A quick review of the loose format for Ten Q's.

The subject does not get any vetting of questions in advance. He/she may decline to answer any questions. Naturally this is not live, so they get about 24 hours to compose their answers.

I don't know IP, but we exchanged PM's and we had a few PM's earlier. I'm probing for information, things I don't know and things which might interest the forum. Other questions might follow from the forum at large, after seeing the initial response from IP.

Let's start with 2 warm up questions not inc in the 10.

Mate, we don't know each other, and I only know the brief info you fwd to me by PM. Is that right?

And since this topic is not about Mrs IP (she might get her own Ten Q's one day), would you also confirm she has done IM's and is currently, 2014, Kona qualified?

OK thanks, so lets go with the Ten Q's plus a few bonus questions at the end.

1. IP, would you submit here a brief bio data, narrative form. Where you were born, where you live, marital status, occupation, whatever you like to include?

2. Now follow that up with a full sports bio, what sports have you done. What level? And how did any of that get you into long distance triathlon. Is there any correlation between playing sports at rep level, other sports, and later on having a successful Tri career?

3. So you entered the sport and went up to IM almost immediately. You did post some time ago you hit 20 IM's. And that was over about 10 years. So update that. And explain how you can manage time wise. And if it is sustainable time wise and financially going forward. Since you have been to Kona more than once, talk about that and the expenses on a yearly basis.

4. Noted, you live in the middle of nowhere. I'm a Victorian and I would struggle to locate, Porepunkah. Beside being in the middle of nowhere, it must get dam chilly up there. Talk about that, and talk about training in a remote area. How about swimming? Any training partners? Elaborate fully.

5. Trout, you have some good IM times, if qualified for Kona, you must have. What's the PB? And was that your best race? How aboout other races over variable distance,if any. How many podiums, and how about AG wins?

6. What's your stand alone marathon time? And if a person had a stand alone time of 3 hrs...3:30, 4:00, on up the line. Could you predict his IM finish time,without knowing his level in the other 2 disciplines..eg, you figure out a 3 hr marathon runner is probably a good athlete, so you factor that.

7.Mate. A guy approaches you. He says I was a runner in school, and a state level swimmer, but I've done nothing in 15 years. I'm 20 kg overweight

and I want to do an Ironman. How would you advise him? He's insisting he want to do IM, nothing less.

8. Follow that up. Why don't you coach or give out advice on line? At your level you could?

9. IP, here on the forum. Do you discriminate (unconciously or otherwise) on reading answers, taking advise from contribitors who are of a lesser ability that yourself. What I mean is, your peer group, maybe Niseko, Rog..etc, even AP, might have more valuable advice than a random poster with no IM pedigree? Do you sort through that?

10.Mate. I think you are still 40-44, or maybe you graduatet to 45-49? Not sure. Mate, there are hundreds of athletes thinking "you know what, I'm improving at age XX, so when Im 60- 64, I might actually win something". What are the the pros and cons of that line of thinking.

Thanks mate, hope you will expand your answers and take time to elaborate fully.

Bonus Questions.

1. Is Chris McCormack among the Top 3 male triathletes across all distances/all time?

2. Is Michellie Jones?

3. How about Dave Scott.

SUPER BONUS.

Mate, you are a field ump in your own sport AFL. A player goes down injured and the other players indicate it might be serious, so you stop play to allow the player to be stretchered off. The sub warms up and encoaches the field of play, before the other player is off the field. Meanwhile the injured player jumps of the stretcher and indicates he is ok and wants to play on..."just a knock mate, I'm right now".....so you now have 19 players on the field. The opposing captain imediately brings it to your attention. What's your ruling?

Edited by kamalarrowsmith
  • Like 1

1. IP, would you submit here a brief bio data, narrative form. Where you were born, where you live, marital status, occupation, whatever you like to include?

Born Geelong in 1970
Live in porepunkah
In a relationship for 24 years with a wonderful women
Lawn mower man with my own business for 15 years

2. Now follow that up with a full sports bio, what sports have you done. What level? And how did any of that get you into long distance triathlon. Is there any correlation between playing sports at rep level, other sports, and later on having a successful Tri career?

