I am up in PNG at the moment and watched game 3 up here. A game of 2 halves. QLD played great last night for the entire game. NSW played great for most of the game. The weight of possession and desperate attack was the difference.

Good on QLD for the win; fantastic for the Blues overall.

FM

Over the three games it shows the influence of the ref and how different teams play better with different refs. In the end Qld had two games at home and NSW had two games with home refs, so was even.

I agree re the ref.

Last night they wouldnt take shit from anyone.

But Shane in games one and two gets sucked into the crap from NSW.

Bit of an empty feeling for NSW players you'd think.

They won the series but still lost. As in they wake up this morning with the trophy after losing.

what ??

Qld have banged on for 8 years about "series" wins !!!!

game 3 was a dead rubber for NSW ...they would have preferred to win I am sure but where is the trophy !!

Qld needed a win and they played well unlike the shit they produced in game 2...60 minutes of spoiling and wrestling .

Game 1 was the best of the series closely followed by NSW defensive efforts for a big chunk of game 3...

Hayne was robbed of man of series ...

Cronk only playedthe 1st half.

I was at the game, it was ok bit lacked some intensity.

Great game. For a few minutes there i thought we might actually lose.

Then I remembered Queensland don't lose when 1 game up.

• Like 2

As a one-eyed QLDer I would be surprised and disappointed if NSW didn't clean out the dead wood in preparation for next year and beyond. We did the same thing in 2005 after several years of floggings and series defeats from a once in a generation team which formed the nucleus of the team that has dominated for the last 10 years. Also as a QLDer, it should be noted that all of the dangerous NSW players last night were the fresh, young guys who don't have the scars of years of defeats. I breathed a sigh of relief every time NSW were in an attacking position and the ball was in the hands of the likes of Gallen, Bird(G), Farah and Jennings.

If they are serious, they would even dump Gallen because he is 2 years past his best (which ironically probably coincides with him stopping taking PEDS!). A young team that could develop over the next 5 years could look something like this;

1. Tedesco

2. Mansour

3. Dugan

4. Leilua / James Roberts / Walker (not sure I rate him though)

5. Ferguson

6. Moylan (controversial I know because he doesn't play there at club level but he is a Lockyer clone and he will end up as a great 5/8 so might as well put him there now so that way you can fit both Moylan and Tedesco in the same team).

7. Reynolds (if he's injured, Maloney plays 7. I think Maloney has been very good this year and series but he is 30+ and I would bias towards youth).

8. Tamou

9. Nathan Peats

10. Woods ©

11. Frizell

12. Cordner (when fit)

13. Jackson

Bench: Wade Graham, Ryan James, Klemmer, Jack Bird (great utility potential but I'm not sure of his best position)

I'm not sure if Fafita is 'smart' enough for Origin football. Other options to consider would be both of the Trovojevic boys and also Blake Austin.

I think Tamou on that list is the oldest at 28 and many of them are under 23 so there is plenty of long term potential there. Every Origin is important and they don't want to lose 3-zip but I think surely if they're serious they need to rebuild for the future.

Thoughts?

And while I'm fully aware that we (QLD) are lucky to have a core of once in a generation players who may go on to become immortals I don't think NSW can just wait until they fade out over the next three seasons. Our depth and succession planning looks very healthy when you consider some of the young guys coming through such as Ben Hunt, Anthony Milford, Dylan Napa, Chris Grevsmuhl, Valentine Holmes etc etc.

Great game to be at, as a queenslander of course.

Always fun watching NSW go silly at each other after a series loss.

And while I'm fully aware that we (QLD) are lucky to have a core of once in a generation players who may go on to become immortals I don't think NSW can just wait until they fade out over the next three seasons. Our depth and succession planning looks very healthy when you consider some of the young guys coming through such as Ben Hunt, Anthony Milford, Dylan Napa, Chris Grevsmuhl, Valentine Holmes etc etc.

Once in a generation players, we've had plenty of generations then: thinking Lewis, Lockyer, Alfie etc. If this keeps up we wont lose a series ever again!

I'm qld as we'll but didn't new have 11 new guys in the full squad?

But we never lost 10 out of 11 series either!

I didn't imply that we were that dramatic, but my point was that we blooded very young guys that we thought had long term potential but in reality, weren't quite ready for Origin. We stuck with those guys and the results speak for themselves. Smith, Thurston, Slater, Myles, Hodges, Inglis all came into the team around that timeframe.

Once in a generation players, we've had plenty of generations then: thinking Lewis, Lockyer, Alfie etc. If this keeps up we wont lose a series ever again!

Agree that we've had some great players over the years but you would be hard pressed to find a team when we've had such high quality players in pivotal positions and kept them on the paddock together for years on end.

Lewis retired in '91 and only had 3-4 years playing alongside Alfie. Alfie was on the way out when Lockyer was becoming the main playmaker. Whereas this dynasty has included Thruston and Smith throughout, Inglis and Slater for most of it and we transitioned smoothly from Locky into Cronk - that kind of consistency in personnel in key positions is something that no other SOO team has ever had the luxury of having.

• Like 1

I watched the 1st half then turned it over and watched the last leg of the Tour Swiss. Less frustrating.

FM

Good Riddance to Gallen. I have never seem a captain lead his team away in the middle of a presentation and then make it worse by saying, 'oh, i wasnt aware'

Biggest loser as a player and a captain in origin in history and the common factor in the series won by queensland. Makes his team worse every time he carries the ball, high work rate but hogs it and goes less distance than someone else would have.

