Smurfet47

How many hours do you train a week?

So I know this varies and I hope it hasn't been done but i am curious to see what the average tranny logs each week.

I was hoping maybe something like

Off season: hrs/week

Racing: hrs/week

Distance: sprint/oly/70.3/IM/other

After having a very quick progression across the distances since staring triathlons I am trying to figure out what my new goals are post IM and how to regain a good balance.

Offseason depends on the surf, but i'm never sitting still, 10-14 hours.

In training:
on the rebuild after an ordinary 2 years.
last 5 weeks have been all 20-23 hours. This will gradually build as my long ride actually gets long and my two long runs get longer.

distance: Everything from mini's to ironman.

I have always been a minimalist so to balance work, travel to work, family and hobbies.

As I am retired from racing, I usually train about 4 hours a week off-season and about 8 hors on season (mmm... how can I have an off season/on season if I am retired ??).

Anyway, thats doing a few sprints and Olys and maybe thinking of a half. I guess I like training. BTW, I used to get away with 10 hours only training for a half.

FM

Edited by Flanman

Current focus is IM distance, but in reality, will try to complete anything I start

Last week was 1hour of swimming, 10 hours on the bike (four days of commuting, plus some trainer work), and ~3hours running.

Smurfet,

Don't be overawed by the numbers people throw up. There are a lot of pointy-end race people on this site, others that really love training, some have more time on their hands by deisgn plus others dont watch TV. What works for one may not work or others.

I have never trained longer than 14 hours in a week and I just finished by 25th season. I am mainly a BOTPer for the last 15 years - by design.

FM

Currently working towards two 70.3 one in August and one September, do sprint & Oly distances through out the year. Planning towards first ironman next year. Training is 10 to 14 hours per week pretty much most of the year, with work and life 14 hours is about as much as I am willing to put in.

Smurfet,

Don't be overawed by the numbers people throw up. There are a lot of pointy-end race people on this site, others that really love training, some have more time on their hands by deisgn plus others dont watch TV. What works for one may not work or others.

I have never trained longer than 14 hours in a week and I just finished by 25th season. I am mainly a BOTPer for the last 15 years - by design.

FM

Flanman, I am hoping to use it as a bit of a guide to decide what distance I can do with the hours I have free rather.

Over a year mine averages around 8hr week, max out at 14hr during an IM build, couple of zero weeks a year, but week in / week out target is about 6hr

This fits in with a job, commute by car, family.

I have weekly hours logged since 2004 and is a resonably consistent substainable lifestyle. If i did more focused hours then could go faster

Smurfet,

Sounds good. Provided you have come from a little sports back ground, you can get away with training for a half for 6 - 8 hours for a month or so and 10 hours for a couple of weeks. I have known people (i.e. me and the "pig run" crew) who have completed halves with only a handful of weeks at 4 - 6 hours training. It's just a matter of where you want to finish (probably why I have been a MOTP and BOTP).

I have always played sport (only missed 2009 since starting sport in 1967). I used to do 5 - 8 hours of training aged 30 - 35 for HIMs around the 5 hour mark. I was swimmer but never a runner. If you are a runner you will crap it in.

FM

Edited by Flanman

I clock up up 10 hours a week commuting on the bike, plus, depending on what I'm doing another 3-6 hours. Swim 2 hours, peak at 4hours a week, run 2 hours peak at 5-6. I never do 25 hours in a week as indicated if you add these all up! During a prep I'll drop some commuting to concentrate on specific training and my totals build over the duration of the plan.

I also train because I enjoy it...chat with friends, coffee, beer etc. If I don't enjoy it I dont do it.

This year I have been averaging around 15hrs/wk with 2 big weeks at 25hrs/wk. I have been building for Cairns 70.3 with a bunch of olympic and sprint races in the mean time.

In the off season it will be 8-10 hours with a LOT more intensity.

As Flanman said, it's really a matter of how competative you want to be, and what sort of background you come from. I think thats more important than what distance you want to do.

For me, I have zero background until around 2005, and am happy being a "go-rounder" building the back end of the field so that the fasties can have goals like "top 20%" (heck, someone has to be slower!).

When not in a specific build, usually around 8 hrs a week. When getting towards the point end of prep for IM and HIM, the long run and rides on the weekend build, so can get up to 14 or so.

I don't have a specific season as such - I only race once or twice a year. The rest is just exercise I suppose.

( seem to average around 6:40 half and 15 hr IM. I should be able to go faster based on my training, but I usually have some form of bad luck or health issue on race day, and have so far never had a race that lets me perform as well as my training would suggest)

I'm training mainly for an HIM in Nov. I can swim the distance, but I'm a failure on the bike and run. Currently averaging 10hrs/week, which only 1hr/week is for swimming (so I don't forget to swim!). The remaining hours are spread between bike and run as I need to focus more on these. Once I get at least the distance for the bike and run done (which I can't even do atm), I'll balance it out more.

