Australian Quadrathlon Championships

3km Swim, 20km Run, 80km Bike, 26km Paddle.

(Murray Quad - Yarrawonga to Tocumwal)

Is anyone else silly enough to be doing this event, or am I the only one???

Just wondering what the course is like...

Is the swim likely to be over 14 degrees?

Is the run course likely to be muddy?

Is the bike road surface good?

Is there a rescue squad in that area?

Not that it really matters, I'll be flat out even getting to the start line!

Looks good but the swim leg is up river supposedly.

That's not such a good thing for go easy :-)

Cheers

Ip

That sounds awesome. When is it on.

This coming Saturday.

The swim is in the Lake, as far as I can work out from the maps.

I thought this event would be right up your alley IP.

Not that far from your place either, you're almost a local!

Yep

Not sure about the paddle bit though

Im keen to do abit of paddling

Cheers

Ip

Ps what's the date

This weekend, Saturday 10th May.

Wasn't sure if I was doing it myself. I entered a little while ago but hurt my Calf badly about 3 weeks ago. Have only run once since then and it's still really tight. Am just hoping it will be ok.

Have also only had one decent ride in the past 18 months (about 45k's), but that's not likely to be a big problem except that I'll get a bit of a sore bum in the event.

Was planning on doing a bit more riding, but it seemed to tighten my calves up too much and I didn't want to aggravate the injury.

Have also only had 4 paddles in the last couple of years, but once again I should be ok to go the distance - just not real fast.

Swimming is usually my worst leg by a long shot, this weekend it should be my best!

Have also only had one decent ride in the past 18 months (about 45k's), but that's not likely to be a big problem except that I'll get a bit of a sore bum in the event.

Was planning on doing a bit more riding, but it seemed to tighten my calves up too much and I didn't want to aggravate the injury.

Have also only had 4 paddles in the last couple of years, but once again I should be ok to go the distance - just not real fast.

Swimming is usually my worst leg by a long shot, this weekend it should be my best!

So have you done anything?????

I think this will hurt abit GE :-)

Maybe nowone else will show up !!!

Good luck

Cheers

Ip

No doubt it will hurt a bit but I'm not out to win it IP. There's some really quick multisport guys out there, and there's definitely good numbers. Including teams I think there will be 300 or so there. Teams can be up to 8 people so some of them will be pretty slick. I'll just be happy to finish it.

I'm also going to be riding my $300 bike and paddling a heavy old $300 Kayak. I'm out to enjoy this one.

Training wise, I've done a bit of swimming - I'm still slow but should make the distance.

Running legs will be ok if the calf holds up. Bike & Paddle... how hard can it be :scared:.

No doubt it will hurt a bit but I'm not out to win it IP. There's some really quick multisport guys out there, and there's definitely good numbers. Including teams I think there will be 300 or so there. Teams can be up to 8 people so some of them will be pretty slick. I'll just be happy to finish it.

I'm also going to be riding my $300 bike and paddling a heavy old $300 Kayak. I'm out to enjoy this one.

Training wise, I've done a bit of swimming - I'm still slow but should make the distance.

Running legs will be ok if the calf holds up. Bike & Paddle... how hard can it be :scared:.

Please give us a blow by blow description in a race report. Live video feed would be priceless... I'd love to hear your thoughts after 5 or so hours... I think there'd be a few F bombs :) Is the paddle on the Murray?

There's some really quick multisport guys out there, .

Your not wrong there

There are some super fast guys out there that do these thing as tris/ironman are too soft and boring

Cheers

Ip

I saw it and went "hell yeah" but had already signed up for Byron Bay on the same day. Hopefully next year. However I am doing the hydrothon at Greenmount the following week and have to say that I am more than a wee bit excited.

Yes the paddle is from Cobram down to Tocumwal, but apparently there's not much flow.

Looks like I spoke too soon. After not hearing from them for ages I got an email today saying that due to extremely low water levels in the Murray they have had to amend the course. We will now be doing laps up & down the river at Cobram. That's bad news for me in a heavy, slow boat, but it is, what it is!

I saw it and went "hell yeah" but had already signed up for Byron Bay on the same day. Hopefully next year.

I'm going to be treating this year as a reconnaissance mission so I'll let you know how it goes, and might see you here next year.

Good luck with the Hydrothon.

• Like 1

I'm racing but as a mixed veteran team. I've got a 1.8km swim, 10.5km run, 32 km bike and the full paddle.

Pretty minimal biking and swimming lately but running and paddling will be fine. I'll be wearing HTC gear.

I'm racing but as a mixed veteran team. I've got a 1.8km swim, 10.5km run, 32 km bike and the full paddle.

Pretty minimal biking and swimming lately but running and paddling will be fine. I'll be wearing HTC gear.

Excellent, good to see someone else from here having a go. Sounds like you will be doing over half the event yourself so will at least get to experience it all - good option. I take it that it's a team of two. I didn't even know they had a Vet's Category, I thought it was just Outright & Teams.

