nealo

Triathlon Australia Membership Renewal - Now Automatic!

Don't often read my emails but when I joined TA last night and payed that ****ing Active fee I decided to.

"Please note that your membership is set to automatically reneweach year. You are able to opt out of this auto-renewal setting at any point by logging into your member portal via the link below and changing the setting."

**** you Active.

Not sure where I opted for Active to use my credit card to "automatically renew" my membership!

I never even got a notification to say it was running out. Just went to register for another event via Active as a TA member and it wouldn't work, didn't say it was because I wasn't a member though, had to figure that out on my own.

Didn't see anything about auto renewal though.

I like how that have the "Signature" box where by typing your name it makes it more official... Bahahaha.

I am not a fan of the ACTIVE system.

Surely there has to be an aussie payment system Triathlon Australia could have used.

Wasn't this covered a while ago? TA were streamlining their membership number process, and automatic memebership renewal. So from now on, you have one consistent membership number. You automatically are set to auto renewal (but they send you a reminder thats its about to be paid), but you can change your settings and opt out of the auto renewal thing.

I guess it might get a few extra memberships from people who forget and let it get paid if they didin't want to renew. But I hope it also saves administration costs?

I agree, the repeated Active.com fee is a crap deal though.

Opting out of this sort of thing seems to be the increasing majority. Life insurance through super is another example. They automatically start deducting premiums unless you opt out (but very little correspondance to tell you how!)

The ACCC are looking at airlines and their excessive credit card fees currently, perhaps we should point them in the direction of actives excessive administration fees...

• Like 2

Wasn't this covered a while ago? TA were streamlining their membership number process, and automatic memebership renewal. So from now on, you have one consistent membership number.

It worked OK. In the end after I figured out my membership had expired which was why my registration for an event as a TA member was failing, I went and renewed my TA membership through Active, came straight back to the event registration left open in another browser tab and it worked immediately. So I guess that was kinda "stream lined". They did gouge me with a large fee though, which is pretty crap considering their system couldn't even tell me my registration was failing because my TA membership had expired.

Obviously Auto renewal didn't work this year for me, didn't even get an email reminder, I didn't notice any message saying it would be Auto next year either... But I didn't pay much attention.

Maybe it's because of the state association? Here is the email I received the other day....

Sent: 30/06/2014 11:48 AM
To:

Subject: 2014-2015 Membership Renewal

2014-2015 Membership Renewal

Dear Triathlon SA member

As we come to the end of season, it is time to renew your Triathlon Australia/Triathlon SA membership.

Go to the Triathlon Australia membership page to renew your National, State and your choice of Club membership for the 2014-2015 season.

Important Information

We are operating on a new system to provide a more streamlined experience for our members and there are some important changes you should be aware of.

Lifelong membership ID – Your new membership ID will stay with you for the duration of your membership. It will begin with the prefix ‘TA’ and will be followed by a number sequence e.g. ‘TA1234’. Please use your new TA ID when entering sanctioned events. If you select a club membership, you will have a separate club membership ID generated.

Membership categories – There have been some slight changes to the membership categories available so please read the information on the Triathlon Australia website to ensure that you select the correct membership category for you.

Family discounts – Whilst we do not offer a ‘family membership’ category, we do offer a 20% discount off annual membership for families of 4 or more individuals (with a maximum of two individuals 20+yrs). Family discounts offered at a club level may vary.

Auto-renewal setting - When you re-join for 2014-2015 your memberships will be set to automatically renew in future years. Towards the end of the 2014-2015 membership year you will be reminded of the upcoming auto-renewal so there will be no surprises.

The auto-renewal feature will save you having to go through the joining process each year, will allow you to maintain the same membership ID and, in particular, will ensure that renewing members are covered for Insurance purposes whilst training and racing in the first few weeks or months of the season.

Should you wish to opt out of auto renewal you can do so at any time via your member portal after you have joined. You can also update your personal details and credit card details via your member portal. Memberships for 19yrs and under will NOT automatically renew.

Every transaction will incur a 5% processing fee charged by the system provider. This transaction fee used to be absorbed by the association but is now being passed on as a transaction charge upon payment.

Click here to complete your 2014-2015 membership now

Identifies the numbering system, auto renewal and active fee. Not that it's great, but I did know up front before I renewed.

Edited by The Turtle

On two competing and one TO renewal, all done in the one CC transaction, I paid $18.50 to Active. Gouging doesn't come close.

Saw this on the email from Tri Vic last night, noted that Vic is now on the compulsory membership with club thingy that NSW and Qld went to last year. I'm hoping to get back to doing enough races this year to warrant rejoining, but jees they make the decision difficult with all this other stuff they do

Club Membership for me & Race Entry on the Day for TA - waste of time re-joining TA Full membership

I got an email advising me to renew (NSW)

As a club we also advised our members anyway as our membership year is same as TA (pretty much has to be).