I hope it works, otherwise I'll be stuffed :-)

I think max has only ever been 16-17.

15 fits in well with work and family for me and gets me between 4:30-4:45 for a hhalf . can't justify more vs. Newly wed relationship at this stage but one year I'll go all out for a season

Offseason depends on the surf, but i'm never sitting still, 10-14 hours.

In training:

on the rebuild after an ordinary 2 years.

last 5 weeks have been all 20-23 hours. This will gradually build as my long ride actually gets long and my two long runs get longer.

distance: Everything from mini's to ironman.

When's the Long Course comeback Ruley?? Sunny Coast 70.3 maybe or have you got an IM on the agenda? Edited by caesar

I am going in to Cairns IM next week with a maximum training week of only 14 1/2 hours over 6 sessions (2 x 75min swims; 90min windtrainer intervals; 60min interval run session; 5 and half hour ride with 30 minute run; 3 and 1/2 hour run). Lot less than I trained for my first IM at Port last year when I did 9 sessions a week. Feel fresher physically and mentally and that my sessions have provided more quality than last year. Training is an ever evolving learning curve and guess will find out in 10 days if it is evolving in the right direction. Did 12 and a half hours at Port where my only goal was to finish irrelevant of time - aiming to go 11 and a half at Cairns and training would suggest that is possible.

This is as much time as I wish to train with family and work commitments and will be satisfied with whatever outcome that provides.

I aim to average around the 8-10hr mark. I've just started my work-up towards SC 70.3 this week so I will be looking to up that to around 12-14hrs (other than easier weeks) for the next 3 months. I'm hoping this will get me somewhere around the 4:45 mark depending on conditions on the day.

Out of interest, to the people who are consistently training upwards of 15-20hrs (even approaching 30 hours), do you have full-time jobs and a family?

I'm lucky to have a heated pool at my work, I often commute to work to log bike miles (35km each way) and I often run straight after work so I feel like I am pretty efficient with my training time and hours. I also have a wife and two kids under 6 and work usually runs around the 45+hrs per week so I'm not sure how I could successfully add many more training hours per week.

I'm not having a go or looking to start arguments but I'm just curious, are the people who are doing massive hours students, part-time workers, retired or not have families? Or are some people exaggerating or are these just hours that you may do once in a blue moon during an IM build-up?

Generally try and train consistently through the year, no off season as such. Average around 12 hours a week (roughly split as 25% swim. 50% bike, 25% run). Some weeks a bit less, others a bit more - depends whats happening with work and family. I've ramped up slightly for IM Cairns, averaging 14 hours over the last 8 weeks.

12 hours is about right for me and I think you can be pretty competitive at least up to HIM if you're consistent through the year. Majority of my training is 5-6:30 AM (or 8:30 AM at weekend) and 6-7 PM plus I can swim during lunch at work. Rest of the time is family, work or sleep time.

I aim to average around the 8-10hr mark. I've just started my work-up towards SC 70.3 this week so I will be looking to up that to around 12-14hrs (other than easier weeks) for the next 3 months. I'm hoping this will get me somewhere around the 4:45 mark depending on conditions on the day.

Out of interest, to the people who are consistently training upwards of 15-20hrs (even approaching 30 hours), do you have full-time jobs and a family?

I'm lucky to have a heated pool at my work, I often commute to work to log bike miles (35km each way) and I often run straight after work so I feel like I am pretty efficient with my training time and hours. I also have a wife and two kids under 6 and work usually runs around the 45+hrs per week so I'm not sure how I could successfully add many more training hours per week.

I'm not having a go or looking to start arguments but I'm just curious, are the people who are doing massive hours students, part-time workers, retired or not have families? Or are some people exaggerating or are these just hours that you may do once in a blue moon during an IM build-up?

I'm in a not dissimilar sitiuation and have found myself wondering the same thing whenever the topic of regular weekly training hours comes up.

Particularly once work hours ramp up past 55 hours, finding any time remaining after attending to the little people seems akin to looking for a needle in the proverbial...

• Like 1

Similar to a few others, I can normally balance family and work (45-50 hrs) with consistent 10-12 hr 70.3 training - which is 1.5 hr early each weekday morn and sat (finished by 7) with a longer 4-5 hr brick on sundays (finished by 9.30-10). Gets me to around 4.15-4.30 time. Last 10 weeks for IM cairns has been 18-19 hrs, and probably not sustainable as family time has been squeezed.