nealo

The Mental Health thread

Mental Health  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from a mental illness?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - yet to see a doctor about it
  2. 2. Do you know someone who suffers a mental illness

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know but suspect they do

Stein    0

Well I have been a lurker here for a while and have basically ignored this topic for reasons that will come out further. The reason I read the topic today was I am using it as avoidance to do something else, vacuuming floors.

I am a returned serviceman, Vietnam 69 - 70, so I am old fart. When I came home I busied myself in everything. Overtime, two jobs, committees, you name it I joined it. I was hardly home and when I was I was always busy somewhere. I didn;t know why until many years later.

I would go into a rage for no real reason. It could have the TV being too loud or someone speaking to me at the wrong time. I should also point out here that I am an alcoholic. Although I gave up drinking nearly 20 years ago I still count myself an one. After blowing up I would go to the RSL, and they would validate my behaviour.

Sometimes I would take the car and go for a drive, this was not alway's a good thing as I then took it out on other road users. I don't know how I haven't been jailed for some of the things I have done.

About 8 years ago I blew up at home again. Only this time the car wasn't home so I took my bike and went for a ride. It was the fastest ride I had ever done and I ended up in Southbank. I sat down and looked at the people around me and questioned myself as to why couldn't I be "normal" like them.

I then rode after a few hours and walked into the house, saw my wife in bed crying. I gave her a hug, which she didn't want then, and said to her," This is my problem, not anyone elses, and I need to get help." She kissed me and said that was the nicest thing I had ever said to her. I later found out that her friends and family were telling her to leave me as I was a mental case, but she stood by me. Wonderful lady. This is my second marriage. The first one ended after I she had had enough of my behaviour.

I then went to the Vietnam Veterans Counselling Service and got some help.

Fast forward to 12 months ago. I had to attend a counseling session with my wife as part of her trying to understand PTSD. The counsellor took one look at me and questioned whether I was ok. Said I was and she kept at it. In the end I went into a rage and was restrained by security, and had the ambulance take me to hospital. The counselor thought I was suicidle. I was going to take my life that day and I couldn't give a damn.

I was seen by the CAT team in hospital and transferred to Ward 17 at Heidelberg repat. This is a mental facility for service men and women and emergency services.

I spent 6 weeks in there being counselled, supervised etc. I was on suicide watch for 3 weeks. You are a voluntary patient so you can come and go. I stayed because I felt safe there.

I am still seeing a psychiatrist, an occupational therapist (getting me to function in a positive way with day to day things like hygiene and nutrition), my GP and a psychologist.

One day I rode my bike to see the psychiatrist and he was blown away. He wanted to know why I rode and all things about it. He told me that if more people excised they would be able to manage their PTSD better.

Yes I have PTSD, and have had it for 40 years, I recognised there was something wrong with me after 32 years and one marriage. I will have it for the rest of my life. All I want to do is manage it and have the ups and downs a lot shallower.

As for making goals, forget it.

Sorry about the long post.

Stein

"Reclaiming my Life"

Hymie    155
Well I have been a lurker here for a while and have basically ignored this topic for reasons that will come out further. The reason I read the topic today was I am using it as avoidance to do something else, vacuuming floors.

I am a returned serviceman, Vietnam 69 - 70, so I am old fart. When I came home I busied myself in everything. Overtime, two jobs, committees, you name it I joined it. I was hardly home and when I was I was always busy somewhere. I didn;t know why until many years later.

I would go into a rage for no real reason. It could have the TV being too loud or someone speaking to me at the wrong time. I should also point out here that I am an alcoholic. Although I gave up drinking nearly 20 years ago I still count myself an one. After blowing up I would go to the RSL, and they would validate my behaviour.

Sometimes I would take the car and go for a drive, this was not alway's a good thing as I then took it out on other road users. I don't know how I haven't been jailed for some of the things I have done.

About 8 years ago I blew up at home again. Only this time the car wasn't home so I took my bike and went for a ride. It was the fastest ride I had ever done and I ended up in Southbank. I sat down and looked at the people around me and questioned myself as to why couldn't I be "normal" like them.

I then rode after a few hours and walked into the house, saw my wife in bed crying. I gave her a hug, which she didn't want then, and said to her," This is my problem, not anyone elses, and I need to get help." She kissed me and said that was the nicest thing I had ever said to her. I later found out that her friends and family were telling her to leave me as I was a mental case, but she stood by me. Wonderful lady. This is my second marriage. The first one ended after I she had had enough of my behaviour.

I then went to the Vietnam Veterans Counselling Service and got some help.

Fast forward to 12 months ago. I had to attend a counseling session with my wife as part of her trying to understand PTSD. The counsellor took one look at me and questioned whether I was ok. Said I was and she kept at it. In the end I went into a rage and was restrained by security, and had the ambulance take me to hospital. The counselor thought I was suicidle. I was going to take my life that day and I couldn't give a damn.

