FatPom

TdF watching thread

How brilliant is this for the race. Couldnt have happened to a better person in my mind.

Richie Porte might be in with a great chance.

Richie P.

Lost another 26secs.

BTW, provisional timing for the climb shows Nibali 25s slower than Froome & Cadel.

The organisers might think it brings great excitement to the tour, but a stage like yesterday, with mountains, of all things, has no place in a Grand Tour. While you might enjoy watching these gladiators struggle to stay upright on the long winding ascent, just remember, these guys are doing it for a living, and to throw in a stage where it's just a lottery, and the race favourite could hit a small stone & fall off going up a hill is sheer lunacy.

While it might make for entertaining viewing at the time, it will detract from the tour as a spectacle for the remaining 2 weeks.

Watt bikes next year I say.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

What a great stage, loved it. Tony Martin is a machine. They are saying Contador's crash was caused by a frame failure, not confirmed though.

No bike failure, but poor road conditions they say now. And a broken tibia, though not badly broken.

I think Specialized are full of shit. First they said it was Nico's bike, then they said they ran Nico's bike over, then apparently they are running over so many bikes that they forgot they ran over Bertie's spare bike (which happened to have a number on).

Perhaps they should stick to what they're good at, losing trademark lawsuits in Canada.

Sorry FP, but their story has been confirmed by Belkin and there's a pic of the Belkin car stopped and removing a stray Specialized from their roof

• Like 1

Sorry FP, but their story has been confirmed by Belkin and there's a pic of the Belkin car stopped and removing a stray Specialized from their roof

Ah yes, Velonews have updated their story. Specialized still denied any frames were broken in the first place though.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/07/news/timeline-details-alberto-contadors-tour-ending-crash_336328

I wonder how much it would cost a frame manufacturer to have a Pro-Tour team say their leader, and favourite for the race fell due to road conditions, rather than frame failure?

Just sayin'.

Its Nibali's race to lose now - Richie and Valverde can fight out for minor placings although I wont be surprised if either of them have a really bad day and get demoted down few spots.

Its Nibali's race to lose now - Richie and Valverde can fight out for minor placings although I wont be surprised if either of them have a really bad day and get demoted down few spots.

my thoughts exactly

I wonder how much it would cost a frame manufacturer to have a Pro-Tour team say their leader, and favourite for the race fell due to road conditions, rather than frame failure?

Just sayin'.

Here's the tweet showing a Belkin mechanic extracting a Saxo bike from their roof rack :lol:

https://twitter.com/CraigHardie/status/488805603033489408

this looks better and more like proof of what happened. - i do find it weird how bikes can become tangled as they pass each other form the roof rack.

Edited by louey

this looks better and more like proof of what happened. - i do find it weird how bikes can become tangled as they pass each other form the roof rack.

2010_tour_de_france_car.jpg

They do come out a lot further than you'd expect

So no one gives Ritchie a chance of winning? From what Froome has said previously he can TT better than 95% of the GC contenders( not sure if Nibali is part of the 5% that he cant beat) and he can climb with Froome perhaps not consistently but on his best days.

Does he have the engine to attack Nibali on the big long climbs? Sky are down a few riders too.

Can anyone remember this sort of GC carnage 1 week into the tour?

Thoughts?

Does he have the engine to attack Nibali on the big long climbs? Sky are down a few riders too.

I think the end of the stage last night was a sign of things to come from Porte.

He'll be there-abouts, but will lose time to the genuine climbers.

I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong as Porte is great but I don't think he's quite there just yet.

I think the end of the stage last night was a sign of things to come from Porte.

He'll be there-abouts, but will lose time to the genuine climbers.

Well he is a triathlete. Everyone knows triathletes hate hills.

So no one gives Ritchie a chance of winning?

With the way the favorites are crashing out, you have to give him some.

If he knew Ironman Busso and Melbourne were going to be so flat he would have stayed a triathlete.