Played AFL At a pretty high level as a young fella winning a few comp BnFs and representative footy until I become a fat overweight alcoholic and couldn't play any more, cause I was too fat then got fatter
I always had a good engine never fast but could go all day, I think my 1500 m time from primary school still stands!!!

Just fell into tris/IM as we happen to be at Forster in 2002 when macca won his first IM
I never heard of IM and ended up working on an aid station out Coomba park rd and seeing Paul every with his long hair and beard ( I had long hair and a beard) I obviously never knew what a legend Paul was at the time but he was so nice every time I gave him a biddon , I thought I could do this, I have to do this thing ,this is amazing
The next morning I ran 20k and couldn't walk for two days as my feet where killing me
The next year I qualified at shep in 4-34 (I thought I'd do about 5-30 on a good day)in the 30-34 and in 2003 I was lining up for my first IM at Forster keys

I'm not sure I've had a success full "career" in IM but I put everything into everything I do (I'm a pretty hard nut on my self and others at times)so I suspect most people who are successful at one sport will/could have the same result at another

3. So you entered the sport and went up to IM almost immediately. You did post some time ago you hit 20 IM's. And that was over about 10 years. So update that. And explain how you can manage time wise. And if it is sustainable time wise and financially going forward. Since you have been to Kona more than once, talk about that and the expenses on a yearly basis.

Done 26 IM since 2003 and 3 this year
I was diagnose with liekemia 30 months ago and I don't think my body can handle multiple Im anymore so I'm looking at other things like ultra man and MTB enduros and off road tris, it's probably time for a change anyway
Financially it is a big cost but we both race and we go to place for a holiday also but it would be good to go away and not do an IM for a change
Working for myself certainly helps with my training program (I would be ALOT richer if I didn't train) but I love training and hate working LOL
Only been to kona once , I think we spent about $15k on that trip but it was worth every sent
I'm going back this Oct but mrs IP is racing but I don't think we spend that much as we won't do as many touristy things this time around

4. Noted, you live in the middle of nowhere. I'm a Victorian and I would struggle to locate, Porepunkah. Beside being in the middle of nowhere, it must get dam chilly up there. Talk about that, and talk about training in a remote area. How about swimming? Any training partners? Elaborate fully.

Yes I live in porepunkah, it's at the base of MT buffalo, mt hot ham and falls creek
It's a majic spot for training, fantastic riding if you want hills, rollers or flats (or MTB) same for running , I have a bike path at my front door which goes for 86km
It does get cold but there's no such thing as bad weather just bad clothing!!! -and the trainer of course but we use this all year round for intervals anyway
No pool for 80ks so I built a endless poor 2 years ago after travelling 400 plus Ks aweek just to swim
Best thing I ever done it sits at 28.5 deg all year round
I ALLways train alone (except for my dog) and some riding with mrsIP but this doesn't work too well as we are different speeds
I am and ALLways have been abit of a Loner so this suits me just fine

5. Trout, you have some good IM times, if qualified for Kona, you must have. What's the PB? And was that your best race? How aboout other races over variable distance,if any. How many podiums, and how about AG wins?

I got a third at shepp once
I came second and then won the triple tri in Canberra the last two years (google it ) it's the hardest one day race here in oz so know one who's any good shows up LOL
PB for IM is 9-20 at busso (worst is 10-25 at kona so not a bad spred over 26IM)
PB run is 3-07 at the first port hilly course
Best IM would be my kona Q at 9-47 swim 60 bike 5-20 run 3-20 very consistent over the whole day
100k PB of 7-50 and 3 under 8hrs
Set a few 50k trail run records around the place over the years

6. What's your stand alone marathon time? And if a person had a stand alone time of 3 hrs...3:30, 4:00, on up the line. Could you predict his IM finish time,without knowing his level in the other 2 disciplines..eg, you figure out a 3 hr marathon runner is probably a good athlete, so you factor that.

