Sign in to follow this  
Rough Rider

Help to fix a HED Alps Front Wheel

On a training ride before IMOZ I broke a spoke on a HED Alps front wheel so much so that it no longer spun between the brakes - Is this what happens when you break a spoke?

Now in the throws of trying to get it fixed but it is a bladed spoke and it has broken at the thread where it screws into the Hub. Looks like the hub needs to be pulled apart to try and fix this spoke. Thing that worries me is that there is no way of knowing what the condition of the remaining spokes is and if any one of them will be the next to go.

So Questions:

1) Would you get the one spoke fixed and chance the others?

2) Pull the old hub and spokes and put in a new hub and spokes?

3) If option 2 is the way to do - does this need to be a HED hub or could you use something different with the HED Alps rim

4) Is there a way to check the integrity of the rim befoer going to all this trouble

Thanks all

If my memory is right these are a fairing on the rim ? The rim should be fine but these early low spoke wheels used massive tension and a spoke breaking caused you not to be able to ride home.

I am not sure of how the spoke goes into the hub but it should be able to be replaced without rebuilding the hub.

To be honest if it is a much trouble as it should a good second hand front race wheel will cost way less than a new hub and spokes in a wheel lime that.

those front spokes are titanium , if you can unthread the spoke/nipple you will be able to re-use the nipple ,but you will need to remove the tyre (and tube and rim tape if a clincher wheel ) a Stainless steel spoke will do the job ok

I reckon those wheels are worth no more than $500 now so do your own maths on the value of all the work

Edited by latman

R.R.

Are you intending on doing the respoking yourself?

As a general comment, the likelihood of the hub being damaged is remote. If the wheel is old(ish) then you may consider replacing all the spokes, if it's new(ish) then only the broken spoke. If price is an consideration, then replacing the spokes with stainless spokes rather than titanium ones may be an option.

do you have a LBS that you trust? if so, leave it to them to advise you.

Thanks AVAGO - good advice. Waiting to hear back from my LBS so looked here to the collective wisdom of the masses. No - I wouldn't be doing the respoking as I wouldn't know where to start.

Do you need to lace a HED hub with a HED rim or could you go with a more friendly hub in regards to how the spokes attach to it?