trek52

Wahoo Kickr

Haven't seen a topic about one yet but I did stage 7 of this trainer road thing today on one. Wow bloody awesome, the way it adjusted power was unreal I just had to pedal. No gear changes just load changes and pedal harder.

I am a bit of an ergo bandit and have a proper ergo built with a special wheel that I prob do 60% of my training on and I have ridden numerous others ober the years and cannot recommend these kickr things enough.

Great tool, just don't think and just ride.

John on IMTalk seems pretty wrapped with them.

I love my Kickr. My only gripe is that it is so heavy to move around the house. I need an extra room or to get rid of the son so I can have my own girl cave for training.

Seems like the boy will be looking for a rental?

• Like 1

Is it noisy?

What app were u using?

Quiet as, ratty. Even going at full bore it is heaps quieter than my old Elite fluid trainer.

I use PerfPro. Had another go with TrainerRoad last week and I didn't feel it controlled the Kickr nearly as well as PP. Plus no inbuilt analytical, just a couple of graphs, unless in really missed something.

Just Googled.. wow does it work with TrainerRoad?

Not cheap but probably would be better value for me than buying a bunky road bike

Had about 10 rides on my one and loving it. Have a computrainer too but think the Kickr is better.

• Like 1

Had about 10 rides on my one and loving it. Have a computrainer too but think the Kickr is better.

So Niseki, as you already own the Computrainer, did you buy the Kickr as well?

I'm not about to start commenting on the Kickr as I've heard almost entirely good comment, but does the better of the Kickr justify a purchase over the Computrainer.

I'm only asking as I've got a C'trainer, and I agree, the calibration can be inconvenient, but easily managed, tyre wear is almost non-existant and yes, the Racemate software is straight out of the 1980s but Perfpro has replaced Racemate software in my usage. So how much better is Kickr?

So it sounds like I need to get one of these kickrs. who wants to buy my Lemond trainer off me

I love the Kickr. I haven't used any other trainer so can't compare, but based on things other people say about trainer, noisy and so on, it is sensational.

Totally agree with Tortise about it being heavy, and I too would love a girl cave. I've got no kids to kick out though, just a tiny house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only downside for us early adapters is that there is no good databases of courses with video. Computrainer still has the edge here until wahoo systematises the random mish mash of stuff that people just happen to post.

I just used it on trainerroad, found it picked up the watt changes really well and was quiet as.

I am thinking of pulling the massive heavy wheel out of my ergo and seeing if I can bolt this up to it, best of both worlds then.

The only downside for us early adapters is that there is no good databases of courses with video. Computrainer still has the edge here until wahoo systematises the random mish mash of stuff that people just happen to post.

How long until you reckon this happens Tortoise?

I'm a massive fan of the thinking behind the Kickr and can see that even by this time next year there could be a zillion courses with video available?

Tortise,

yesterday I loaded up the Real Course Video ( RCV)of Kona. This is quite ok, but not signficantly different from just riding the course as a non video effort. Computrainer has this and many other courses within the basic program.The RCVs are quite clunky and feels very 1980s, as does most of the Racemate software, and there isn't a huge data base of them either. Less than a dozen I believe and at about $90 each they are to expensive for what you get. This will however become my wet weather long ride with Sufferfests & other PerfPro interval sets for the weekday shorter efforts.

Did you like it TGL??

Want me to see if I can get the guys at FE to give us one to test and pass it around??

Would love one but can't justify $1400 to ride indoors.

I agree but its cheaper than a $5000 computer trainer.

FYI I won't be buying one. Too much $$$ for me

I agree but its cheaper than a $5000 computer trainer.

FYI I won't be buying one. Too much $$$ for me

what sort of system are you loking at for $5000?

what sort of system are you loking at for $5000?

I'm not looking at them.

CompuTrainer w/Puck use your Promo Code and save $$$ Double%20Trainer%20with%20Screens%20redu $5,100.00

How long until you reckon this happens Tortoise?

I'm a massive fan of the thinking behind the Kickr and can see that even by this time next year there could be a zillion courses with video available?

Either someone needs to do a deal to purchase the rights to existing products, say, computrainer and convert to Kickr-ready format. Or PerfPro format.

OR develop a process for capturing from Google Earth, should be easy as the KML already does a profile

OR systematise the stud sitting on Kinomap and get some race courses added. ATM it's just totally random peoples' favourites with totally random quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not a Dc Rainmaker, and he has written extensively on the comparison. I got the Kickr as my Computrainer was in a different location to where I am staying. The watts are more reliable on the Kickr I think. Yes and with Trainer Road it is hard to beat, synchs up easier too wireless and fast. CT always causing problems with the USB not reading so often just used in erg mode to save time.

Did you like it TGL??

Want me to see if I can get the guys at FE to give us one to test and pass it around??