• Like 1

Good Riddance to Gallen. I have never seem a captain lead his team away in the middle of a presentation and then make it worse by saying, 'oh, i wasnt aware'

Another dumb guy making lots of $$$.

And yes what NSW did was disappointing.

But seriously how funny was

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/origin/aaron-woods-pulled-off-one-hell-of-a-celebration-fail/news-story/b40c2618c6c9c86db7e40d509760c0fc

I had to laugh when one headline this morning said "NSW sends Gallen out a winner" Winner is not something I think anyone (even the bluest of fans) would associate with Gallen and SOO

• Like 1

He is clearly tough and works hard trying to to ignore the PEDS and the fact that he was told early on he was too small for league.

But while QLD had a great side, should he and others been persisted with for so long when it was clear that they were not up to it and did others who might have done better miss out on a chance.

We won't know, but we do know that he was not a success

Disgusting act by the Queensland players having their presentation and not waiting for the blues to finish their victory lap.

• Like 1

Disgusting act by the Queensland players having their presentation and not waiting for the blues to finish their victory lap.

I agree. Those poor Blues don't get the chance very often.

Gallen said he didn't hear the presentation and didn't know it was happening. i would have thought that a stage being moved onto the field with a crowd of photographers around it might have been a tip.

grub.

and apparently the offside rule has now been modified.

F me there is some maroon bias in this world. Even Johns and Gould make me sick to my stomach. The penalty count was 12-3 because Qld grubby wrestle shit led by Smith and Parker was finally pulled up. Well done Sutton for finally following through and binning someone for repeated penalties in their own 25.

NSW are grubs yet Inglis breaks Dugans jaw with a blatant late shoulder charge, Parker breaks a wingers nose with a late elbow while he's on the ground, Maguire pulls a blokes pigtail and they celebrate a try by throwing the ball in Moylans face.

After poor sportsmanship shown by Smith, Thurston Maguire and Parker with some very obvious sledging send offs at the end of game 2 plus Parker raking Gallens face as well as what's reported as a concerted campaign to give Gallen heaps I have no problem with them turning their backs on Smith. How he got man of the series is beyond me.

or perhaps as many ex referees saw it, the roaches were milking penalties which sounds like the referee and your self fell for it.

and there isnt any justification for Gallen and his team not being present at the presentation. Gallen has now apparently said its because he was sledged. Which is it Gallen? you have now told us a different story on the footy show. And if it was because of some sledging, well, the game is not about you.. All that people will remember both overseas and here is what a bad sport you and your team are.

• Like 1

Who cares? Qld won again.

Whats that? 10 out of the last 11 series?

Qld have nothing to complain about.

Who cares? Qld won again.

Whats that? 10 out of the last 11 series?

Qld have nothing to complain about.

The only series they lost, the Captain, and player of the series confessed to PED use 1 month after the series ended.

Any other sport, and it'd be 11 out of 11. :)

Inspired by Gallen, I found nsw's team uniform for next year.

328693f2423e0c90e9a47f9fb224560c.jpg

• Like 3

Yep. Was thinking the same thing myself. Any of the netballers I've seen at my daughter's Saturday comp are much tougher than Gallen.

As a one-eyed QLDer I would be surprised and disappointed if NSW didn't clean out the dead wood in preparation for next year and beyond. We did the same thing in 2005 after several years of floggings and series defeats from a once in a generation team which formed the nucleus of the team that has dominated for the last 10 years. Also as a QLDer, it should be noted that all of the dangerous NSW players last night were the fresh, young guys who don't have the scars of years of defeats. I breathed a sigh of relief every time NSW were in an attacking position and the ball was in the hands of the likes of Gallen, Bird(G), Farah and Jennings.

If they are serious, they would even dump Gallen because he is 2 years past his best (which ironically probably coincides with him stopping taking PEDS!). A young team that could develop over the next 5 years could look something like this;

1. Tedesco

2. Mansour

3. Dugan

4. Leilua / James Roberts / Walker (not sure I rate him though)

5. Ferguson

6. Moylan (controversial I know because he doesn't play there at club level but he is a Lockyer clone and he will end up as a great 5/8 so might as well put him there now so that way you can fit both Moylan and Tedesco in the same team).

7. Reynolds (if he's injured, Maloney plays 7. I think Maloney has been very good this year and series but he is 30+ and I would bias towards youth).

8. Tamou

9. Nathan Peats

10. Woods ©

11. Frizell

12. Cordner (when fit)

13. Jackson

Bench: Wade Graham, Ryan James, Klemmer, Jack Bird (great utility potential but I'm not sure of his best position)

I'm not sure if Fafita is 'smart' enough for Origin football. Other options to consider would be both of the Trovojevic boys and also Blake Austin.

I think Tamou on that list is the oldest at 28 and many of them are under 23 so there is plenty of long term potential there. Every Origin is important and they don't want to lose 3-zip but I think surely if they're serious they need to rebuild for the future.

Thoughts?

Without blowing sunshine up my own arse, it would seem that, as I have always thought, I have a very astute football brain and would probably make a pretty decent selector!

I may also have a knack of predicting the future!

"I'm not sure that Fafita is smart enough for Origin football" - his actions made me look like a genius!!!

Also my comment about Moylan being a better pivot than FB in the long term enabling both he and Tedesco to play in the same team was a master stroke.

No need to thank me NSW supporters........

looks like Gagai is out now.  No Slater, Cronk, Smith, Thurston...we may as well just hand NSW the trophy now...

only Freddie Fittler could phuck this up

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Prince said:

looks like Gagai is out now.  No Slater, Cronk, Smith, Thurston...we may as well just hand NSW the trophy now...

Sadly yes.