I was seen by the CAT team in hospital and transferred to Ward 17 at Heidelberg repat. This is a mental facility for service men and women and emergency services.

I spent 6 weeks in there being counselled, supervised etc. I was on suicide watch for 3 weeks. You are a voluntary patient so you can come and go. I stayed because I felt safe there.

I am still seeing a psychiatrist, an occupational therapist (getting me to function in a positive way with day to day things like hygiene and nutrition), my GP and a psychologist.

One day I rode my bike to see the psychiatrist and he was blown away. He wanted to know why I rode and all things about it. He told me that if more people excised they would be able to manage their PTSD better.

Yes I have PTSD, and have had it for 40 years, I recognised there was something wrong with me after 32 years and one marriage. I will have it for the rest of my life. All I want to do is manage it and have the ups and downs a lot shallower.

Stein

"Reclaiming my Life"

Complete respect Stein. Keep up the fight. I understand the PTSD, keep fighting, recognising it for what it is really helps.

nealo    1,280
Stein

"Reclaiming my Life"

Respect.

Obviously there are things you aren't proud of but sticking with it and learning from it are.

All the best.

kokomo    45

Stein

"Reclaiming my Life"

epic goodluck with everything.

I dont know anyone with a mental illness (that i know of)

roxii    4,003

This thread has been a real eyeopener for me. Havent really been exposed to this sort of stuff much,, that I know of.

I hope that sharing this with others which initself is incredibly brave is also somewhat cathartic.

I wish you all the best with your journeys, and thanks for the eductaion.

uberbiker    32
I urge you to read a book from a man by the name of Eckhart Tolle, called a New Earth, Awakening your life's purpose.

bought it today, thanks

and thanks for the eductaion.

didnt get much of one at school :lol::lol:

Guest justsam   
Guest justsam

I know this is an old thread but two days ago I hit "rock bottom" and I need to share.

I am a perfectionist. Pure and simple and in my never ending search for "perfection" I nearly suceeded in taking my own life. I couldn't stand the fact that some people just did things for fun, and not to be "the best". I came home from work and tried to take my own life, only escaping because something deep in the back of my mind wanted to live. I sat on the floor and just screamed, I was at the end of my rope. About 30mins later I emailed my newly pregnant wife to come home from work. She then took me to hospital where I was refered to the Mental Health Unit. I have stayed in the unit before and it scares me. People like me in the same ward as unfortunate souls walking on tip toes and making pigeon noises, bloody scary. 48 hrs later and heaps of phone calls from friends and family I still feel "fragile", yet relaxed.

I am lucky enough to have a caring understanding boss who gave me a few days grace as far as work goes and great friends who I am meeting for coffee.

After seeing first hand the state of the community mental health clinic up here I feel compelled to organise a charity ride of some nature to raise funds for it. The phones are old, coffee cups chipped and the place could do with a lick of paint, and the carpet...well that was just filthy. The people who NEED these services and cant function without them deserve better.

Any knowledge of organising such events would be appreciated. I have two close friends near by with experience but all help would be great.

Thanks again for Transitions and the community it encourages.

Cheers sam..

roxii    4,003

Bllody hell mate, dont know what to say.

Good luck with your battle.

Feel free to vent here if needed.

Glad you made it through.

Guest justsam   
Guest justsam
Bllody hell mate, dont know what to say.

Good luck with your battle.

Feel free to vent here if needed.

Glad you made it through.

Thanks guys :lol:

Yurtie    2

You know, on this site we can all act like tools, be flippant, insulting and sometimes funny. But there's a core here that you know you can rely on.

So anytime you feel the horrors coming on, just get on here and vent. There's always someone here to listen.

nealo    1,280
After seeing first hand the state of the community mental health clinic up here I feel compelled to organise a charity ride of some nature to raise funds for it. The phones are old, coffee cups chipped and the place could do with a lick of paint, and the carpet...well that was just filthy. The people who NEED these services and cant function without them deserve better.

Any knowledge of organising such events would be appreciated. I have two close friends near by with experience but all help would be great.

Cheers sam..

Good to see that you have some understanding friends around.

Why is it acceptble to have the Mental Health wards so underfunded? We wouldn't let it happen to the respitory or othopeodic wards! And it's also a shame that all mental health conditions get lumped together. A lot of the different disorders can actually be counter productive being together.

Good luck!

A Zed    7

Have a new respect myself for this thread/topic lately, theres no need to go into details as I think I have done the talking I need to do for now.

that sums it up, the support I have received from a few members from here, one in particular, has helped far more than they realise.

Much respect to you justsam and goodluck with your fundraising.

Turtle    65

Oh Sam - thank G you're still with us and you're very brave to come on here.

Take comfort in the knowledge that you're not alone and that there are friends and family of yours who want you desperately and a community on here ready to help.