I am not a fan of the way membership has been managed by TA, Active etc, but I will say that the process was very easy and most of my details were already auto filled from previous activity on the new system.

I got an email advising me to renew (NSW)

As a club we also advised our members anyway as our membership year is same as TA (pretty much has to be).

I am not a fan of the way membership has been managed by TA, Active etc, but I will say that the process was very easy and most of my details were already auto filled from previous activity on the new system.

Exactly. So where's the 6% effort by Active to process this?

I need to charge Active for 10 lost minutes (which is worth much more than the $18.50 they extracted from me). I used the option of filling in address details once, then top replicating them for the other tortoises. I duly changed any necessary fields like name, gender, DOB....

Get to the final page to discover that Mr T is female and a full competing member, master t is the TO. Can I just change the errant fields? No. When I go back are the fields still filled out? No. I had to renter the lot. Not impressed.

Every transaction will incur a 5% processing fee charged by the system provider. This transaction fee used to be absorbed by the association but is now being passed on as a transaction charge upon payment.

The associations are there for their members, if there was an opportunity to create their own registration system in order to save members money on Active fees(which will probably be 7% next year) it should have been thoroughly investigate. Does anyone know if this was the case?

Maybe an on-line petition opposing the default Active fees for all TA events and transactions would get traction if enough TA members signed...

Get sick of reading the TA and Actice whinging on here. As they don't read on here, I'll defend them, appreciate it's a lone voice but a voice none the less.

Here goes:

Leave them alone, they're doing their best. It's not 7% is it. What do you seriously expect for 5 or 6% you whingers. Just say thank you and how dare you post online in a forum that nobody reads. You should ring them or email them rather than communicate with each other, let alone post on here.

Dwarf

Defender of the Faith.

----

Think I nailed it, like always, if I have got this wrong, happy to be corrected.

Edited by Oompa Loompa

I haven't been a member for a few years now but am still a club member. I was having a look at the site to see how much it cost to be a TA member the other day, I think it was going to cost $30 more for non club members to join TA than club members. What's the theory behind that?

Club Membership for me & Race Entry on the Day for TA - waste of time re-joining TA Full membership

You cant do that anymore.

How do they get around people doing BRW / Nissan corp series? Do all those people have to become TA and club members?

I haven't been a member for a few years now but am still a club member. I was having a look at the site to see how much it cost to be a TA member the other day, I think it was going to cost $30 more for non club members to join TA than club members. What's the theory behind that?

That's so they can say they're encouraging people to join clubs. Because it's compulsory for club members to join TA, there was a fear that those that did a few races a year and wanted to join TA would forgo joining a club to save a few dollars. So by imposing a penalty on non-club members often it's cheaper to join a club+TA than just TA alone.

Research shows that if you are a member of a club you will stick with the sport longer. TA worked this out about 8 years ago.

How do they get around people doing BRW / Nissan corp series? Do all those people have to become TA and club members?

One day licences. Same as always.

Dwarf,

You forgot that Active is keeping TA from being completely controlled by the insurance providers, so be glad our peak body is being controlled by more than one corporation

I only do one or two races a year, so it would be cheaper for me to pay TA one day licence fees. I gain no benefit of being in a club, as I do all my training alone. No squads, group sessions or even club social things.

But I decided last year I'd join TA/state A and club to keep supporting the clubs and the sport.

I just picked a club and paid $180 for Club + TA. TA alone (no club) would have been $200. Go figure.

Hopefully I'm doing my bit, as I know I benefit from services the association provides, even if there are $$ wasted along the way somewhere. The club also gets my money and incurs little costs specific to my demands on them - although I'm not sure what component of that $60 goes to the state association/insurance etc, and how much the club actually gets to pocket.

TA has a choice to either use a service provider such as Active or develop a system in house, as a software developer I know in house/custom systems cost a crap load of money to develop, host, maintain, and support. If they went down the in house system path they would have to pass the cost onto it's members which may well be a lot more than what Active charges. Active has taken on these risks & responsibilities and need to recover the costs and make a profit somehow, I don't expect them to work for nothing. I'm not sure if TA looked at any other companies that provide the same service before selecting Active but I would have thought they'd all have to charge similar amounts to cover their costs.

I only do one or two races a year, so it would be cheaper for me to pay TA one day licence fees. I gain no benefit of being in a club, as I do all my training alone. No squads, group sessions or even club social things.

But I decided last year I'd join TA/state A and club to keep supporting the clubs and the sport.

I just picked a club and paid $180 for Club + TA. TA alone (no club) would have been $200. Go figure.

Hopefully I'm doing my bit, as I know I benefit from services the association provides, even if there are $$ wasted along the way somewhere. The club also gets my money and incurs little costs specific to my demands on them - although I'm not sure what component of that $60 goes to the state association/insurance etc, and how much the club actually gets to pocket.

