Sign in to follow this  
Quack

Watteam Powerbeat - next affordable power option?

Yeah, but it's bloody cheap! You need to get your hands on one of these to test Roxii. Imagine how many triathletes would jump at a 500 buck power meter if it works.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

An introductory look with DCrainmaker here. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/08/watteam-their-powerbeat.html

It took stages a while to get their software up to scratch (remember rays first review and inconsistent power data), something makes me think these guys will rush to market and there will be loads of teeething issues. Personally, I reckon the $300 extra for a stages looks worth it considering how much more tidy the unit looks, and that its had a while in the field testing any problems.

Yeah, but it's bloody cheap! You need to get your hands on one of these to test Roxii. Imagine how many triathletes would jump at a 500 buck power meter if it works.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I agree. Except for the bit about GT -19300 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

You didn't have to quote that bit ;)

Damn its ugly.... but oh so cheap!

i also like that it works with carbon cranks, thats the annoying thing with stages!

I think it will be an interesting year at EuroBike and InterBike. There should be a few updates to current powermeter's and hopefully a few new products entering the market as well.

I'm wondering that if this product is successful whether it will force Stages to reduce their prices on all cranks given that these guys are offering both left and right power for sub $500.

i also like that it works with carbon cranks, thats the annoying thing with stages!

I think it will be an interesting year at EuroBike and InterBike. There should be a few updates to current powermeter's and hopefully a few new products entering the market as well.

Sure, if it works well and reliably and accurately and is cheap and backed up with support, fantastic. Suppose I've been around long enough wrt power meters to remain skeptical until proven otherwise.

Until they actually have a product to sell (you can't actually buy them) we won't know how well it works with any cranks let alone carbon.

I'll be pretty interested to know how they expect a user to glue strain gauge sensor onto crank arms (yes, the user has to do this) and expect it to work with any level of accuracy when this is a critical part of the manufacturing process. Metal arms have reasonably predictable deformation and hence strain gauge measurement but require careful alignment of gauges and subsequent calibration testing and setting. Carbon doesn't have such predictable deformation properties.

At present it's another vapourware gateway drug.

• Like 2