That would be a yes.

• Like 1

I'm not looking at them.

CompuTrainer w/Puck use your Promo Code and save $$$ Double%20Trainer%20with%20Screens%20redu $5,100.00

that's for the two bike set up, a one bike set up is a lettle less painful, but still a bit more than the $1400 of the Kickr.

CompuTrainer LAB use your Promo Code to save $$$

Home_pic1.jpg

$2,450.00

Mrs Avago got the Computrainer for me in 2002, and it's still going like a train, unlike me, and I think it'll ast me at this rate.

If I was buying one today, then the Kickr'd be the one I'd get, and hope the hardware held out.

Had my KICKR for 12 months now (Had one of the first in Aus)

Damn heavy, as others have said, if you do have somewhere you can keep bit setup, I haven't seen anything better.

Did both ToS and 8DC on it, and managed to train over last winter as well.

I like it.

trek - if you do a search, you will find a few forum threads about them.

Background: I love a good indoor session. I've returned three Fluid2 trainers because they blow seals after a while, went to the KK Road Machine for a few years, then to the LeMond Revolution, then the Kickr.... then...

Kickr - Had one for 12 months now. Do I like it? Maybe. Do I use it all the time indoors? Nope. Was it worth the $1000+? 12 months on, still no. This may change.

My thoughts - A long read....

The way is clamps watts is somewhat frustrating. If you bang it on 350W then the SRM or Quarq jumps from 360, 340, 330, 375, 335, 355. The averaging is ballpark 350. If you read the power from the Kickr itself it is bang on 350, as the "power" it reports is a nice smooth line based on speed. This continual over/under is apparent after using a LeMond Revolution for a while, where the effort is as smooth as butter. You could say the Kickr replicates real-world conditions where the power isn't ever smooth.... I don't think this is by design though.
Learning how to ride/use the Kickr flywheel inertia is also interesting. 300W in the 39/25 is an absolute slogfest. 300W in the 53/11 with the flywheel smoking along is like riding downhill with a tailwind. This could be used to replicate hills through to track pursuit efforts. If you're looking to replicate specific efforts you'll need to take this into account. For TT work I find the 53/14-15 (or thereabouts) is as close to real-world feel as it gets.
The software: So much potential here. So much frustration. The official app is still my go-to. I've spent hours making sessions and replicating courses in iMobileIntervals, only to have it stuff up as soon as I hit 'go'. When iMI works and you can hit the target power, it is great. Having an off day and need to drop the effort a few %? Then quick, hit a few buttons, hit back, hit next, crash the app, lock your iPhone, throw it at a wall... oh wait... hello 999W+ and the Kickr grinds to a halt.
I usually then revert to the official app, set the exact Watts, and manually change it for each interval. $1000+ super trainer and I'm having to operate it manually via wireless via iPhone... which is going flat (quick, get the charger!)... argh...

As I've mentioned, if you can't hit your target numbers, you'll grind to a halt and have to adjust the workout. You can do this on the fly with a -+ slider, still... I just want a work-out, I'm not flying a Boeing 747.

On the LeMond if your Watts drop, it is up to you to either lift them higher or continue with what you're able to do for that session (my preference).
I haven't played a lot with 'level' or 'resistance' mode. Resistance steps in %5 felt a little too big. Maybe I have to play with gearing to get the inertia/cadence right then +- these modes? I'm usually too frustrated by about now and just want to get stuck into x intervals at y Watts... yet here I am with an iPhone in hand rather than my TT lever. argh!
Doing a 1hr session with the Mrs the other day.... I was on the LeMond, she was on the Kickr. We made the session up on the fly... which meant she was holding the iPhone more than the TT bars.
Don't get me started on having to adjust the gear indexing because the Kickr is a few mm different to my wheels.....

I want to love the Kickr. Everyone I know who has one, or who sells them, say it is awesome. I wonder if there is some kind of buyer/investor bias happening here. Spending that much money must mean it is good, right?

I'm back on the LeMond 95% of the time, and as my warm-up ergo for racing. This isn't an endorsement for LeMond either! Their Power Pilot unit has to be the worst thing ever invented.

Anyhows - This really has turned into a rant. Apologies for that. Happy for people to chime in with what I may have missed or overlooked when playing around with the Kickr.

• Like 3

those are the types of reviews I like to read - sounds just like the same stuff that would send me bonkers

gplama - A few questions.

Have you tried using PerfPro or TrainerRoad for your KICKR, or do you not have a computer setup near your trainer space?

(I don't have an iDevice, so I cannot comment on the apps that you are using)

for the resistance setting, in TR, you get 1% changes, not 5% changes, so you can be more precise if you like, and in that mode it is afaik about the same as a lemond (just quieter)

And I wouldn't want to take it for warm up purposes pre-race I think a KK, or a set of rollers would be a better option.

