Sign in to follow this  
roxii

Sports eyewear first look and fedback please.

So I have been asked to lean on the collective wisdom of Transitions to do some market research for some new eyewear that may suit those that need some help in the seeing department but don't have deep pockets.

Have a look at the article here

http://transitions.org.au/showarticle.php?cid=41&p=3

and see what you think an give some feedback here.

The guys who are doing these glasses are triathletes so know what is required and have been road testing them themselves for a while.

In return depending on how many sets we get those who are interested will get the chance to road test some of these hen they come to market.

Just started wearing glasses again (riding mountain bike and thinking I can't see the track good enough - lol) . Had LASIK in about 1993? and noticed recently the sight had deteriorated. Gone and got some specs, basically with the specs, can see good far away but can't read a menu at a cafe so have to take them off for that. Eye tester said that was pretty unique, so I prefer the magnifier section to be plain "plastic" - lol. My intention at this point in time is to either get throw away contacts or get LASIK again but running the specs for now.

anything affordable in this area is a good thing, a very good thing.

I feel smarter wearing glasses too. Did you know 1+1 = 2. Lol

Edited by Oompa Loompa

I always wear contacts while training and racing.

I have prescription goggles but almost never wear them if it's not for just pool training, because if i was to wear them in a race i would; a) have to not be wearing contacts as you can't double up and therefore b.) would need prescription glasses for the ride/run (which i don't have)

Edited by Horowitz

I've commented several times about my difficulty in reading the bike computer without my reading glasses but totally not being able to wear them for any riding or driving because I have a very different distance script which is still optional.

This idea is right up the alley of ageing eyesight. My readers are +3 which is stronger than their best +2.5, but anything would be an improvement on the current squint.

I'd be more than happy to test them for female fit.

I'm one of those Aussie "In Denial" men. I had really good eyes until about the age of 42 and then they started deteriorating fairly quickly. Now I can't really get by without my +1's from the chemist. I have 2 or 3 of them on the go for use at home, work and in the car.

I still only wear a standard sunglass while driving and riding and for the last 4 or 5 years have just picked through the Ryders clearance bins at race expos. For anywhere from $10 to $40 I can pick up a pair that sold for over $200 a couple of years earlier. I can't justify spending that sort of money on sunglasses.

I would love to try something new. I am very short sighted and at this point have very expensive prescription sports glasses. If these work as well as my prescription goggles (which is not perfect) then I would buy them without hesitation.

Would love to test them.

Would be interested too as long as they're tall enough that I don't have to crank my neck so the top doesn't impede vision - which is why I traded Oakley Radars for Smith V2 Maxs

I don't like glasses that move around on my head. These look the business as long as they don't move around / slip down on the ride or the run.

I've commented several times about my difficulty in reading the bike computer without my reading glasses but totally not being able to wear them for any riding or driving because I have a very different distance script which is still optional.

This idea is right up the alley of ageing eyesight. My readers are +3 which is stronger than their best +2.5, but anything would be an improvement on the current squint.

I'd be more than happy to test them for female fit.

Couldn't you get some sort of magnified film for your bike computer? (I don't know if that's feasible?)

I don't like glasses that move around on my head. These look the business as long as they don't move around / slip down on the ride or the run.

I'm an oakley tragic, I have radars, radar locks, m frames, jawbones, eye jackets, half jackets etc etc

These fit as well as the best of them

Couldn't you get some sort of magnified film for your bike computer? (I don't know if that's feasible?)

Possibly, although sheet magnifiers are quite thick and probably not compatible with a touch screen.

Roxii,

This is just what has been needed for a long time. I'm a bit like Downesy (my god, did I just say that), in that I had perfect vision till my early/mid 40's. I can still read a sign in the distance better than nearly anybody I know, but for the life of me, it's got to the point where I can't read the computer sitting on the handlebars. My biggest fear lately has been getting a puncture and not being able to check properly for glass remaining in the tyre.

I'd love to try a pair for a while & give feedback/review.

That's why they make multifocals, but I know they're not for everyone

a few years ago I had a pair of Rudy Project Ryder frames made up with multifocals and Transition lenses. the best money I've ever spent on bike gear ( and almost the mo$t I've spent as well ).

That's why they make multifocals, but I know they're not for everyone

a few years ago I had a pair of Rudy Project Ryder frames made up with multifocals and Transition lenses. the best money I've ever spent on bike gear ( and almost the mo$t I've spent as well ).

They're not for me. My long vision is still quite good, it's only short distance that's the problem. This bottom-of-the-lens-only magnification would be perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They look similar to Ryder eyewear and maybe some of the Adidas sunglasses.

They would want to be light, because from the photos, they look flimsy.

Excellent concept, i wear a spare pair of glasses when i do my morning training rides but i don't want to put in lenses. If i could get a cheap pair of clear sunglasses then i would use them and i only have a 2.0 requirement.

I do think the design of the frames could do with some work, because they do look cheap and plain. If you told me you bought them while standing in the queue at the service station i would believe you.

I much prefer the vented sunglasses because i find that they don't fog up as much.

* Oakley disciple.

I do adventure races which involves reading and navigating from a map. I wear contact lenses for long distance sight and they are supposedly multi focal for reading as well but these aren't strong enough to read the maps properly. I always wear glasses when racing to protect my eyes especially in the bush. These glasses sound ideal and I would love to be able to test them adventure racing where it is really important to read the map!

I hate spending lots of money on sunglasses as I'm pretty hard on them and they get knocked about a bit, if I was to spend $100 or more I'd want to be sure they can take a bit of a beating and are scratch resistant. Also I hate glasses that sit too close to my face so they need to sit up on the nose and away from the face. I use reading glasses so the addition of the magnification would be great as I never carry my reading glasses with me on a ride. Having the ability to read the computer including a map of the ride would be of great benefit.

Bump to say thanks so far for the feedback and to see if there are any more opinions/ ideas/ thoughts.

Last time I was at Calga someone laughed at me for my M Frames... The two dudes on the start gate! Hahaha

Personally I think these are a good idea, but as others have said, they look cheap. Triathletes 'need' to look a million bucks ;)

A bit of work on the design and I think you'll be on to something.

Magnifiers as well! You beauty. I wear Rudy's but have to carry the spare pair in case of a flat etc. Reading the bike computer is an optional extra.

(is that 29kmh or 26kmh...must be 29!)

Price sounds Ok too.'