Sign in to follow this  
Peter

I'll say it again. No aerobars in groups

So do we know who it was??

Rear brake may have been a better option!!

someone in Brisbane

Learn to brake properly and hope your mates aren't filming your efforts.

He has grabbed way too much brake there considering the amount of time he still had to stop.

I am sure he is glad this is now on the internet.

Yeah, don't know how big that group was. But, I'll be dammed if I'd ride that close to others down on the bars.

He should just go out riding on his ownsome. Then he could ride in the company of equally skilled riders and avoid further revealing videos.

That is just stupid on so many levels.

Riding a TT bike is fine, just don't go aero unless you are on the front or off the back. Same as riding a TT bike when there are side streets etc, ride on the bullhorns until there is a good space to get aero. It is not that hard.

• Like 1

That is just stupid on so many levels.

Riding a TT bike is fine, just don't go aero unless you are on the front or off the back. Same as riding a TT bike when there are side streets etc, ride on the bullhorns until there is a good space to get aero. It is not that hard.

This, can lock the thread now.

Nothing to do with aero bars really, he seemed to have plenty of time to go for the brakes, but he noobily went for the front brake and hit it hard...take away the aero bars, same thing would have happened.

Funny timing, I just put something up on the Trannys website about winter being a good time to brush up on these sorts of skills.

Its surprising when you ask people to quickly raise the hand that operates the front brake some take quite a while and some arent even sure. Considering in an emergency situation you need to react very quickly and know which brake to grab when and how the bike will react its a few minutes well spent.

That was one of the most retarded things ive seen

So where do you rank this?

Maybe the poor BNE plonker had just arrived after an extended period in Europe and hadn't retrained his brake sides. Not.

That's awesome! I wanna see the next im winner doing that at the finish line this year.

You really need to be careful now what you do behind people with the new fly6 rear light with built in cameras.

Edited by NW55

That was one of the most retarded things ive seen

The bike was certainly retarded when he grabbed that handful of brake.

I want a Fly6!!!!

This guy is just stupid! :stupid:

I have one and it almost came is useful this morning. Luck it wasnt needed but

A tradie. Ran a red light. I could see it was going to happen as he pulled into the left lane to go around a car that was slowing to stop. The light was already red.

If I blindly pulled out, I was gone. But the camera could have got it all.

Get on it dolp. They are dead easy to use.

www.fly6.com

Peter - do you think they're as good as a Go Pro???

I still can't make a decision between the two! :confused:

Different.

It's better as it's no pissing around.

If the White is going in a circle it's recording.

Rear only.

Go pro would use for the front.

Peter - do you think they're as good as a Go Pro???

I still can't make a decision between the two! :confused:

The GoPro is really overkill if you're just using it for cycling. It's really designed for things like windsurfing, surfing, snowboarding etc etc hence the reason it's waterproof to 50m+ and is pretty robust. If you just want a camera for cycling, there are heaps of cheaper, more suitable cameras out there than the GoPro.

Good to see that old footage of Kamahl smokin' it up in the car park behind the surf club before the 1994 Ironman in Forster.

Edited by Roy
  • Like 1

Putting aside the riding on aerobars in inappropriate situations, which of course is the primary sin, there are two other things I see:

First is needing to have a constant general awareness of your overall situation while riding, so you anticipate when you may need to brake or another manoeuvre. I notice so many people seem to have a basic lack of awareness of what's going on around them. I suspect it's a combination of natural tendencies (some people are just like that) combined with lower bike handling skill levels, such that they are so worried about the wheel in front of them, they miss the big picture. With good awareness, you find the need to brake at all is reduced a lot.

Secondly, braking should be (or become) an instinctive action, not something you actually consciously think about doing. If you have to think about braking, then you need practice, and lots of it so that it does become instinctive. In difference scenarios. And especially learn about appropriate use of front and rear, and correct modulation of each. For those that are instinctive, try riding a bike with the brake cabling swapped to opposite sides. You'll soon experience what having to think about braking is like again.

try riding a bike with the brake cabling swapped to opposite sides. You'll soon experience what having to think about braking is like again.

This. They swapped mine on my downhill bike once for some reason when I had it serviced. First tight corner I grabbed a handful, folded the front wheel in two and rolled about 50m down the side of the hill. On a plus note, won a free helmet for crash of the day.

This. They swapped mine on my downhill bike once for some reason when I had it serviced. First tight corner I grabbed a handful, folded the front wheel in two and rolled about 50m down the side of the hill. On a plus note, won a free helmet for crash of the day.

I'd be having a stern discussion with my shop if they decided to swap those around without adequate notice......

I've ridden MTBs in Asia where the brakes are back to front. Tbh it didn't take very long to get the hang of it.

I think I've ridden back to front since I got my first road bike... left hand front brake.

It made more sense. When in grabbing a bottle. Fiddling with screens on the gamin etc I always do it with my right hand. Seems smarter having a hand on the front brake as opposed to thE rear.

I'd be having a stern discussion with my shop if they decided to swap those around without adequate notice......

True was a while ago now so don't recall exactly but I think I'd got them to install some new brakes and they just set them up on reverse for some random reason day or so before the race.

First is needing to have a constant general awareness of your overall situation while riding, so you anticipate when you may need to brake or another manoeuvre. I notice so many people seem to have a basic lack of awareness of what's going on around them. I suspect it's a combination of natural tendencies (some people are just like that) combined with lower bike handling skill levels, such that they are so worried about the wheel in front of them, they miss the big picture. With good awareness, you find the need to brake at all is reduced a lot.

This especially. When I was setting my bike up for a camera, I was trying to decide whether to use a handlebar or helmet mount. I went with the handlebar, because I got nauseous watching the helmet mount. It was never pointed in the same direction for more than 2 seconds. Side to side, up the road and then looking back. I didn't even realise I looked around that much, it's just instinctive. My wife commented that she didn't realise so much happens on the road when she looked at the video.

You'll also find you use a lot less fuel in your car after you've learnt to ride like this, and your brake pads will last longer.

I think that's how I ride. I so clearly remember on my first driving lesson my mum teaching me to check the rear vision mirror as often as possible.

If you've ridden a motorcycle on sydney roads like I have you learn these skills very, very quickly! I am thankful I did this prior to starting cycling. Helps me as all of these skills come on autopilot to me

I don't think that video is very fair. Dude's a muppet - he hit the anchor really hard. Do that on any bike and you'll hit the ground.

FWIW, we do group rides everyweekend in the Gong and into the RNP with packs of 6-12 riders almost exclusively on TT bikes - no issues, ever. We're practiced, cautious, aware and, IMO, very safe.

Racing ChallengeGC I saw quite a few guys grabbing a handful of brake with their right hand and left still in the aerobar when closing in on other riders too quickly. This was mainly on the descents on the return journey so most would have been hitting 40+ In the wet. I'm surprised there weren't more crashes.