I've only ever ran one stand along mara and that was 4 weeks after the 3-07 Im run and I ran 2-42 and won and set a new course record on a pretty hilly course

If you can run 3hr to 3-15 then you should be able to bike 5hrs anywhere
But if you look at it the other way there are MANY 5hr riders but nowhere near as many sub 3-30 runners
Too many people go way too hard on the bike and love to talk about there bike time. And then say they had a shit run
It's an FFF triathlon your time doesn't stop in T2 it stops at the finish line

7.Mate. A guy approaches you. He says I was a runner in school, and a state level swimmer, but I've done nothing in 15 years. I'm 20 kg overweight
and I want to do an Ironman. How would you advise him? He's insisting he want to do IM, nothing less.

No problem
The bloke can swim so I just tell him to stop drinking for a month ( just to show commitment and best way to loose weight fast)
Swim bike and run 3 times a week for that month building from 30 mins each session and come back and see me
If he's still keen, lost weight and not injured then we are good to go, he will smash it
This sort of scenario happens to me ALOT in my small town
Nowone has yet come back to me after that month , I guess things are a little harder than than thought it would be

8. Follow that up. Why don't you coach or give out advice on line? At your level you could?

Not sure
I'm very happy to set people on there way so they can start SBR but I think my communication skills are a little lacking
I'm a very hard nut and I suppose I expect too much of EVERYONE so I don't think that is what you should be looking for in a person who just wants to finish ( I expect full commitment from them as I would from myself so that's not going to work in most situations , not everyone is as driven as me and I have trouble being able to deal with that)
Again I'm not sure on this one it's a good question!!!

9. IP, here on the forum. Do you discriminate (unconciously or otherwise) on reading answers, taking advise from contribitors who are of a lesser ability that yourself. What I mean is, your peer group, maybe Niseko, Rog..etc, even AP, might have more valuable advice than a random poster with no IM pedigree? Do you sort through that?

Yes I do (probably more so from those you mentioned)
But saying that that doesn't mean I think everyone else is not worthy, everyone on this forum has something to offer
Just on other subjects and other experiences
The best thing about trannies is that most of stuff that goes on here is more about life than tricathalon ,so all members have something to offer from something in there life's journey wheat her it's triathlon based or not

10.Mate. I think you are still 40-44, or maybe you graduatet to 45-49? Not sure. Mate, there are hundreds of athletes thinking "you know what, I'm improving at age XX, so when Im 60- 64, I might actually win something". What are the the pros and cons of that line of thinking.
Your right I move into the 45-49 this year but so does David mead, he just did 8-5xx this year
When I started If you looked at the 45-49 you would have got a spot at 10-30 but now you still need the 9-30 9-45 you needed when I raced in 2002 in the 30-35 , everyone has got older but not slower, not sure how long this can last but I'll keep on hanging around to see

Thanks mate, hope you will expand your answers and take time to elaborate fully.

Bonus Questions.

1. Is Chris McCormack among the Top 3 male triathletes across all distances/all time?

Yes

2. Is Michellie Jones?

Yes

3. How about Dave Scott.

No ( but I don't know much about dave)

SUPER BONUS.

Mate, you are a field ump in your own sport AFL. A player goes down injured and the other players indicate it might be serious, so you stop play to allow the player to be stretchered off. The sub warms up and encoaches the field of play, before the other player is off the field. Meanwhile the injured player jumps of the stretcher and indicates he is ok and wants to play on..."just a knock mate, I'm right now".....so you now have 19 players on the field. The opposing captain imediately brings it to your attention. What's your ruling?

I would say that I DQ the whole team for the extra player on the field (providing that play has recomenced, in which case it should not have as the dude on the stretcher hasn't left the field so the bloody white maggot should not have restarted the game LOL)

Thanks I hope some of this makes sense
Cheers
Ivp

Edited by roxii
  • Like 4

A good read on the Interstate man of mystery ;)

LOL

Not anymore cheers!!!!

Ivp

Edited by ironpo

Trout, AFL, you are in the role of an ump per the question. Not as a fan.