I hope I can be of help in my own little way. I have gained a spot in the NY marathon and, as a result of having a dear friend take her life a couple of months ago to depression, and having witness other close friends suffer terribly, I would like to run the race and raise money for Beyond Blue. 50c or $5000, I don't mind. I just want to give something to those who often suffer in silence and are often misunderstood.

Good luck with your fundraising. Perhaps it'll give you a fresh purpose and strength to get through.

All the best,

turtle

sunnygirl    122
Take comfort in the knowledge that you're not alone and that there are friends and family of yours who want you desperately and a community on here ready to help.

:lol:

More than you will ever know...................... :lol:

OneZero    22

Mental Health 1- you externalise your feelings. Hit people, things etc.

Mental Health 2- you internalise your feelings. Depression, self harm etc.

Mental Health 3- you do both!

Turtle    65

Pardon my ignorance uber but can you pls send me a link to AT if poss? or direct me to where I can find it?

I'm currently organising some fundraising for The Black Dog Institute so any extra info etc. would be great.

Cupcake    94

Hi all! It has been with great sadness and empathy that I have read this thread. I have a very keen interest in this area and on September 21st, I am heading off on my bike with a group of teenagers (and other staff) to ride from Hervey Bay to Brisbane. We will arrive in Brisbane on Friday 25th and have invited Anna Bligh to meet us. We want to deliver a letter to her about the lack of mental health care services for young adults in regional Queensland.

Our ride is called "One Step at a Time" and is about staff and students standing together. We are a team of 16 including our support crew. Our very own BigKev has been coaching the kids. They are so excited - I am more than a little nervous!

Depression and anxiety are a huge problem in our modern society! Although we are improving our attitudes to it, there is still a stigma attached to"mental health". It is up to each and every one of us to agitate for change and to be open and accepting. I think that those people who have talked about their experiences are fantastic and brave and strong! Your willingness to talk about your experiences give others courage to seek help!

:lol:

Lisa

Like others I've purposely stayed away from this thread. But after reading it I have to say all the best to everyone going through any kind of mental illness.

Without making this too long a post (and many have heard it before in some shape or form...), but my Brother Wayne took his life after struggling with drug related mental illness for about 20 years. The last five years of his life he'd become convinced that he had done irreversible damage, and after becoming obsessed with new age spirituality had also totally convinced himself that he would be reincarnated as many times as needed to get it 'right'. This lead to no fear of death, which ultimately killed him as much as anything else.

Yes I agree that mental heath care is a joke. After being involuntarily admitted into St Vincents after flipping out soon after 9/11, and spending the night bashing into walls of the padded cell in a straight jacket (yes he was very much like a caged wild cat that night), they let him go home two days later with NO follow ups.

He would repeatedly tell us all (including the health care workers) about his attempts of gassing himself, and explain that he needed better tape for the exhaust/hose connection next time, or that he ran out of petrol, etc. He'd say it was just another thing he was no good at. It sounds like I'm joking, but we'd be told over and over that "The ones who say they will, never do". Maybe not all of them do, but I can say that some certainly do. I spent so many times trying to convince him that he needed to try to hang on, and that he'd work it all out. He would flatly refuse it and almost cheerfully say "And you can't follow me around all the time either. It's up to me"

On the day of his death he was happy. He called a few of his friends and said how good things were going (yes very common). The strange thing was he was halfway through doing something. It was unlike him to leave something unfinished like that. But something tiggered a switch (maybe something on the radio...), and he layed down his tools, filled up his car, bought some whiskey, and drove out to the bush where he properly taped the hose up, got quietly drunk and listened to some of his favourite music, and was reported missing two days later to be found another later.

The only clue of a trigger was that his councillor had suggested he wrote a list of all the things he'd regretted. It was on his made bed. The councillor was 'sorry' to have asked him to write that list, but thought it would be a good idea as the list might not be very long. It was REALLY hard to read that list (and yes it was very long), as some of the things included letting me down over a few things.

Actually I found some old tapes of his the other day and have been listening to them. It's the first time I've heard his voice since he died in 2003 when he said it was cool I was going to Hawaii and to have a surf over there for him (I did). I've been working late and listening to us talk and laugh together. It's nice, but it's also very hard. I actually don't think I should listen to anymore, especially by myself in the middle of the night.

Anyway I was trying to keep this post short. Sorry. I guess what I wanted to say was to keep at it even when things are in a deep trough. After reading that last line, it feels flimsy and useless, but just like with Wayne I still don't know the perfect thing to say. It's bloody hard. All the best to everyone who is struggling with depression or anything esle.

nealo    1,280

I have to say this thread is so much more than what I thought would eventuate when I started it. I can now list it as my proudest Trannie moment.

To everyone who has posted about personal events, THANK YOU.

It can't be easy.