Oompa Loompa

Crap logos of tri clubs

Well, I just read Redcliffe story, I liked it, but what's with the logo, it is a disgrace. Sure steeped in history but a disgrace. Same for my club Engadine, it's as ugly as, there is no way you would get a tattoo of it or a branding.

So, was it that triathlon clubs strand out of the 80's / early 90's when these designs were rife. They are simply crap.

How about somebody do up Redcliffe and Engadine new ones? Winner gets a thank you and the sport will be indebted to you forever.

Nice way to get some traffic to the website :lol:

But I do agree, they have aged. I disagree though with ETC's being crappier.

We've had the same issue here trying to come up with a new logo.

There are a number of issues, the biggest being you have to get a committee to agree on the design. The only way you can properly do it is to have a small sub committee of 3 people max come up with a design.

The other one we found is the whole "3 elements" issue. Half our committee don't like the swim, bike, run dudes while the other half think you have to have them. I've seen a few logos that use 3 different coloured bars or stripes or swishes to represent the three legs, to varying effectiveness. Being in Hervey Bay it's almost imperative to include a whale or whale tail (a bit like RTC's dolphin).

It's a very difficult process and I'm still not satisfied with ours. We managed to design some decent kit last year for the first time for a while, but that was a pretty exhausting process as well.

I do agree though OL. We see a fair bit of Redcliffe and have commented in the past that it needs a bit of a freshen up. There are some very good people in the club so they may take the comments on board.

Wow, there some big words you are throwing around. Yeah sure its not the most funky looking logo but calling someones club logo a "disgrace" is purely disrespectful. Pull your head in you peanut.

Well, I just read Redcliffe story, I liked it, but what's with the logo, it is a disgrace. Sure steeped in history but a disgrace. Same for my club Engadine, it's as ugly as, there is no way you would get a tattoo of it or a branding.

So, was it that triathlon clubs strand out of the 80's / early 90's when these designs were rife. They are simply crap.

How about somebody do up Redcliffe and Engadine new ones? Winner gets a thank you and the sport will be indebted to you forever.

This is the yardstick by which all other tri logos are measured!

http://www.triathlonireland.com

For those with young ones, that reminds me of an off-colour Lumpy Space Princess

Out of curiosity, went to check the other Home Nations. Wales, England and GB use the same logo with different colours, Scotland does their own thing.

At Club Champs, We were treated to a brief history of Hills by one of our founding fathers. Original colours were purple and yellow, logo was the ubiquitous triangle. Someone with half a brain got a graphic designer on board, changed colours to red/black and designed the logo. It's still looking pretty good by Tri standards over 20 years later.

Wow, there some big words you are throwing around. Yeah sure its not the most funky looking logo but calling someones club logo a "disgrace" is purely disrespectful. Pull your head in you peanut.

apologies, was meant with humour to encourage improvement in our sport and give those clubs a growth opportunity.

I probably should have said something like blight on the sport instead.

And Nealo.... Lol

• Like 1

We've had the same issue here trying to come up with a new logo.

There are a number of issues, the biggest being you have to get a committee to agree on the design. The only way you can properly do it is to have a small sub committee of 3 people max come up with a design.

The other one we found is the whole "3 elements" issue. Half our committee don't like the swim, bike, run dudes while the other half think you have to have them. I've seen a few logos that use 3 different coloured bars or stripes or swishes to represent the three legs, to varying effectiveness. Being in Hervey Bay it's almost imperative to include a whale or whale tail (a bit like RTC's dolphin).

It's a very difficult process and I'm still not satisfied with ours. We managed to design some decent kit last year for the first time for a while, but that was a pretty exhausting process as well.

I do agree though OL. We see a fair bit of Redcliffe and have commented in the past that it needs a bit of a freshen up. There are some very good people in the club so they may take the comments on board.

. Think TA uses three stripes

apologies, was meant with humour to encourage improvement in our sport and give those clubs a growth opportunity.

I probably should have said something like blight on the sport instead.

And Nealo.... Lol

All good. There has been some talk about changing up the logo but not sure how far that has gone. Apology accepted.

All good. There has been some talk about changing up the logo but not sure how far that has gone. Apology accepted.

See my comments above Marcus. It's not easy. Someone has to take the step to get some ideas drawn up to present to the committee. If the club has a friend that's a graphic artist or even has something like Corel and Photoshop that's probably the best way.

At least their not as bad as the Brisbane Tri Club's original cycling jersey. White jersey with flouro blue, flouro pink & flouro yellow horizontal bands with white between them around the chest.

Absolutely disgusting, and I helped with the design. :shy:

Pay peanuts, get monkeys. This is just replicating how the first ones were arrived at.

Someone with half a brain got a graphic designer on board, changed colours to red/black and designed the logo. It's still looking pretty good by Tri standards over 20 years later.

Yes.

If the club has a friend that's a graphic artist or even has something like Corel and Photoshop that's probably the best way.

Possibly, but I know when I have to do freebies then it's going to be an adaptation of something out of my archives. Or I'm going to expect a decent contra deal.

Summary: you might have to pay to get a decent logo done. And as someone who occasionally does this stuff, (mostly I'm an illustrator), dealing with committees is camel territory and often best steered clear of.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up OL, I will bring your opinions/thoughts to the attention of the club committee just after we develop new Vision, Mission and Value statements and redevelop our coaching structure for next season. I remember a few years back when we changed to CS for everything and the Dolphin was left off the design and the life members went mental.

99designs.com.au

Simple and easy way to get a logo.

Edited by CEM

Thanks for the heads up OL, I will bring your opinions/thoughts to the attention of the club committee just after we develop new Vision, Mission and Value statements and redevelop our coaching structure for next season. I remember a few years back when we changed to CS for everything and the Dolphin was left off the design and the life members went mental.

No probs, if they ask who I am, you can tell them Im a keyboard captain, a Neville nobody, an opinionated goose, a fake internet identity, a coward hiding behind a keyboard and a massive schlong.

I'd forgotten about life members, good luck with that..... Lol.

No probs, if they ask who I am, you can tell them Im a keyboard captain, a Neville nobody, an opinionated goose, a fake internet identity, a coward hiding behind a keyboard and a massive schlong.

I'd forgotten about life members, good luck with that..... Lol.

Any of them are giving you a boost up....

Hope you're good dude.

edited for spelling!

Edited by Tomsey

Any of them are giving you a boost up....

Hope you're good dude.

edited for spelling!

Lol. Real good, lost a kilo since Port, been for 3 mountain bike rides in the last week, first time in ages.

Off to the socceroos tonight with the boy.

Hope you're good too.

• Like 1

For those with young ones, that reminds me of an off-colour Lumpy Space Princess

Out of curiosity, went to check the other Home Nations. Wales, England and GB use the same logo with different colours, Scotland does their own thing.

I remember when after weeks of hype and build up, we had to attend the party for Larry's new logo, we couldn't see the difference until someone pointed out the little gap in the 'A'. That was money well spent LOL.

Perhaps before bashing others logos we should work on our own back yard. The trannies logo could do with an update...

• Like 1