Not sure if Porte can hold Nibali at the absolute limit, but i think he fell down tactically last night. When Nibali went Porte chased but jumped on the other rider's wheel rather than Nibali's. I think he had enough to hold Nibali's wheel in that attack but by the time he realised the other rider wasn't chasing the gap had been made.

He's only riding for 2nd & hoping Astana get popped down the line..

Surely a team with Vino in management can't be clean!

^

'Experts' on here keep saying that about Sky, so what happens if Porte gets popped?

So no one gives Ritchie a chance of winning? From what Froome has said previously he can TT better than 95% of the GC contenders( not sure if Nibali is part of the 5% that he cant beat) and he can climb with Froome perhaps not consistently but on his best days.

I'm surprised people think he can win a Grand Tour at all.

His best performance in any GT was 7th in his first Giro, and that only came after being given 12mins in a breakaway. Granted since then he has been a super-domestique, but I think it's far to early to say he's a genuine GT contender.

He's similar to Cadel in that he's a better TTer than climber, but Cadel has a lot more natural ability. IMO Porte's definitely Top10 material and Top5 could be a safe bet (in a normal GT). But to actually win the thing? He's still yet to prove he can ride a 3wk GT without having at least one major off day. He has lost time on all the crucial stages to Nibali thus far and he hasn't had a 'jour sans' yet in this Tour. I really don't see where he's going to gain any time on Nibali at this stage, unless Nibali has an accident, or has peaked too soon. However, that's unlikely as he's an experienced campaigner and knows how to deliver over 3 weeks.

In fantasy land, where all the top guys have the same strength teams behind them and are all in top form, off the top of my head I'd put at least Contador, Froome, Wiggins, Cadel, Nibali & Quintana ahead of Porte. Andy Schleck too, before his major crash. Porte's in the second tier with Valverde, Hesjedal, Talansky, Tejay and quite a few others.

• Like 2

Posted Today, 02:43 PM

Clydesdale, on 15 Jul 2014 - 1:58 PM, said:snapback.png

So no one gives Ritchie a chance of winning?

With the way the favorites are crashing out, you have to give him some.

downesy68, on 15 Jul 2014 - 2:26 PM, said:snapback.png

But we all know Triathletes can't stay upright on a bike, so he's probably next to crash out.

personally, i think the tour will be boring now.

astana i think will now sit at front and cruise the race; porte doesnt have the goods to drop nibali in the mountains. he's kind of like a "slightly weaker" version of cadel.

kudos to porte if he tries, and i hopeso for the fans sake; but i fear unless nibali breaks his back or something, its done and dusted with the lead he has already.

Edited by louey

Porte's in the second tier with Valverde, Hesjedal, Talansky, Tejay and quite a few others.

Well thought out post, Donncha.

That second tier aren't exactly a bunch of hubbards either.

If Porte does go Top 10, he'd only be behind Evans and Anderson in Aussie TDF Results.

Historically speaking, expectations of him winning might be a bit optimistic.

'Experts' on here keep saying that about Sky, so what happens if Porte gets popped?

I trust Sky's investment in sports science more than anything involving Vino.

Well thought out post, Donncha.

That second tier aren't exactly a bunch of hubbards either.

Yep exactly. I still think he's an excellent rider, I'm just not sure if he's GT-winner calibre. He may well turn out to be, but he hasn't demonstrated it yet IMO.

More along the of lines of a TdF tasting thread, but I just cooked one of the Taste Le Tour recipes - and my boys liked it: ham knuckle with braised green cabbage.

Do you think Porte wanted more of his team to be there near the end? He seemed to be looking back a lot, as if expecting them to be there. Did Gee crash near the end and that impacted his ability to support, as they said he was grazed-up?

Yep exactly. I still think he's an excellent rider, I'm just not sure if he's GT-winner calibre. He may well turn out to be, but he hasn't demonstrated it yet IMO.

Have i got your logic correct? What your saying is that its impossible to be a GC contender without first winning one?