\

The cassette spacing does seem to be an issue for some people, but as I don't really ride the TT bike outside, other than racing, (and I have 2 races from April -> Novemeber this year) for me it really is set and forget.

• Like 1

gplama - A few questions.

Have you tried using PerfPro or TrainerRoad for your KICKR, or do you not have a computer setup near your trainer space?

Yep on the computer in front of the trainer. Usually set on YouTube playlists or https://www.youtube.com/disco with pumping tunes.

1% increments sounds perfect for efforts at the top of my range.. but I'm reluctant to pay extra to make my $ Kickr work the way I'd like it to. I'll spend a few once off $ on apps, per year/month doesn't sit well with me.

For a positive on the Kicker.... It is pretty neat for sweet-spot work, eg 2x20mins when you just need to get them done without thinking too hard.

Kickr + trainerroad. Love it. I do alot of my training indoors, and find this much more enjoyable on the kickr than on a normal trainer. Pick a program, put a movie on, and before you know it, 4 hours has passed. Their customer service is great too. I had a problem with my first unit - it was making a strange noise. I sent them a video of it, and the recreated the problem in their lab. They said it was fixable, but not really by me at home. So they sent me a brand new unit.

PerfPro is US$99.95 for the Home Version that'll caer for up to 3 riders.

I also had no interest in signing on the the TR monthly subscription model, not that the product isn't any good, it was just the payment structure.

gplama, great review and it seems that you were frustrated by a number of small items that in the end become deal breakers.

( I test drove a Ford Focus, loved the car, I wanted to buy the car... then I hit my head on the door jamb getting in, then again getting out.... it really was a small nusiance, but it was the deal breaker..... I bought something else )

Edited by AVAGO

The only little thing I don't like is the location of the power plug and no little light so you know it's hooked up and ready to go.

It takes me about three minutes to program up a session into PerfPro using %FTP and target cadence. Repeat intervals are a doddle. If I'm struggling, it's one button push on the laptop to ease off by 5%.

• Like 1

Did you like it TGL??

Yeah, thanks for the lend Roxii!!! I think that that some of the other kids in the class might want a turn as well (I can see that Nealo has his hand up already!!!).

How's the Lemond Revolution going? Still got planes flying overhead with pilots yelling out the window for you to keep the noise down?

• Like 1

Seriously guys 1200 on a trainer and no doubt a 5k bike but $10 a month for TR ???

I had a good look at TR and chose PerfPro because is has the features I want. And the stability of access and security of data of having it living locally rather than being reliant on the interweb.

Seriously guys 1200 on a trainer and no doubt a 5k bike but $10 a month for TR ???

Seriously, yep. I don't want to 'buy' another monthly bill to pay. How does a $1200 trainer not come with this kind of functionality and more out of the box?

It'll also shit me to no end if I don't use it during that month. :)

• Like 1

why pay $10 per month when you can pay $100 once off.

Trainer was the wrong side of $2k, current bike was less than the trainer.

But the next bike will certainly be more.

Background: I love a good indoor session. I've returned three Fluid2 trainers because they blow seals after a while, went to the KK Road Machine for a few years, then to the LeMond Revolution, then the Kickr.... then...

Kickr - Had one for 12 months now. Do I like it? Maybe. Do I use it all the time indoors? Nope. Was it worth the $1000+? 12 months on, still no. This may change.

My thoughts - A long read....

The way is clamps watts is somewhat frustrating. If you bang it on 350W then the SRM or Quarq jumps from 360, 340, 330, 375, 335, 355. The averaging is ballpark 350. If you read the power from the Kickr itself it is bang on 350, as the "power" it reports is a nice smooth line based on speed. This continual over/under is apparent after using a LeMond Revolution for a while, where the effort is as smooth as butter. You could say the Kickr replicates real-world conditions where the power isn't ever smooth.... I don't think this is by design though.

Learning how to ride/use the Kickr flywheel inertia is also interesting. 300W in the 39/25 is an absolute slogfest. 300W in the 53/11 with the flywheel smoking along is like riding downhill with a tailwind. This could be used to replicate hills through to track pursuit efforts. If you're looking to replicate specific efforts you'll need to take this into account. For TT work I find the 53/14-15 (or thereabouts) is as close to real-world feel as it gets.

The software: So much potential here. So much frustration. The official app is still my go-to. I've spent hours making sessions and replicating courses in iMobileIntervals, only to have it stuff up as soon as I hit 'go'. When iMI works and you can hit the target power, it is great. Having an off day and need to drop the effort a few %? Then quick, hit a few buttons, hit back, hit next, crash the app, lock your iPhone, throw it at a wall... oh wait... hello 999W+ and the Kickr grinds to a halt.

