it out.  I wouldn't have in the past.

Ex - I didn't realise you have a brother here so I understand how that can be more confronting for you.  I'll have to bring my mate down (when his wife is feeling better) and you can take us for a swim in that pond of yours!   

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, goughy said:

CN, that dude needs to lose their job!  That is maybe the worst single bit of advice that anyone, let alone a health care professional, can give, and is more likely to prompt an action out of someone than prevent it!  You can tell it's the wrong thing cause it's what I often say to myself, even though I know it's wrong!!

I'll try and put this into a triathlon perspective for us all.  How many on here have sought out a coach to try and reach the next level of performance?  How many here have had more than one coach, or tried a few out until they found the "partnership" that was right for them?  It is no different when looking for a mental health professional to help you out!  The first one may not be the right fit.  The second one even.  It is crucial to find the person to help you out!  It's taken me 30 years to see someone I pretty much don't hold things back with..... and that's 30 years ongoing that has been wasted!  But for most of us, when the first fit isn't right we will give up!!  DO NOT GIVE UP.  If you think you need some help, I'll guarantee you that you do!  Even hugely successful people who have everything going for themselves, and no mental health issues as such, will go seek someone out just to have a bit of a head clean.  It's one of the reasons they're so successful!!  What is the bigger issue is that it can be so difficult to get appointments, and if one doesn't work for you it can be months to get in to see another.  So we give up.  It can be a long stretch and you have to be prepared to put in the long haul, but the end result can be so much worth it.  I've been trying to get into a psychiatrist now for nearly most of this year, with appointments falling through and delays etc etc.  And I've been waiting nearly 4 months to get into this latest one.  But he's been highly recommended so I stick it out.  I wouldn't have in the past.

Ex - I didn't realise you have a brother here so I understand how that can be more confronting for you.  I'll have to bring my mate down (when his wife is feeling better) and you can take us for a swim in that pond of yours!   

He was German mate.  What more can I say :lol:

I also just remembered, he suggested my wife would think less of me as a man because I was appearing weak.

Rolled gold genius this bloke was!  Maybe he was in fact a serial killer with a very clever modus operandi?

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

All I can say, CN, is **** me!

Take care ExH. 

Our physical health & mental health are ying/yang to our complete wellbeing. Its crap when one is off kilter because of the impact on the other.

I can only echo what Goughy said - bloody hard to find somone you connect with but dont give up looking. Youre here for us as we are for you. Hugs x

Edited by Surfer
Sp
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear you are struggling Ex. But very glad you've made the decision to speak up. This stuff loses some of its power once it is verbalised. 

Sadly, I too know the feeling of "what if I just.....?" I used to ride a Vespa to and from work. Often while riding on the freeway I would consider just drifting off into a guardrail. 

Today, I too am struggling. The day before yesterday there was an issue at work which has left me feeling really low. I left work early that day and then didn't go to work yesterday. I have to work today and the thought of going there is filling me with anxiety. Unfortunately when anxious, I lack tolerance and am incredibly irritable. Not a good combination when you're dealing with people all day. 

Keep talking Ex. 

• Sad 3

13 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'm really not in a good place at the moment. My job is safe (so far), but I've had to tell a lot of people recently that they didn't have a job any more. That hurt bad. A lot of people don't realise that, and I don't feel I got the support I needed at the time. There's also a lot of other issues happening at the moment too.

Mate, it sucks having to do this job.  The good news is that you still feel this, seen too many people that can do this without emotion and even 1 or 2 that seemed to get some weird sort of pleasure out of it.  Take some solace that you feel bad about this - it shows you are human, and still a pretty decent one at that.  There is no rule that says you can't show that you don't like doing it, it actually makes it worse for everyone if you try too hard to hide it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Katz said:

Sorry to hear you are struggling Ex. But very glad you've made the decision to speak up. This stuff loses some of its power once it is verbalised. 

Sadly, I too know the feeling of "what if I just.....?" I used to ride a Vespa to and from work. Often while riding on the freeway I would consider just drifting off into a guardrail. 

Today, I too am struggling. The day before yesterday there was an issue at work which has left me feeling really low. I left work early that day and then didn't go to work yesterday. I have to work today and the thought of going there is filling me with anxiety. Unfortunately when anxious, I lack tolerance and am incredibly irritable. Not a good combination when you're dealing with people all day. 

Keep talking Ex. 

Take care muscles. 

That training load will effect your headspace too. 

Be kind to yourself ✌️

@Ex-Hasbeen

Being "the boss" and having to tell people they don't have a job anymore is tough. Really tough. Breaking bad news hurts. When my best mate died it fell to me to tell everybody... I did it, I got through it but I didn't deal with it and it spanked me up the backside 12 months later. You can only be strong for so long and then the persona you have been playing breaks.

Being sad is human. It's the right thing to be. If you were not sad then you would be a psychopath. 

But there's a difference between being sad and what you describe. Sometimes it takes a while to realise there's an issue but I think you identified one so please do something about it, if you have 15 minutes then give these guys a call https://thesamaritans.org.au/ I haven't used them but I used a similar support service through St John in the UK and they were great. Failing that, go see your doctor. It might not be meds, it might not be anything other than somebody listening to you for a bit. And of course, come here to vent, writing it down makes it a lot better.

I wish I could help more buddy but thinking of you. 

@Katz: Have a rest day. As Sam says your training will have knackered you so you ain't thinking from a place of strength. Remember, this is a hobby.

• Like 4