Wardy

Appeal for information in case of hit and run cyclist death

He as near as did get off, while still being found guilty of something.

https://m.thechronicle.com.au/news/guilty-truck-driver-convicted-for-killing-cyclist/3331269/

Jury believed him that he thought he hit a kangaroo and not a cyclist, I guess.

Edited by goughy
  • Sad 2

A truckie pleaded guilty yesterday in sydney for running a red light and killing a pedestrian. Should be out in 18 mths...

5 hours ago, Blacky said:

With the lawyer presenting this as the argument that got him off, I hope the 73 year old is never allowed to drive again.

Rather, Mr Vandongen raised the possibility Mr Osman had not been driving the car at all at the time of the crash, or, if he had been, had been suffering from a medical condition.

"He had no idea he'd been involved in an accident," the lawyer said.

"[Mr Osman] has no memory of being involved".

So what will happen to this @#$% :mad2:

https://www.armidaleexpress.com.au/story/5529764/police-allege-man-was-driving-in-a-menacing-manner-before-crash/

I hate driving that road.  Despite the fact that the traffic volume on a Sunday would be 1 car every 5 mins tops, there are more cyclist-hating @#$%s per km on that road than on all our other local roads combined. Shame because there is a really good TT loop out there.

I’ve got hold of an ocean ski to play with while I consider my options with my hip. 

Im very new and still swimming a lot :lol: but after nearly 30 years of being harassed by car drivers this morning being “buzzed” by a dolphin was a very pleasant change. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, roxii said:

I’ve got hold of an ocean ski to play with while I consider my options with my hip. 

Im very new and still swimming a lot :lol: but after nearly 30 years of being harassed by car drivers this morning being “buzzed” by a dolphin was a very pleasant change. 

Wait until you get buzzed by a great white

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, roxii said:

You should give the ski away as well and become a Ocean Hunter like me 😂😂😂😂

Think I’m about to sell my bike hasn’t been used for 19 months 

its over rated😂

A woman in my triathlon club was hit by a ute at Chelsea  the day before yesterday.  She was in an induced coma in the Alfred but has now passed away.

The ute was found nearby but the driver was found at Broadmeadows (on the other side of Melbourne).  28 year old guy.

How can someone not even stop and call an ambulance?  

RIP Michelle 😥

• Sad 5

Sorry to hear too H.

It's quite amazing how many hit and runs there are in general.  

Sadly in Victoria the judge won’t even give the guy 3 years.  

Such a loss for the family and friends.  

I did see the got the guy very fast. 

Rather, Mr Vandongen raised the possibility Mr Osman had not been driving the car at all at the time of the crash, or, if he had been, had been suffering from a medical condition.

"He had no idea he'd been involved in an accident," the lawyer said.

"[Mr Osman] has no memory of being involved".

One has to wonder how many times that driver has used that excuse - he might be a serial accident causer with a really bad memory (or a liar, or both). If suffering from a "medical condition" I'd suggest a total ban from driving in the interests of community safety plus additional penalties if it had been previously diagnosed and he drove anyway.

I just finished having my MTB repaired after a lady speared my son at a T junction (she was on the terminating road, with a stop sign) - luckily he was just shaken and bruised with a slight wrist sprain (as far as we know). She now says to get our insurance to contact her insurance. ( Personal resolution I'd pass on to all - NEVER let a driver leave the scene without a police report having been filed, they all tend to forget how sorry they were at the time.)

Edited by trifun
splk

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Sadly in Victoria the judge won’t even give the guy 3 years.  

Such a loss for the family and friends.  

I did see the got the guy very fast. 

They did get him quickly, hopefully in time to detect any illicit substances in his system.

Dangerous driving causing death PLUS failing to stop and render assistance, I hope you're wrong about the penalty (but probably not)

22 hours ago, -H- said:

A woman in my triathlon club was hit by a ute at Chelsea  the day before yesterday.  She was in an induced coma in the Alfred but has now passed away.

The ute was found nearby but the driver was found at Broadmeadows (on the other side of Melbourne).  28 year old guy.

How can someone not even stop and call an ambulance?  

RIP Michelle 😥

Very sad. Was wondering about the outcome, and am sorry to hear.

I've recently started riding to work again a couple of times a week, after having a nasty run in with a car door on St Kilda Rd three years ago. I'm almost exclusively bike paths along Nepean now (which presents its own problem), after being buzzed a couple of times by trucks. Things that I have noticed in three years off the bike

1) Motorcycles/Scooters now sit behind you in the bike lanes
2) Way more early traffic (i.e. around.6.15am)
3) Pedestrians walking in front of you looking at their phones.

For all of the recent attempts of bike awareness, there seems to have been improvements in some areas, but declines in others.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

Things that I have noticed in three years off the bike

3) Pedestrians walking in front of you looking at their phones.

I am amazed how people walk on roads looking at phones.

I honestly think people looking at phones on roads are fair game when you are walking the other way now. 

