Sign in to follow this  
matto1

HOTW Funding

Just read in the local paper that the Gundi HOTW has received a $40000 grant over 3 years from events QLD. Great news for competitors and even better for such a brilliantly run local event. Congrats to the Gundi tri club, well deserved.

I agree. This is exactly what the funding is for. Its still got me stuffed how USM/WTC get funding for the Noosa tri. Let's hope other grass roots regional events get some coin too.

Awesome. Bet Gundy went nuts trying to apply for it though!

Don't get me wrong, happy that they have secured funding, but It still surprises me that smaller clubs miss out. I know for a fact that a regional club hold 6 triathlons per year and 5 duathlons per year and get jack squat.

Don't get me wrong, happy that they have secured funding, but It still surprises me that smaller clubs miss out. I know for a fact that a regional club hold 6 triathlons per year and 5 duathlons per year and get jack squat.

Are they putting in for the grants? when I use to run tri clubs, govt loved handing out grants.

Great result for HOTW, well done all involved.

I agree. This is exactly what the funding is for. Its still got me stuffed how USM/WTC get funding for the Noosa tri. Let's hope other grass roots regional events get some coin too.

I'm with you rocket. Largest triathlon festival there is. 13000 some athletes. brings almost 20 million to the sunny coast. Cannot see how in the world it would be deserving of funding. Redinkulous.

I'm with you rocket. Largest triathlon festival there is. 13000 some athletes. brings almost 20 million to the sunny coast. Cannot see how in the world it would be deserving of funding. Redinkulous.

Yeah and mega profits that head offshore to the foreign owners of the race.

It's a wtc race these days isn't it. That's what RS is referencing samedw

• Like 1

Are they putting in for the grants? when I use to run tri clubs, govt loved handing out grants.

Great result for HOTW, well done all involved.

This is very true. After reading through some stats from regarding our council and then of other councils Australia wide, a lot of grants go unclaimed each year. Often it's as simple as filling out a simple for sometimes it requires a bit of extra writing, but still, if you see one that a particular club your in could benefit from just go for it. The worst that will happen is that they say no. Many of the clubs that I'm apart of have received grants in the past 3-5 years.

It's not always that easy Alex. The last 2 grants our club has applied for have been knocked back, including a Qld Events one.

We don't know why we missed out on the Qld Events Regional Development grant and our RTO was very surprised we didn't get it (for the HB100). It's a very big process and we had outside people helping us with the application. It wasn't a huge amount of money we were asking for either.

Well done to the crew at HOTW, I'm sure the funds will be a huge boost to the event.

not on the inflated accomodation prices and hospitality money. That would dwarf the wtc component.

Does anyone else run a more successful tri festival in oz in terms of tourism?

Does anyone else run a more successful tri festival in oz in terms of tourism?

Nope. Not even close.

I think RS's beef though is that, for a lot of these grants, you have to show the potential for growth. Noosa is pretty much at it's limit. The other thing is, does it really need this money as it generates massive income where smaller grassroots events could use a bit of a leg up.

• Like 1

A lot of interesting events in the list for grants this year.

Events supported under Round 24 of the RDP:

· Queensland Open Golf Championship, Springfield Lakes – held 19-25 August 2013 - $20,000

· Noosa Jazz Festival, Noosa – held 29 August-4 September 2013 - $50,000

· Gold Coast Festival of Cycling, Emerald Lakes – held 28-29 September 2013 - $10,000

· Caloundra Music Festival, Caloundra – held 4-7 October 2013 - $180,000 over 3 years

· River 2 Reef Ride, Mackay – held 5 October 2013 - $10,000

· ahm Wave Warriors Junior Challenge 2013, Coolangatta – held 5-6 October 2013 - $15,000

· Gold Coast Renaissance Fair, Broadbeach – held 5-7 October 2013 - $15,000

· Angel Flight Outback Trailblazer, Barcaldine – held 6-12 October 2013 - $25,000

· Mission Evolve Music Festival, Mission Beach – held 12-14 October 2013 - $12,000

· Tastes of the Tablelands, Atherton – held 20 October 2013 - $15,000

· Mitsubishi World Masters Golf Championships, Broadbeach – held 20-26 October 2013 - $15,000

· Lake Moondarra Fishing Classic, Mount Isa – held 25-27 October 2013 - $27,000

· Lockyer 300, Mulgowie – held 26-27 October 2013 - $15,000

· Great Barrier Reef Marathon Festival, Port Douglas – held 2-3 November 2013 - $20,000

