Sign in to follow this  
FatPom

Kona spots at HIMs?

I saw this linked on ST and can't remember if the WTC takeover of another Challenge race was mentioned here. But what I find surprising is that 30 spots for Kona are up for grabs. At a time when there are more and more 'just add water' IMs springing up, surely the days of qualifying at a Half should be numbered?

• Like 1

But it will continue, and increase I reckon.

Wouldn't be surprised if 70.3 Ballarat will get some kona slots thrown at it, otherwise I doubt they'll get 500 entries

Bit like Mandurah 70.3 I guess.

i completely disagree- I think it makes a lot of sense. If they want the best athletes in Kona putting in their best performances then it makes sense to let people only have to peak for one IM a year. This is particularly so as you get into the older age groups.

As I've said before there is a high correlation between guys in the top 5 at 70.3's to those that finish high in IM's. Probably moreso than putting extra spots down the pecking order at an IM race. In nearly all those 70.3's where you can get a Kona spot you need to finish 1 or 2. Thats considerably more difficult than 15th+ rolldowns at an IM

Regardless of what I think this is a business for them and they will keep moving the spots where they want entries to go. They couldnt give a toss what any of us think is right- but on this one I agree with them

Edited by Jimmy C
  • Like 1

They have already anounced the split start in hawaii. Wouldn't this be making it easier to increase the numbers?

• Like 1

They have already anounced the split start in hawaii. Wouldn't this be making it easier to increase the numbers?

I've seen an interview with mr messeck that says numbers are pretty much capped at what they are now

I reckon if they went to a rolling start ( wich I highly doubt ) they could add another 500 or so

In that same interview he spoke about the kona slots in a half and basically said it was to promote a new race and would only happen for the first one to two years at most

Cheers

Ip

Auckland have had their's scrapped. Hawaii, Mandurah and St.Croix still have them. FP, has another race got some?

As JimmyC pointed out, generally those who qualify at a 1/2 (winning a/g or 2nd) will qualify at an IM without too much issues.

I think the word on the street is an increase in total Kona starters (500+) to meet slot allocations for new races. As per RBR, re-jig of start - rolling our waves perhaps

I've seen an interview with mr messeck that says numbers are pretty much capped at what they are now

I reckon if they went to a rolling start ( wich I highly doubt ) they could add another 500 or so

In that same interview he spoke about the kona slots in a half and basically said it was to promote a new race and would only happen for the first one to two years at most

Cheers

Ip

Interesting as I've heard that the 5 yr plan is to have 3000 start kona. They have the room so they say.

I wonder how long it is until they move it to the hotel carpark and have 4000 starters.

Interesting as I've heard that the 5 yr plan is to have 3000 start kona. They have the room so they say.

I wonder how long it is until they move it to the hotel carpark and have 4000 starters.

Can you imagine the chaos in race week and on race day itself? Hard enough getting down onto the beach - I guess they could move it to the beach on the other side of the pier as a rolling start but that the spectacle would be significantly worsened if that was the case.

Hawaii, Mandurah and St.Croix still have them. FP, has another race got some?

are you sure mandurah still has them?

site says this "Both Kona and Mont-Tremblant qualifying spots are up for grabs in spectacular Mandjar Bay." and this World Championship Qualifying Race

Offering 30 age-group qualifying spots to the 2015 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship up for grabs, this is one event to lock in your race calendar!"

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/asiapac/ironman-70.3/mandurah.aspx#ixzz31IKZ80Te

i completely disagree- I think it makes a lot of sense. If they want the best athletes in Kona putting in their best performances then it makes sense to let people only have to peak for one IM a year. This is particularly so as you get into the older age groups.

As I've said before there is a high correlation between guys in the top 5 at 70.3's to those that finish high in IM's. Probably moreso than putting extra spots down the pecking order at an IM race. In nearly all those 70.3's where you can get a Kona spot you need to finish 1 or 2. Thats considerably more difficult than 15th+ rolldowns at an IM

Regardless of what I think this is a business for them and they will keep moving the spots where they want entries to go. They couldnt give a toss what any of us think is right- but on this one I agree with them

I know they couldn't give a toss what I think but I'm not talking to them, I'm talking to you guys.

I don't disagree on the peaking, but using that logic, why don't the get rid of qualifying at IMs for Kona, shift all the spots to HIMs then have a dual option for 70.3 WC, or shift those sports to 5150 so that folks are only peaking for 70.3 once?

Can you qualify for Boston Marathon at any HMs? (Genuine question)

The race I was talking about is here.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/kraichgau.aspx#axzz31Fg6v9V6

I don't think it has much to do with peaking personally. I think it has more to do with putting a sweetener in on another race that WTC haven't developed but bought up in order to cement some take up targets.

Edited by FatPom

are you sure mandurah still has them?

site says this "Both Kona and Mont-Tremblant qualifying spots are up for grabs in spectacular Mandjar Bay." and this World Championship Qualifying Race

Offering 30 age-group qualifying spots to the 2015 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship up for grabs, this is one event to lock in your race calendar!"

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/asiapac/ironman-70.3/mandurah.aspx#ixzz31IKZ80Te

Well there you go, right you are it appears. I remember when Auckland had them scrapped recently I looked at the Mandurah website to see if they had them still and they did...and did for a while. The message on the website has no reference to Kona now so I guess not. Looks they went to that German 70.3 that FP pointed out in his above post.

I don't think it has much to do with peaking personally. I think it has more to do with putting a sweetener in on another race that WTC haven't developed but bought up in order to cement some take up targets.

Agreed FP

I think that is fairly obvious , even the interview with the CEO I watch he pretty much said that was the case

Cheers

Ip

I don't disagree with the argument that it is commercial decisions being behind the 70.3 events offering slots to Kona.

However, I agree with Jimmy C in that a lot of age groupers who get to Kona are cooked on the start line from trying to juggle work/family/training for 9-10 months of the year, rather than the 3-4 leading into October.

Myself, and a few others from my training group, made the conscious decision 10 months ago to target Honu as a qualifier, and then put the majority of the training effort into being ready for Kona in October.

In short, we have prepared well for a half in a few weeks time, taking advantage of the current qualifying requirements. If all goes well, will them amp it up into the main event in October without being fatigued by qualifying via a full distance race.

Personally, I have been to Kona 3 times (passed on 3 others), and have never done myself justice. Hopefully a different approach this year will yield different results.

Additionally would like to add that it is not looking for an "easy" option, rather an "alternate" approach.

With 18-20 full IM and more than 50 half distance events under my belt, I don't feel as though I am taking any shortcuts.

WTC may have commercial gain as it's primary motivator, but not all athletes see themselves as unworthy of a start in the full by qualifying through a half.

Kraichgau (Germany) 70.3 has 30 Kona spots this year now. It was previously a Challenge race