Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy212

Cycling from Sydney to Bowral (best route)

Hey guys,

Havnt been on here for a while as i have been inured.

Looking at the possibility of cycling to Bowral from the city on Friday and possible options as i'm going down there for weekend.

Not looking to set any records, just a cruise ride.

Feedback would be great

Obvious choice is straight down the Hume but after Campbelltown the road surface turns to crap! I live in Bowral and have done that ride a bit.. It's not called the "highlands" for no reason... You do some very long gradual climbing on crappy surfaces... But a lot of the time have a good lane but some dodgy spots with bridges etc.

So you reckon The Hume is the way to go ? Best way to get on to the Hume from Bondi with out getting collected by a car?

Sorry for the questions, but my knowledge of these rides is minimal as i usually ride RNP or kurnell.

Drop down waterfall hill, past hanggliders, down to wollongong, along past port kembla , around lake illawarra...across albion park, up Maquarie pass...onto mittagong...then you get to Bowral

:-)

Johnnyboy,

just head out of your door at Bondi and do a safe route from your place, ride 3-5 hours returning to your place.

shower, etc, grab a train to Central then change trains for Bowral and you'll be there in a few hours...

The Bowral trip ( or Golburn or Canberra ) is something that I've looked at quite a bit over the past few years as my sister moved to Canberra and in 2 weeks time we're meeting up for a weekend at Bowral as well, but these days, there's no way that I'd want to be in the breakdown lane of a 110kph freeway, and Australia's busiest truck route for that long.

about 15-20 years ago I did a Campbelltown to Goulburn ride of 150 km along the freeway, but I was younger and traffic was lighter. Goulburn to Canberra along the Federal Hwy may be more acceptable.

actually, if you have to do it, why not catch a train to Liverpool or Campbelltown etc and save the whole metro area traffic.

Drop down waterfall hill, past hanggliders, down to wollongong, along past port kembla , around lake illawarra...across albion park, up Maquarie pass...onto mittagong...then you get to Bowral

:-)

How many kms do you think that is mate ?

How many kms do you think that is mate ?

Sutherland to Moss Vale via path mentioned is in vicinity of 130km...not forgetting the little climb up maquarie pass... :-)

Sutherland to Moss Vale via path mentioned is in vicinity of 130km...not forgetting the little climb up maquarie pass... :-)

Talk about being collected by a car... Macquarie pass will be great for that.. Single lane, lots of bends and blind spots.. Don't understand cycling there.. Definitely not alone in my opinion.

Plenty of cyclists use Macquarie pass. I'd rather go up there than ride the M5 and Hume. Back roads through places like Exeter and Bundanoon are relatively quiet

I'd avoid the Hume. Bad surface and there is a reason you don't see cyclists on the Liverpool to Mittagong section.

I think the best route from Bondi is in your car, then cycle around the Highlands when you get there.

But if you really wanted to cycle the best route would be the one Shrek mentioned. Sydney to the Gong, then down to Albion Park, then up through Macquarie Pass and then Tourist Rd through to Bowral.

Macquarie Pass is a concern though if you plan to do it on a friday. A weekend morning and you would probably meet quite a few other cyclists. Not sure if I would be doing it late on a friday though.

I have a couple of friends that ride Macquarie Pass every month - not on my bucket list but they seem to enjoy it.

Talk about being collected by a car... Macquarie pass will be great for that.. Single lane, lots of bends and blind spots.. Don't understand cycling there.. Definitely not alone in my opinion.

Actually, the hill itself is the safest place in the region. Downhill you are faster than traffic and uphill they cant get enough speed up because the straights are too short. You also hear them coming well before they get to you. Safer than Keira when it was open IMO. The road across the bottom to get to it is a different kettle of fish though. It is the scariest place in the region.

My brother lives at Bowral so I have ridden up as a commute a bit too. Take the Tourist Rd detour and throw in Cardiac for shit and giggles.

I have ridden from Campbelltown to Bowral a number of times - last being 2005. My thoughts - ride the M7 cycleway twice then get a lift to Bowral. There's nothing fun with being a hood ornament for a triple B.

FM

I've ridden to Robertson/Mossvale/Bundanoon a few times and have only gone via the Hume twice. As others have said it's not very pleasant. With a couple of variations I've usually gone this way -http://app.strava.com/activities/5658446

Edited by ptc

Didnt get to do this last time as the old man got sick.

Giving it a go tomorrow. Getting train to Sutherland > Wollongong > Bowral will be might route...Will be taking it easy though!!! Havnt ridden this far for a few years so its going to hurt... :)

The ride to the base of Macquarie Pass is much worse than the Pass itself

goat track and head wind always...from albion park across to the base.......

Did this on Friday.. Started at Waterfall. Was circa 120km. Ride the Gong Was great - Going along Grand Pacific Drive had few people with no teeth abuse me - Ride from Albion to the was was pretty dodgy but was in no rush, so just pulled over when there was no shoulder and semi bearing down on me - Macquaire pass was tough, the handfull of rides i had done coupled with the heat was showed how shit my riding had become - The run from mac pass to Robertson was farked!!- The run to Bowral the road was a but of goat track but wasnt a bad day. 5hr 20min.. good times!