· Australian Stand Up & Paddleboard Festival, Currumbin – held 8-11 November 2013 - $10,000

· Australian Formula Powerboat Grand Prix, Bundaberg – held 9-10 November 2013 - $10,000

· Kirra Kite Festival, Kirra Beach – held 12-17 November 2013 - $10,000

· PBR Troy Dunn Invitational, Townsville – held 15-17 November 2013 - $140,000 over 3 years

· Tour de Tamborine, Tamborine – held 29 November-1 December 2013 - $10,000

· Cairns Chinese New Year, Cairns – held 28 January-15 February 2014 - $40,000 over 2 years

· Goondiwindi Hell of the West, Goondiwindi – held 2 February 2014 - $10,000

· Breaka Burleigh Pro, Burleigh Heads – held 2-9 February 2014 - $50,000

· Bleach Festival , Currumbin – held 21 February-9 March 2014 - $180,000 over 3 years

· Have a Go Festival, Toowoomba – held 22-23 February 2014 - $10,000

· Surfers Paradise Festival, Surfers Paradise – held 1 March-1 April 2014 - $50,000

· Gold Coast Bodyboarding Expo, Gold Coast – held 1 March-1 April 2014 - $20,000

· Stanthorpe Apple & Grape Harvest Festival, Stanthorpe – held 7-9 March 2014 - $80,000 over 2 years

· Fraser Coast Cultural Festival, Pialba – held 21-23 March 2014 - $10,000

· Gold Coast Film Festival, Broadbeach – held 3-13 April 2014 - $30,000

· Easter in the Country, Roma – held 16-21 April 2014 - $20,000

· Queensland Ocean Swim Series, Mooloolaba, Caloundra, Coolangatta, Tangalooma – held 16-21 April 2014 - $10,000

· Julia Creek Dirt n Dust Festival, Julia Creek – held 18-20 April 2014 - $300,000 over 3 years

· Australian Hand Cane-Cutting Championships, Burdekin – held 3 May 2014 - $6,250

· Captain Cook 1770 Festival and Art Show, 1770 – held 19-27 May 2014 - $10,000

· Townsville Cultural Fest, Townsville – held 13-17 August 2014 - $15,000

· Mackay Beach Horse Racing Festival, Mackay – held 14-17 August 2014 - $55,000

· Gourmet in Gundy, Goondiwindi – held 13-14 September 2014 - $10,000

· Cardiac Challenge, Cairns to Cooktown – held 20-22 September 2014 - $10,000

· Troy Bayliss Triple Crown, Cairns – held 14 December 2014 - $20,000

Where is noosa Tri amount $?

Cheers

Just noticed, although the list is the current one on the Events Qld site, and there are still events yet to occur, They are now up to Round 26, and Noosa appears on that one.

I'm not convinced that there's mega profits involved once all is said and done. And also am pretty sure there is some greater value in funding the pinnacle that is Noosa. Look to other states. Who else really even funds grass roots triathlon. If there's no Noosa would there ever be money for HOTW, Julia Creek, Townsville Triathlon etc etc.

triathlon is strong in QLD because of Noosa and Mooloolaba and it requires continued investment to cover mega costs and all those celebrities

Actually you must be right DingoDave. Using your smarts and analogy we should be advising against governments investment in funding towards such profit machines as the Aussie Open tennis. The Melbourne Cup should be overlooked for money in deference to the Woy Woy country race day. Make the Grand Prix and even the Comm Games stand alone because they turn a profit for some corporates. Simple fact is that funding goes where a multiplier effect in benefit can be delivered. That's the model behind almost every funding programme. Prove the worth.

And whilst on soapbox, why should poor James little rug rats not get some benefits for the level of tax they pay. I mean really.

• Like 1

actually you are totally right...

I now believe they should triple the current level of funding to USM/WTC for their efforts with Noosa ...the thought of them struggling to break even to stage the event will affect my sleep patterns for sometime.

not sure why you have it in for Woy Woy ? :smile1:

Edited by DingoDave

They should just require all the hotels donate one night of their 5 night minimum requirement to the organisers.

I should get government funding too. Yesterday I said hi to a tourist. The flow on of good will gives a great return on the tourism sector. That there is the "multiplier effect" in action. How do I apply?

And why shouldn't I get some funding? I pay lots of tax!

Give me give me give me.

Hell.....I'll won't even take the money off shore so the hand out will stay here in Australia.

• Like 1