Turtle, the club gets $60. (less Active fees of course).

Turtle, the club gets $60. (less Active fees of course).

Good to hear. The clubs keep the sport going

Okay. I'm going to have a little rant here, so forgive me.

As an administrator of a club, the new system is far from streamlined. For the last 5 years we've used Active for all our memberships and race entries. I haven't added up what we've paid them in that time but for a club of around 100 members it's significant. Probably over $50000.

Going online back then made things a lot easier for us in managing our race entries and membership database. The fees we paid were woth the convenience of having evrything together online. All our club communication is done via Active. Everyone that's done one of our races or been a member is in the database. The one caveat when sending an email using your Active database is that it has to be linked to an event.

In other words if I want to send an email asking people to renew their 2014/15 membership I have to link to that event. Trouble is, that's not my event. It's TA's. So I can't do that. I've had to create a dummy club membership, put that link in the body of the email and then tell people not to click it. Stupid.

The other thing, prior to last season, all our club members were in our database. If I wanted to do a reminder I could build an email list from the previous 3 years memberships and email out to them. For last season and this coming season, I don't have that database. Particularly this year because it's on the new Active Works platform. All our stuff for the last 5 years is on Active's Regonline platform. Guess what? The two platforms don't talk to each other!

We've chosen as a club to absorb the Active fees because we don't charge Active fees for any of our events. I don't believe in it. I believe the price you advertise should be the final price (we obviously charge one day licence fees separately, but we lose the Active fee out of that because we have to pass the whole fee on to TA!).

Anyway, in summary I suppose I'm just pissed off because I put in countless hours over the whole year to put in and administer this process to make it easier for our members and all we seem to do is shell out fees to other parties.

Rant over.

• Like 1

We have a similar problem with bulk emails. At the beginning of the season I used to know how to update my membership list, but then if people told us they had changed their email address but didn't go back into TA and change it themselves, we ended up with out of date email addresses. A redundant system is a right PTIA.

I understand all the Active rage - but what about the CC charge fee? 3.5% is the going rate for processing a CC transaction so the other 1.5% is what TA and IRONMAN pay for being lazy and getting other people to do their admin and web hosting tasks.

It's the non absorbing of the fee by TA and IM that is stupid - where else online do you pay extra for paying card? (Which is the only accepted payment option - incidentally)

So maybe it's not Active but TA and IM you should really be moaning about. Prices should include the fee and they can charge what they like. It's like the US where you pay sale tax ontop of the price - highly annoying!!

3.5%? Whoever negotiated that got screwed. I thought 1.1-2% was a descent rate for credit card processing

3.5%? Whoever negotiated that got screwed. I thought 1.1-2% was a descent rate for credit card processing

Yes, for general society, but not triathletes. Triathlete can afford to pay, did you know they spend $10 000 on bikes so high charges are justified.

Sure, if you are a big merchant you might get it that low. Id sat most pay 2-2.5% But PayPal is 3.5% and Eventbrite charge 3.5% BEFORE they add their fees.

The ACCC are looking at airlines and their excessive credit card fees currently, perhaps we should point them in the direction of actives excessive administration fees...

Already onto it and have lodged my complaint with the ACCC about the $14 "processing" fee. If anyone else feels the same way go to the link below and lodge a complaint. The more complaints the better as I assume it will flag in their system and with any chance they'll investigate.

http://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/complaints-problems

Sure, if you are a big merchant you might get it that low. Id sat most pay 2-2.5% But PayPal is 3.5% and Eventbrite charge 3.5% BEFORE they add their fees.

So what happens if you rock up to TA office with the cash? Last time I checked they can't refuse cash as it is legal tender, and they therefore have no right to charge a processing fee?

Having active.com as the only payment option is complete bullshit, what needs to happen is we should be given the option of using an alternative method (as per Airlines, eBay etc).

But as far as I can see this battle is already lost. I am betting some long term contracts would've been signed granting them exclusivity in exchange for providing their "free" services/websites/backend management systems to the clubs.

Everyone is essentially locked in to their platform - good luck trying to get clubs who have spend their time and resources learning / migrating / creating their websites under this new system and then getting them to move elsewhere / start all over again.

To add to your rant downesy, i like to provide the club coaches with a current member list just to make sure we only have members participating in club training. This new Active works has a section where you can run a membership report, but only for 2 month joining periods. So i had to run two reports for before July first and combine them and now run reports every few day from July first and add that list. Would not be too bad if i worked for TA owned a training squad, but volunteering for a club plus have a job and family makes this process a pain and surly not necessary

• Like 2

So what happens if you rock up to TA office with the cash? Last time I checked they can't refuse cash as it is legal tender, and they therefore have no right to charge a processing fee?

Interesting thought.