I usually then revert to the official app, set the exact Watts, and manually change it for each interval. $1000+ super trainer and I'm having to operate it manually via wireless via iPhone... which is going flat (quick, get the charger!)... argh...

As I've mentioned, if you can't hit your target numbers, you'll grind to a halt and have to adjust the workout. You can do this on the fly with a -+ slider, still... I just want a work-out, I'm not flying a Boeing 747.

On the LeMond if your Watts drop, it is up to you to either lift them higher or continue with what you're able to do for that session (my preference).

I haven't played a lot with 'level' or 'resistance' mode. Resistance steps in %5 felt a little too big. Maybe I have to play with gearing to get the inertia/cadence right then +- these modes? I'm usually too frustrated by about now and just want to get stuck into x intervals at y Watts... yet here I am with an iPhone in hand rather than my TT lever. argh!

Doing a 1hr session with the Mrs the other day.... I was on the LeMond, she was on the Kickr. We made the session up on the fly... which meant she was holding the iPhone more than the TT bars.

Don't get me started on having to adjust the gear indexing because the Kickr is a few mm different to my wheels.....

I want to love the Kickr. Everyone I know who has one, or who sells them, say it is awesome. I wonder if there is some kind of buyer/investor bias happening here. Spending that much money must mean it is good, right?

I'm back on the LeMond 95% of the time, and as my warm-up ergo for racing. This isn't an endorsement for LeMond either! Their Power Pilot unit has to be the worst thing ever invented.

Anyhows - This really has turned into a rant. Apologies for that. Happy for people to chime in with what I may have missed or overlooked when playing around with the Kickr.

Sounds like you want to accept my generous offer of $700 and get tird of that crappy kickr then? ;-)

I reckon I'll get the Perfpro as well as the TrainerRoad. One off $99? Got to be worth it.

I reckon I'll get the Perfpro as well as the TrainerRoad. One off $99? Got to be worth it.

Its reporting is very good. I like having a one-stop-shop and not having to export to something like Golden Cheetah. A good range of workouts are provided including course profiles. And it's very easy to make up your own session. Definitely worth it.

Perfpro is excellent. My argument is not Tr v perfpro it is the fact you have spent 1200 + on a trainer and won't pay anymore to make proper use out of it.

Anyway I want one, they are expensive though I can't get one cheap anywhere.

I'm not a Dc Rainmaker, and he has written extensively on the comparison. I got the Kickr as my Computrainer was in a different location to where I am staying. The watts are more reliable on the Kickr I think. Yes and with Trainer Road it is hard to beat, synchs up easier too wireless and fast. CT always causing problems with the USB not reading so often just used in erg mode to save time.

Sounds good. . Now how to hide $1400 purchase from the boss

Easy, just tell her is for a set of wheels! That way it won't be anything out of the ordinary :)

I nearly got one last year but the comment about cassette spacing actually was a deal breaker for me. We have three bikes that get used on the trainer I cannot stuff around tuning gears every time I ride. Is there a solution for this issue?

Bit of a pain to swap between the wife's 650 and my 700 just screwing a bolt in and out, if only I could remember to do it before I mount the other bike......... but never had an issue with the cassette spacing. Soultion? Maybe HTFU and throw out your 12-28s and ride only 11-23s or 11-25s = )

Its reporting is very good. I like having a one-stop-shop and not having to export to something like Golden Cheetah. A good range of workouts are provided including course profiles. And it's very easy to make up your own session. Definitely worth it.

Not much for exporting or analyzing figures, just as much variety as possible for indoor training can only be a good thing, especially if you spend 4 months a year unable to ride outside.

And, of course, it is an excuse to spend more money.

We have 4 KICKRs in the garage. We hold group sessions 4-5 times a week and have dozens of different bikes getting thrown on them - spacing issues are rare. My wife permanently has her old 9 speed sitting on a KICKR and she just finds the gear that rolls smoothly and leaves it in that gear - changing resistance through the Wahoo app, TR or Perfpro.

Bit of a non-issue I think.

I don't know if it is spacing or what on mine but since I changed the 10spd cassette to 9spd to suit my old roadie I find it makes an odd grinding noise in the 3 or 4 small gears on the back. I try to avoid those as much as possible but can't always do so. I am curious as to whether this is the spacing issue everyone talks about and I need to adjust the gears before using the bike on the trainer. I also wonder if I am damaging anything by using those gears. I have no idea though. It was fine when I had the 10spd cassette on and using the TT bike, but I don't want to be using that bike on it for a variety of reasons.

The 9spd cassette is 12-27 in case anyone has any thoughts or bright ideas they might be able to share. It's the same as the cassette on the wheel which doesn't make grinding noises. I also tried a different cassette, maybe 11-28 (I think) which did the same.