Not sure what I'll be wearing yet, depends on the weather. Possibly 'Racing for Rachel' gear similar to my profile picture. And I'll be the guy with a limp who looks like he has no idea what he's doing. Wife will be the one shaking her head and yelling supportive comments like 'You Idiot'. I'll be racing with an 'Orca Apex2 Wetsuit', 'Cube' Tri Bike & old TK1 with a light blue top with an Aussie flag sticker on it. Now you'll know who to avoid!

I doubt they'll break down the team category beyond team. Should be a fun event.

I'll be paddling a white Rebel 46 K1 with INCC on it and riding a black Trek TT with Zipp 808s.

Navigating this ride will be a challenge not knowing the area but I've loaded the bike course into my Garmin so hopefully that helps.

Good luck.

That's some fast gear there Evil. You're obviously a decent paddler.

Where are you staying at Yarrawonga?

At Burkes hotel but heading straight home afterwards.

I'm handy with a paddle after paddling a wave ski for 17 years, stopped paddling 14 years ago but resumed last year. I have pretty poor technique but enjoy the sport enough to be on the board of Canoeing Vic as Director of Marketing. New role and haven't done much yet.

I think we are at Burkes Hotel as well on the Friday night. Haven't booked Saturday yet as it will probably depend if I get through the run as to whether we stay or not.

Figured you had to be confident in a boat or you wouldn't be paddling a K1. I was going to borrow a K1 off a mate, but after not paddling for so long I figured that I'd rather be slower (much slower) and just enjoy it.

You've just given Canoeing Vic a plug so I guess you're doing a good job!

I've been a triathlete for 16 years and see paddling as a great extension and new challenge. If I lived in Sydney I probably wouldn't ride and just paddle. Far safer.

I'll be in a blue Subaru Outback with my harem.

I've been a triathlete for 16 years and see paddling as a great extension and new challenge. If I lived in Sydney I probably wouldn't ride and just paddle. Far safer.

I'll be in a blue Subaru Outback with my harem.

There are some good multisport events in Vic... Recently there were 2 at Lake Eildon. Did you ever do the Mars challenge? That was a cool race!

Paddling is great fun. When you can paddle a k1 with good technique, and your out on a calm morning, there is nohing better!

Edited by Kamahl

I did the paddle leg in the Lake Eilden Challenge.

Good event but due to rain the bike leg was cancelled.

Nice to meat Go Easy.

Bike leg today was cancelled, not Eilden.

I'm looking forward to doing few longer paddling sessions, 2 hrs is a long paddle.

I saw it and went "hell yeah" but had already signed up for Byron Bay on the same day. Hopefully next year. However I am doing the hydrothon at Greenmount the following week and have to say that I am more than a wee bit excited.

As Evil has already said they cancelled the bike leg due to safety concerns. So I guess I also did a Hydrothon!

Great to meet you Evil. It's nice to put another face to a name. Nice paddling job too mate - for those that are interested Evil absolutely smashed me in the boat leg!

I really enjoyed the event though - good fun!

• Like 1

I'm a few years younger though. Last few km were tough. Loved the run. May be back next year or Marysville to Melb solo

I'm a few years younger though...

He flogs me in the race, and then has a go at me about my age... :bash::surrender:.

The ultimate sledge... nicely played :clapping::lol::clapping:

He flogs me in the race, and then has a go at me about my age... :bash::surrender:.

The ultimate sledge... nicely played :clapping::lol::clapping:

Lol

Cheers

Ip

Nope, I'm not 45... I'm the wrong (or possibly the right, but the 'higher' side anyways) of 50.

Maybe it's my longer legs and arms .

Ok, so far you've now picked me for being slow, old, and short...

What else you got? :smartarse:.

Nope, I'm not 45... I'm the wrong (or possibly the right, but the 'higher' side anyways) of 50.

Ok, so far you've now picked me for being slow, old, and short...

What else you got? :smartarse:.

I think you are on the right side of 50 ie not at all old ! And I don't remember you being slow.

But you are a bit vertically challenged.. ;)

Are you bald....? :)

Great, just when I thought it couldn't get any worse...

Yes, I am also starting to become 'follicly challenged'... who invited you to the party Kamahl :rolleyes1:.

But you are a bit vertically challenged.. ;)

But I have still got more hair than Mjainoz. Perhaps when I get to his age I won't :smartarse:.

(Notice the clever deflection there :smile1:).

Yes, I am also starting to become 'follicly challenged'... who invited you to the party Kamahl :rolleyes1:.

:smile1:).

People are so unkind!

Please tell us you are hung like a donkey..... :)

But I have still got more hair than Mjainoz. Perhaps when I get to his age I won't :smartarse:.

(Notice the clever deflection there :smile1:).

I think I liked you more when you were retired.

Anyhow ... No hair here. Just slows you down ;)

• Like 1

Please tell us you are hung like a donkey..... :)

Yep, that must be it... And I'm filthy rich... And I travel the world with my harem doing triathlon events... :shocking:.

Close, but not quite! I am however travelling around Margaret River with my lovely wife!

Edited by Go Easy