Sign in to follow this  
sammo

Charity help

Hi everyone.

I understand this is not triathlon related, but I am looking at help, answers and possibly a solution to my financial situation.

My wife is currently undergoing chemo for terminal breast cancer, however her current treatment plan has not worked and now we are required to pay $17,000 per 4 months to pay for a new drug that will hopefully give us up to 2 years together.

My wife is no longer working and I receive bare minimal wage as a part time personal trainer. We cant access our Super or remortgage our home due to me being a part time employer and being on a partial pension from the Police.

Can you please take a minute to read our story and if you cant afford to help us out, possibly share it on your various social networks.

I raised nearly $17,000 recently for the McGrath Foundation, which involved me running the marathon leg at Port in a pink tutu. I am out of ideas as to how to raise the necessary money now that we desperately need it.

Link: http://www.gofundme.com/9iijzk

Thank you for taking th time to at least read this.

Not sure what to say here... it's not often that a new post goes unanswered for 24 hours on this site, let alone one like this that at least deserves some comment.

Sammo, the lack of a response should in no way be taken as no one caring about your situation. If anything, I think the silence is a reflection of us simply not knowing what to say. I don't know you personally, but your story has touched me greatly. You and your amazing wife have done so much good for others and now hopefully some hope will be returned.

I can't speak for others, but I'd imagine that there are many here who are like myself and are not in a position to make any substantial contribution to your fundraising, but would still like wish you all the best with the 'fight'. Our thoughts are with you.

What I would like to do, is offer an idea. It's a wild idea, but hopefully it is one that some other people (those who are much smarter or who have more 'sway' than myself) might be able to do something with and possibly develop it into something that may help you, and ultimately many others well into the future.

Each year, many of us pledge to spend thousands of dollars lining the pockets of the large profit making organisations for providing us with the opportunity to participate in our sporting pursuits. Ironman and similar challenges are the most obvious events, but it could be any endeavor where you do it for some reason other than the money and fame (I would imagine that's probably most of us!).

People seem to take on endurance events for a number of reasons. These include:

• The challenge of completing the distance.
  • The challenge of completing the course.
  • They want to do it with mates.
  • They want to meet new people.
  • Bragging rights.

(For some reason people also seem to want to do it quicker than their previous attempts - although this is often a bit false due to different courses and conditions etc, and of course some just do it for the medal and towel).

What if... We pledge to do one event (training day, social session or whatever you want to call it) where instead of giving the money to a large profit making organisation we simply donate the same (or whatever amount you choose) to a charity.

The event(s) would simply be whatever we come up with as a good idea at the time. For instance, there might be a couple of guys and girls who plan to do an Ironman distance training day up in the mountains somewhere. They plot out a course that suits them and then throw it out there for others to join them if they wish. This would work well with people supporting each other and helping them get to the end. You could even share spares and nutrition if you like, and a well designed course could allow people of different abilities to be able to meet up at different points along the way. You get to tick all the boxes above by going the distance over a challenging course with a few of your mates, and you get to meet a few new like minded people as well. There's no reason it couldn't be as enjoyable as many of the Ironman events we do plus you get to donate to a good cause as well. No pressure, you just donate what you're happy with, no one else needs to know how much that is - keeping in mind how much you usually pay for the 'Ironman experience'.

This is not an organised event, it's just a few friends heading out and doing some training together. Other options might be to do something different like an endurance bike ride or even a long distance paddle or run. Make a weekend of it and have a get together on the Saturday night maybe. I'm sure if people put their minds to it they could come up with some good options. Others might like to do a 'solo' challenge then come on here and tell us what you've done.

Like I said, this is a bit of a wild idea but perhaps someone can make something of it. It would only take about 25 of us, paying roughly the equivalent of an IM entry (let alone the travel & accommodation costs) to raise $18,000 to help Sammo and his family. And if it goes well, perhaps many others in the future.

Just a thought.

Ill give $50 per hour I spend on the Ironman course in Cairns.

That pledge alone will give at least $700.

Suddenly I'm not feeling guilty for not training for the last year.

• Like 3

Redirected my annual donation to the "pink campaign" towards yours Sammo.

Just a slight twist to Go Easy's idea, and linking-in some ideas on another thread that IronmanFoz mentioned about a Trannies hook-up. Why not host a ride up in Orange, along the lines of a: meet here at x o'clock, we'll ride this (say, 100Km) and finish here (minimal effort to organise). All riders make a donation, with an additional fine for those not wearing pink. Perhaps if there's a local campsite, everyone can then hit the beer after the ride before heading home the next day.

• Like 2

I don't know about anyone else but I've tried to donate twice but PayPal is stopping me

I'd be happy to stick it straight into your account if you want to DM your account details.

Terrible news Brett. My thoughts are with you and your family. I have just donated. x

Hi guys.

Thanks for the lovely messages, both on here and via PM.

I really do appreciate all your support.

Been off the radar of late, just helping my wife with the new round of chemo which is a real shocker and leaving her bed bound.

Ratdog, your offer simply amazes me.

And sorry not sure about the paypal issues.

I am happy to help organise anything you guys think is worthy of doing.

I just dont have the energy or mental edge to do anything myself. Sorry.

Our current fundraiser has just hit $6,000 which means we can pay for my wife's next round of chemo due in 2 weeks.

Today's payment ($7,220) was paid for basically by my parents and our savings.

Thanks again. Really appreciate it.

Here is a link to my wife's charity facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Francines-Fight-Support-Team-Sammut/671251729588777

Edited by sammo

I wish I could help. I can't fathom what you and your family are going through.

I am possibly considering getting a tri suit made up for my last 2 triathons before I have to pack it away (Penrith 70.3 and Challenge Shep).

I had to pull out of Port 2015, as I just dont have the mental capability to do it under my current circumstances.

Possibly sponsorship opp, or get businesses to sponsor it.

If anyone has any contacts or businesses that might want to help, please let me know.

I am getting a little desperate, sorry.

Don't say sorry. You have nothing to be sorry for when trying to look after your family.

Hi sammo

I just donated. (Paypal works!)

I wish you and your family all the best. I know the financial stress on top of everything you're going through must be horrible.

Sending big hugs

I just chucked a lobster in. Wish I could do more.

edit... got this message when I went to pay. "Your payment can't be completed. Please return to the participating website and try again"

Will try again tomorrow.

Edited by Rocket Salad