Wardy

Appeal for information in case of hit and run cyclist death

Please pass this on if you know anyone who was travelling in the area (west of Brisbane, or northern NSW) on Friday

POLICE are asking anyone who has seen a truck or four-wheel drive without one spotlight to contact them after the death of a 61-year-old male cyclist 16km north of Inglewood on the Millmerran Rd on Friday.

Investigations indicate Martin Pearson, of Lowood, was riding a bicycle when he was struck by a vehicle some time between 2.30pm and 3.25pm Friday.

The vehicle had a 240mm HID Lightforce spotlight which was broken off and found at the scene.

(source: http://www.warwickdailynews.com.au/news/spotlight-clue-in-hit-and-run/2241144/)

This one has really hit home for me, as I had met Martin and his wife at a couple of Audax rides, and they are lovely people.

The incident is so cruel: Martin was absolutely meticulous about safety, and this has happened on a quiet section of road on a public holiday in the middle of the day. It is difficult to imagine that the driver could not have seen him (unless they simply weren't paying any attention to the road), and impossible to imagine that they could fail to notice that they hit him (I'd guess that Martin + bike weighed 90+ kgs), yet they drove on and left him for dead.

The story has received reasonable coverage in Brisbane, but I'm not sure how much inter-state where the driver could well be from (it happened fairly close to the Qld-NSW border).

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/police-ask-for-help-to-find-hitandrun-driver-who-killed-cyclist-dr-martin-pearson-at-inglewood/story-fnihsrf2-1226896991754

As usual, there have been appalling anti-cycling rants on social media. I'm astounded at what people believe is appropriate to say at such time.

Vale Martin.

Moved from Sandbox based on a request.

As a community forum I think this is important enough for Trichat.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear Wardy, I've been following this in our local paper. Some comments in another thread. The police have apparently said there is a possibility the driver thought they hit wildlife when they didn't stop. I can only think they're trying to sucker someone into coming forward. Based on the comments regarding the road and conditions I can't see how they couldn't have seen him.

Too many people are grubs only concerned with themselves these days. It saddens me to see how we are becoming.

Thanks for the update Goughy. This one was a bit close for me as well, he was one of my lecturers at uni. A really good bloke :(

This guy must have known for a while this was coming, since they've been investigating him for a while now. I just can't fathom how people can just drive off after doing this. It just doesn't register to me.

Driving in for my morning ride tuesday, I hit two roos. Saw the first and braked hard and it hit the left front, the other jumped clear across the front and hit my front right. I turned around when safe to check on them, but couldn't find them. But jeeze, that's just a couple of roos. How the hell can someone have less empathy for a person.

This guy must have known for a while this was coming, since they've been investigating him for a while now. I just can't fathom how people can just drive off after doing this. It just doesn't register to me.

Driving in for my morning ride tuesday, I hit two roos. Saw the first and braked hard and it hit the left front, the other jumped clear across the front and hit my front right. I turned around when safe to check on them, but couldn't find them. But jeeze, that's just a couple of roos. How the hell can someone have less empathy for a person.

Exactly Goughy.

How does someone like this sleep at night, especially knowing the cops have raided his place looking for further evidence. The thought of 'owning up' probably never entered his mind.

I really hope this is taken into account in court and this fcuking coward goes down for a big stretch. And if so, plaster it across every conceivable news outlet possible. Scum like that need to be made an example of.

I wonder what the maximum custodial sentences are for the 3 charges, and if found guilty, how close to that he'll get?

Are any of the legal fraternity on here able to advise the maximum sentences?

And he's been released on bail, $5000 bond paid by his father.

i dont have much hope from the laws dealing with such kind of incidents - shocking past examples to quote - it is fast becoming the legally safest method to seriously maim or kill someone without getting much punishment.

I predict his defence will be. "I didn't know I hit someone".

The idea of "I didn't see him" Can sort of be valid (as long as you are owning up to a negligent driving charge)

The idea of "I didn't know I hit someONE" infers that you know you hit something, if you didn't see what you hit, surely it would be a good idea to check what you hit.

Having the cops come around and impound your vehicle (with broken bits) might suggest you hit something - at this stage surely you would be co-operating with the cops - unless you really do believe that cyclists are wildlife/targets and thusly fair game.

The way I read the article it reads that evidence other than the actual truck has been collected from his place so perhaps the "I didn't know" line of defence will not stick this time.

If the line in the article is correct "the man's truck was seized", and it was actually his truck, didn't he wonder about the missing spotlight? Can he honestly say he had not heard any details about the case from the media, stating a spotlight was found at the scene?

He probably hit him real good to lose the light - and was hoping the case would just go away...

I don't get it. Did he hit kill the cyclist, then drive the truck to the yard and not use the truck again until the police seized it? If there is other evidence at his place, does that mean he stopped and collected broken bits of his own truck?

I would guess he's fixed the light in the meantime. The truck may still have impact marks that haven't been fixed in the meantime or other evidence of an impact DNA etc.

Evidence seized from his house may be work records - prove he was out driving that day and in the vicinity, receipts of purchases of replacement lights/parts, previous light housing etc, financial records showing purchase of parts or fuel purchase on day of incident etc.

I would guess he's fixed the light in the meantime. The truck may still have impact marks that haven't been fixed in the meantime or other evidence of an impact DNA etc.

Evidence seized from his house may be work records - prove he was out driving that day and in the vicinity, receipts of purchases of replacement lights/parts, previous light housing etc, financial records showing purchase of parts or fuel purchase on day of incident etc.

Ah I see, thx.

Google the guy and you will see this is not the first person he has killed.

Got away with it the first time - hopefully not again...

YES.

Just been reading the Coronial Inquest findings.

VERY interesting.

A leopard doesn't change it's spots.

Yeah, 2.6kgs of pressure required for that trigger to go off, that's a serious slip up

4 snake experts all testified that snakes wouldn't be out or active in those temperatures (around 10deg C)

Psychiatrist says it would be too stressful for him to answer questions about his wife's death.....

So he doesn't have to answer one single question at the colonial inquest!!

What a crock of sh$t

Edited by Eagleboy

This guys story should get some traction in the media soon. It would make a good 60min investigation.

Haven't heard anything. I don't look at the local paper now as they've put a limit on the amount of articles a month you can read before subscribing. Just happened to fluke on this. Not much of an update really. We all know the guys as guilty as sin but he's bound to get off.

I'm keen to know more as it come to light.

For those new to this story, the guy shot his wife dead in a hunting "accident" in 2008 and then when driving a truck in 2014 he struck and killed a cyclist. Didn't even stop.

Yes, he was tracked down, I can't remember how. Think he claimed he saw nothing but he left headlight and\or maybe side mirror glass behind.

I think he's of Eastern Block decent and there is a bit of a reputation around the family. Of course I'm just trying to remember stuff I heard around the time.