Email TA and ask them who do you send the cash or cheque to for next years membership.

Everyone is essentially locked in to their platform - good luck trying to get clubs who have spend their time and resources learning / migrating / creating their websites under this new system and then getting them to move elsewhere / start all over again.

You mean like we have just had to do...? (Those of us who started again 2 years ago and fully embraced the last Active version as per TA preference - although at least that time we had a choice)

I need to charge Active for 10 lost minutes (which is worth much more than the $18.50 they extracted from me). I used the option of filling in address details once, then top replicating them for the other tortoises. I duly changed any necessary fields like name, gender, DOB....

Get to the final page to discover that Mr T is female and a full competing member, master t is the TO. Can I just change the errant fields? No. When I go back are the fields still filled out? No. I had to renter the lot. Not impressed.

Your paying $18:50 for the privilege of a 10 minute break. ;)

Interesting thought.

Email TA and ask them who do you send the cash or cheque to for next years membership.

"A 5% processing fee is applied to every transaction. This fee is charged by the system provider and includes credit card fees. This is a fee that has always been charged on membership transactions however until now we (TA and the STTAs) have absorbed the fee on behalf of our members.

As the sport grows, so do the associated costs of servicing the sport. Membership fees have remained unchanged for the past 2 years (2012-2013, 2013-2014). Instead of increasing membership prices, we have instead decided to pass the 5% transaction fee onto the member.

If you also choose to join a club, then there will be a 5% transaction fee associate with your club membership fee. Each club now has the autonomy to decide whether they will absorb the club portion of the 5% transaction fee, or charge it onto their members so this will vary between clubs.

Unfortunately we do not offer alternative payment method when joining. We are always working to create efficiencies across our sport and we feel that the new online membership system provides the best platform for this, reducing the administrative tasks associated with membership therefore better enabling us to service our members."

To add to your rant downesy, i like to provide the club coaches with a current member list just to make sure we only have members participating in club training. This new Active works has a section where you can run a membership report, but only for 2 month joining periods. So i had to run two reports for before July first and combine them and now run reports every few day from July first and add that list. Would not be too bad if i worked for TA owned a training squad, but volunteering for a club plus have a job and family makes this process a pain and surly not necessary

I noticed that too.

On the old platform you just click on the event and it shows you all the participants, whether it was a race or membership. You didn't have to stuff around downloading reports and filtering date ranges and so forth.

I was contemplating switching to the new platform for this year's race series. Tried to build the entry page for Race 1 and it failed at the second step. As it was Sunday afternoon I just gave up and we'll be using Regonline again this year.

TA I know you don't read on here, but never fear, the defender of the faith is here.

Here goes.

-------

Just say thank you, we know what's best for you, if you don't like, you've got a lot to learn.

-----

Hope that's enough to stop this bunch of whingers wanting a customer centric organisation as the competitors go gang busters.

Till next time,

Dwarf

Defender of the Faith.

Yes you can. It is mandatory to be a TA member to be a club member, not to race. You can still pay a fee and race.

Hang on. So if I only do shep I don't have to become a TA member?

Note I will be a TA member for the 21st year this year.

Hang on. So if I only do shep I don't have to become a TA member?

Note I will be a TA member for the 21st year this year.

Ok- I'll bat this one off too for em. Probably get free membership Im doing such a good job. Here goes,

------

Yes, that is correct but we are raising fees massively in the not to distant future so the gap between membership and purchasing one day licences isn't as big. Did you know now that since we went compulsory we have farked up the amount of money we made on one day memberships - now who would have thought if we make everyone members this would happen.

Regardless of that, You need to join for the good of the sport, whilst we may appear to Jack schit for the membership we do heaps, like did you know, we have moved offices three times in the last few years and also employed a heap of people - so there.

Yours

Dwarf

Defender of the Faith

------------

Like always, if anything I have said, is incorrect, more than happy to be corrected, I just base this summation on emails I received from our sport which are enthralling reading.

Probably a good time to bump this one up with membership renewals happening? 6 years later and imagine the motza Active has made on clubs and memberships and with no end in sight. 

Has it improved ? I know I couldn’t renew on my phone this year and had to use my laptop. Could be my iPhone I guess. 

Imagine too  the compulsory membership model has kicked in well and truly now and driving membership backwards like the triathlon whisperers said it would back in the day. 

Curiosity has me now, might look up the membership numbers. 

Well there you go, just looked up the 2019 annual report, t a membership has declined 5-6 % every year for the last three years. Quite sad to be right on this one, let alone predict it would happen when they adopted the compulsory model. 

2019-20 is not there yet, so maybe it’s reversed as it would be easier to reverse the lower the number gets and as Australia’s population ever increases. It’s still a good sport so maybe they can do different, get some energy and rattle the cage and grow the membership base and bring some life back to the old girl.