ironpo

avoiding import duty

Thanks condog

This is the info I will be passing onto X

I reckon they would be pretty redhot onto stuff like this

Cheers

Ip

and get mum to buy and pay for part 2 out of her account

Best to get Xs mum to pay for the lot then these no need to avoid paying duty LOL

Cheers

Ip

I once knew a guy who bought a bike from overseas and while discussing on Skype (nothing was written down) with the seller of the bike, the seller said he could list it as "picked up from the store in person", but would send it privately (ie. under his name, not the stores name) as a gift.

…if that made any sense.

Agreed - my thought would be to have your present delivered to beloved US relative for his next birthday. This relative loves to tinker and play so much that he break bike down into parts, this unfortunately causes some of the parts to become dirty :-( However wife gets on his back and he needs more room in the garage and decides to gift his favorite relative (you) the parts, of course seperartly in multiple shipments over time. Unfortunately he threw out the original packaging - bummer. He is also thinking about starting an online business so decides to perhaps try out different couriers. Perhaps he was unsure your address so decides to ship the packages to your house, your mum and dad's, sister, friends house and the dog down the street... Hopefully one of those packages of the old bike parts arrives safely.

My n= 1 --> (a friend) purchased some bike stuff / powermeter last year valued at significantly > $1K. (a friend) asked them to drop the value to < $1K, and they did on the provision that insurance wouldn't cover (a friend) if something happened.

I admit the value of a wheel is easier to hide than the value of a bike though.

Simples.. bike value is stand alone till $999 shipping not included in tax calculation. Ie it comes in no probs...

One you go over the $1k then gst and all shipping costs het included. Safely add another 15% + broker fees..

Get the bike listed on ebay, buy it now, pay by paypal and then you have all the required docs to show legit transaction.

Fyi - gift is irrelevant to customs.. over $1k and you get whacked..

How do I know... my ladies boardman cost me an extra $350 after the feckers went on wiggle to find a similar bike for value..

I will be deleting this in 1 day.. :-) Cheers, M

Fyi - gift is irrelevant to customs.. over $1k and you get whacked..

How do I know... my ladies boardman cost me an extra $350 after the feckers went on wiggle to find a similar bike for value..

I know how you feel.

I could have bought another bike.

Agreed - my thought would be to have your present delivered to beloved US relative for his next birthday. This relative loves to tinker and play so much that he break bike down into parts, this unfortunately causes some of the parts to become dirty :-( However wife gets on his back and he needs more room in the garage and decides to gift his favorite relative (you) the parts, of course seperartly in multiple shipments over time. Unfortunately he threw out the original packaging - bummer. He is also thinking about starting an online business so decides to perhaps try out different couriers. Perhaps he was unsure your address so decides to ship the packages to your house, your mum and dad's, sister, friends house and the dog down the street... Hopefully one of those packages of the old bike parts arrives safely.

Lots of thinking there

You must have a simular plan

Cheers

Ip

A radical idea for your friend Ironpo.

Order the wonder bike at a great price, have the seller ship it to you, factor in the and pay the GST & Duty when it gets here.

That way X, who is obviously has a couple of dollar$ to their name, otherwise they'd be buying a much cheaper bike, will sleep soundly at night knowing that they're not going to be charged with fraud or evasion and can look forward to the arrival of new bike rather than customs official.

It's interesting how we obey the road rule, we behave appropriately most of the time, we have developed whole industries to legally minimize taxation payments and yet we also think it's ok to knowingly cheat where customs & duties are concerned.

enjoy the bike and please get your friend to post some pics when it arrive.

• Like 4

A radical idea for your friend Ironpo.

Order the wonder bike at a great price, have the seller ship it to you, factor in the and pay the GST & Duty when it gets here.

That way X, who is obviously has a couple of dollar$ to their name, otherwise they'd be buying a much cheaper bike, will sleep soundly at night knowing that they're not going to be charged with fraud or evasion and can look forward to the arrival of new bike rather than customs official.

It's interesting how we obey the road rule, we behave appropriately most of the time, we have developed whole industries to legally minimize taxation payments and yet we also think it's ok to knowingly cheat where customs & duties are concerned.

enjoy the bike and please get your friend to post some pics when it arrive.

Yes

Avago I have contacted X this morning and suggested they get the seller to right down the invoice to a more reasonable/ believable price

That way it's a legit transaction and every ones a winner and mr Abbott gets his money so he can have his next pay rise

Thanks for all the informative posts and ideas

Cheers

IP

From someone whos wife imports running shoes for a living beleive me they are on to this big time. They aint stupid and anyone paying the cost to courier a bike is not moving a $600 bike. They would open it for that reason alone. Google would spit out the cost and model and bang your gone.

We have had many many dealings with customs, in all cases we have been legit, but it has opened my eyes into how much they know whats going on.... Anything coming via air or sea has electronic data mining for abnormalities and if this seller has been doing this previously and getting away with it, that does not mean they havent got an open investigation already happening...and they may simply be gathering more evidence as we have previously found is the case....ie your mate gets his bike and then cops the fines and fees later...if hes lucky

If they have already been sending emails then he would be even crazier to do this...

Plus the craziest thing is , if they deem its deliberate evasion they have the right to sieze and auction the goods...or just hold it for 18 months while they process the case..

If it was a used bike, 3 year old bike or maybe worth $1500 you might get away with it, but with a $5k bike not a chance .

They know we are legit and they know we declare correct all the time, but 80% of our parcels arrive opened by customs...

hahaha, nothing like the scare mongering at work (and working) right here.

I know of people who do this on the regular and never get stabbed with extra duty and GST. In fact I know someone that imported a $7.5k bike with no issues :S

I like how it goes over snow!

It's just about to snow here ATM

Might need a sled :-)

Cheers

Ip

P.S - Your friend X must be getting a really Phat bike ;)

X does need to loose some weight :-)

Cheers

Ip

Edited by ironpo

I am reporting this thread for its X rated content.

LOL

I reckon if you google X this thread will be on the top of the list

Cheers

Ip

• Like 1

Put it this way, there are large quantities of illegal drugs that make their way through our postal system undetected. Only a minority are picked up. I wouldn't worry about your bike :)

Customs knowledge base is extensive and like most people they take pride in their jobs, if they feel someone is trying to pull the wool over their eyes they will take a vested interested in examining the product a lot closer. If it is a new piece of equipment chances are they will know the approx value and determine relatively quickly that the importer is trying to exploit the import laws hence they will delve deeper. For those that say they got something through without issue there are just as many that have issues. Oompa Loompa could give some good examples I'm thinking of various items that have been detected because the customs officer is aware of said items...and its amazing how many people are into cycling these days and the demographics that they represent.

If it were I and I had an opportunity to have a third party forward the item after either changing for used tyres and chain etc i think that would be the option...unless I paid the import tax.