It takes on taxi, 87yr old guy or a bike to not stop and you are dead. Sure they are all supposed to stop but cars run red lights.

I have zero sympathy for people that get hurt due to walking looking at their phone. 

16 minutes ago, Peter said:

I am amazed how people walk on roads looking at phones.

I honestly think people looking at phones on roads are fair game when you are walking the other way now. 

It takes on taxi, 87yr old guy or a bike to not stop and you are dead. Sure they are all supposed to stop but cars run red lights.

I have zero sympathy for people that get hurt due to walking looking at their phone. 

Completely agree. We had a spate of pedestrians on phones getting hit by cars not so long ago and I saw it reported in a lot of places from the angle of 'don't blame the victim'. I'm against 'victim blaming' generally, but at some point people need to take responsibility for their own survival and not be on their phone when they need to be paying attention to their surrounds.

• Thanks 1

My wife and I were out walking Friday Arvo; well, she was on her mobility scooter, walking on the side of the road towards the traffic.  It was only in our little residential area.  The roads are pretty wide for a residential block.  There's one sweeping right hand bend where the cars approaching  have tonnes of time to see us.  Twice cars went around that bend way to fast for a quiet residential area and hugged the left side curb.  The first one only noticed my wife quite late and she was getting ready to drive up the curb off the road, the second one a minute later did the same thing, but saw her a touch earlier!  Just lazy driving, which I have no doubt causes heaps of accidents.  I've almost been cleaned up several times at the end of my street when cars turning right into it completely cut the corner, even though there's not the best sight to see if a cars coming down.

Subjected to a "rolling coal" attack this am, police report made. Told 'em I would be happy to upgrade it to an assault complaint (but you cant do that online, and the station tends to be un-staffed at the weekends)

8 hours ago, trifun said:

Subjected to a "rolling coal" attack this am, police report made. Told 'em I would be happy to upgrade it to an assault complaint (but you cant do that online, and the station tends to be un-staffed at the weekends)

Whats that? 

Maryland has banned the practice of “rolling coal” in which drivers of diesel pickup trucks intentionally spew black exhaust at pedestrians, cyclists and other motorists.

Yes, it’s a thing. The Internet abounds with videos.

As of Oct. 1, motorists who intentionally blow visible exhaust at a person or vehicle can be fined up to $500. Rolling coal is done to attack protesters, show disdain for “foreign” or hybrid vehicles, or, apparently, as a dirty prank, according to the videos. Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) signed the bill Thursday.

Rolling coal requires a driver to have overridden or tampered with a vehicle’s emission controls, said Allen Schaeffer, executive director of the Diesel Technology Forum, which represents diesel engine manufacturers and suppliers. Schaeffer said his group supported the legislation, along with Bike Maryland, because it’s unsafe and bad for the environment.

It also gives diesel engines a bad name, he said.

“Nobody wants to see a black puff of smoke coming out of any vehicle,” Schaeffer said. “It’s a very small fraction of a universe of people who do this, but it’s not representative of the current world of diesel technology that people have worked so hard to make clean.”

[How safe is bike commuting? Perhaps less than you think.]

Kim Lamphier, of Bike Maryland, said her organization has heard a growing number of complaints in the past four years, particularly from cyclists and runners on rural roads, where some motorists apparently want to give them the message of “you don’t belong.”

“It’s horrible because you can breathe this stuff deep into your lungs and be coughing for several days,” Lamphier said. “For people with asthma who cycle, it can be a lethally dangerous combination.”

Schaeffer said it’s primarily a problem with diesel pickup trucks, not tractor-trailers. New Jersey and Colorado recently passed similar laws, he said. Tampering with a vehicle emissions-control system is also illegal under federal law.

[Cyclists, runners square off against car dealership next to Maryland trail]

Maryland Del. Clarence K. Lam (D-Howard) said he sponsored the legislation because the practice has “gotten out of hand” on Maryland roads.

“Over the last year, I have heard from an increasing number of cyclists, runners and drivers who have been coal-rolled throughout the state,” Lam said in a statement.

The ban does not apply to diesel vehicles that discharge visible exhaust during normal acceleration, commercial vehicles weighing 10,000 pounds or more, or vehicles on construction sites.

To do a "rolling coal" the driver of an (otherwise unmodified) diesel vehicle pushes the clutch in and repeatedly depresses the throttle rapidly to overly enrich the intake charge leading to the production of copious clouds of dense black smoke loaded with unhealthy particulates and carcinogens.

Making Unnecessary Noise or Smoke While Operating a Vehicle A person must not wilfully or otherwise start or drive a vehicle in a way that makes unnecessary noise or smoke (reg 291 Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Road Rules) Regulation 2009 (Qld)). The offence is punishable by a fine of up to 20 penalty units ($2611).

• Sad 1

Monday night, 8pm ABC Australian Story.  Looks to be the story of the investigation and the background of the truckie involved in the hit and run of the cyclist that got hit in the original post of this thread