No rule book available, so quick decision required.

The infringement is on the sub for encroahing the field. The injured player has never left the field, so if he can play on, I allow that. If ever he crossed the boundary during the sequence he's excluded and the sub is on.

So I order the sub off the ground, but he's ok to resume his place on the interchange.

Free kick to the opposition, on the goal line, directly in front, unless the rule was changed this year.

Hey Roxi. You Edited and highlighted this, but it seems to have slipped into the main forum. Earlier it was misplaced on the Ten Q's thread and was not visible for a while.

You were diagnosed with Leukemia 30 months ago so instead of doing multiple IMs each year you thought you'd give yourself a rest by doing an Ultraman? Lol you're a nut.

The infringement is on the sub for encroahing the field. The injured player has never left the field, so if he can play on, I allow that. If ever he crossed the boundary during the sequence he's excluded and the sub is on.

So I order the sub off the ground, but he's ok to resume his place on the interchange.

Free kick to the opposition, on the goal line, directly in front, unless the rule was changed this year.

Sorry mate

I've been out of the game for over 10 years so no sub back then

I don't follow the game much these days , it's far too commercial for me ATM

I reckon they should get rid of all the interchange and only have subs if injuries occur

Cheers

Ivp

You were diagnosed with Leukemia 30 months ago so instead of doing multiple IMs each year you thought you'd give yourself a rest by doing an Ultraman? Lol you're a nut.

Yep :-)

I hope to be able just to roll around ultra man , nothing needed in the intensity side of my training to do that

I personally don't see ultra man as that hard (this view will no doubt change post race) as it's done over 3 days , if each stage was done one after the other then that's starting to get up there

It's abit like IM I tell everyone that anyone can do an IM but going fast is a different story

I'll probably try and slot one IM in there somewhere next season

Not sure where though

Cheers

Ivp

"I've only ever ran one stand along mara and that was 4 weeks after the 3-07 Im run and I ran 2-42 and won and set a new course record on a pretty hilly course"

That's pretty impressive! :)

Yeah it does make you think. And let's throw this one back to IP.

Clearly IP, you have done massive blocks if training. But what about genetics, do you have something there that others dont have?

No pool for 80ks so I built a endless poor 2 years ago after travelling 400 plus Ks aweek just to swim

What..?! And miss out on all the octogenarian babes swimming laps first thing at the Mt Beauty pool...?! :lol:

• Like 1

What..?! And miss out on all the octogenarian babes swimming laps first thing at the Mt Beauty pool...?! :lol:

Yes

That is a shame but we never manage to swim at mt beauty

It's not open very often for lap swimming

7-9am 3 times a week

I start work at 7am they do have some lap swimming in the arvo but sometimes it's closed at 6pm at we don't finish work until then or later

And then the council wonders why not enough people go there!!!!

Pity it's a nice pool

Cheers

Ivp

Yeah it does make you think. And let's throw this one back to IP.

Clearly IP, you have done massive blocks if training. But what about genetics, do you have something there that others dont have?

I reckon I've got something in me that's suited to longer endurance stuff

But I think most of this sort of thing comes from your mind not your body

Don't know a lot about my family background so I can't say if my parents/ grandparents where champions at anything

I do know my grandpa set two world records at lawn bowls sometime ago

He had two resting touches on the jack ( that's where all four of your bowls rest on the jack ( the little white bowl at the other end of the rink))

He did it twice and now one else has ever done it

That sort of stuff probably never gave me the stuff for a tough ironman run , but still very impressive!!!

Cheers

Ivp

I already knew a fair bit of that stuff, and I was already impressed.

Now I know the rest... Wow!

Well done Trout, and well deserved.

Plus, I love your great outlook on life.

Hope things continue to go well for you and Mrs IP.

Nice interview gents.

K, last time I saw it happen an extra player was reset of offending teams score to zero at that point. Hymie should be able to clarify.

Good stuff IP. I enjoyed it.

You had that many names and handles, my parents couldn't work out if they were dealing with 3 people or one.

Cheers

N