Rocket Salad

Drone hits triathlete in WA.

How much better would that be to police drafting at ironman melbourne...
instead of a drafting penalty in the sin bin you get clobbered by a drone, kapowwww!

Hackers? Seriously? Who really thinks there was a hacker within 300m of the drone with a vendetta against either the photographer or Courtney Ogden's missus?

Sounds like someone ****ed up and is looking for an excuse.

Our club photographer has just purchased a drone and is getting some great shots with it. I've sent him the link to the story to get his thoughts on it.

I thought legally they were not allowed to be used over people so maybe the "hacking" is to cover their arse?

Drones were used to great effect at the recent winter olympics, especially in the long ski runs where they hovered next to the skiers all the way down the mountain. I am sure there is potential to use them in triathlon besides media coverage.

Do you know which drone your club has downsey? I have, well my boys have just been given an ar parrot 2 and i intend to use it at our race in june

Edited by James

From all accounts, they're not the easiest of things to fly and can be affected easily by the wind. I'd say they just forked up.

Be aware that you need an Operators Certificate from CASA to fly a UAV if you "conduct air work" - this includes commercial tasks (hire and reward), demonstrations, training, R&D, flying for company internal purposes, etc. There is a good reason for this - which I think this incident highlights.

Interestingly, the company reported as operating the UAV that hit the triathlete does not appear to be listed on CASA's list of UAS operator certificate holders: http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_100374 (but they could be operating under a different name)

Do you know which drone your club has downsey? I have, well my boys have just been given an ar parrot 2 and i intend to use it at our race in june

Don't know James. It's not actually the club's. It belongs to a guy that does a lot of photo work for us (he did the Hundy photos last year).

It sounds like a good one. Just looking at it fly, it's really stable. He can "lock" it in position and concentrate on the camera operations and it's basically hands free. I've watched it while he does that and it doesn't move. I imagine a big gust of wind might upset it but it uses gyros and gps to hold its hover.

I'll see if I can find out what model it is.

The parrots use wifi for control - or lack of, as the case may be. Wifi is short range and unpredictable and should never be used for this purpose. There is a RC hack you can do if you are technically gifted or another thing is to use a Wifi extender with a portable battery that will make the problem less bad.

Check and see what happens when it loses signal. My experience was with the parrot 1 and it was not good - although after a search rivaling that for MH370 I managed to track it down a few kilometers away. Fortunately no one was in the fright path...

The parrots use wifi for control - or lack of, as the case may be. Wifi is short range and unpredictable and should never be used for this purpose. There is a RC hack you can do if you are technically gifted or another thing is to use a Wifi extender with a portable battery that will make the problem less bad.

Check and see what happens when it loses signal. My experience was with the parrot 1 and it was not good - although after a search rivaling that for MH370 I managed to track it down a few kilometers away. Fortunately no one was in the fright path...

Lol. Freudian slip?

The drone owner is now saying it didn't even hit her, she got scared and fell over. The athlete is saying the ambos were pulling bits of propeller out of her head.

I think the drone owner might be in the shit.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/river-of-blood-after-drone-hits-australian-athlete-20140407-zqruh.html

He's in trouble.

Bloke came here and did a UAV demo a few years ago, as a means of assessing vegetation cover, quality, potential carbon content etc.

Drone was shot down by a Strike Eagle - not the F15 type, but the Wedgetail type :D

There's evil sh*t lurking out here city boys.... :tomcat:

See at 2:30.

Yeah, same Wedgie, did you see the UAV kill markings painted on his neck :smile1:

Much happier ending that the one up at Tenterfield though......they are still picking up pieces out there.

Guess what Courtneys wife does for a living........Lawyer !!!!!!

Oh dear!

I have a feeling the shit's about to hit the fan.

I have a feeling the shit's about to hit the fan.

No, it's just gunna get close and startle it!

• Like 2

There's a company called "Cloud 9" that do aerial photography at Melbourne events - they use a small blimp on a tether. Much more civilized. :)

There's a company called "Cloud 9" that do aerial photography at Melbourne events - they use a small blimp on a tether. Much more civilized. :)

Oh the humanity!!

Geez

There up with the technology down Melbourne way arnt they :-)

Cheers

Ip

Drones were used to great effect at the recent winter olympics, especially in the long ski runs where they hovered next to the skiers all the way down the mountain. I am sure there is potential to use them in triathlon besides media coverage.

I kept looking at those. They were flying so absolutely dead straight that I figured they were on a fixed line somehow?

UAVs and DRONEs... Bah.

They are just remote controlled planes and copters, been around for decades more or less just considered geeky toys. But the military couldn't buy remote control planes, they needed a better name.

• Like 1

UAVs and DRONEs... Bah.

They are just remote controlled planes and copters, been around for decades more or less just considered geeky toys. But the military couldn't buy remote control planes, they needed a better name.

Yes, but the control systems available now for even kit or DIY units is abso-farking-lutely amazing!!

You can get a small module that does "10 degrees of freedom" - 3 axis gyro, three axis accelerometer and a triaxial magnetic field sensor along with barometric pressure - on ebay all for less than 12 bucks delivered!!

Combine that with GPS and optical and ultrasonic transducers, and this thing has more stability than a house and a precision down to the level of centimeters and can do automated flight paths etc.

And, there is sooo much software available (eg Ardupilot et al) that you dont need to be Albert Einstein to put it all together, either. Science fiction 10 years ago.

I soo wish I was a geeky kid in this day and age. (or had more time to be a geeky old man :)) When I was a lad making an oscilloscope out of an old valve TV was the pinnacle of my techno geek creativity :(

Edited by Pete

Yes, but the control systems available now for even kit or DIY units is abso-farking-lutely amazing!!

You can get a small module that does "10 degrees of freedom" - 3 axis gyro, three axis accelerometer and a triaxial magnetic field sensor along with barometric pressure - on ebay all for less than 12 bucks delivered!!

Combine that with GPS and optical and ultrasonic transducers, and this thing has more stability than a house and a precision down to the level of centimeters and can do automated flight paths etc.

And, there is sooo much software available (eg Ardupilot et al) that you dont need to be Albert Einstein to put it all together, either. Science fiction 10 years ago.

I soo wish I was a geeky kid in this day and age. (or had more time to be a geeky old man :)) When I was a lad making an oscilloscope out of an old valve TV was the pinnacle of my techno geek creativity :(

Totally agree, the auto pilot kits from 3D Robotics are so tempting... The Arduino systems also offer an amazing platform for so much fun! But for true geek fun you would be looking at a $2-3k investment, and we all know it wouldn't end there...

Still, these images and video footage are just people flying RC aircraft. Some of the high end ones may use a Fist Person View(wearing goggles) system which is pretty cool but still just an RC aircraft. There is no autonomy involved.

This on the other hand is the real deal...

Totally agree, the auto pilot kits from 3D Robotics are so tempting... The Arduino systems also offer an amazing platform for so much fun! But for true geek fun you would be looking at a $2-3k investment, and we all know it wouldn't end there...

Still, these images and video footage are just people flying RC aircraft. Some of the high end ones may use a Fist Person View(wearing goggles) system which is pretty cool but still just an RC aircraft. There is no autonomy involved.

This on the other hand is the real deal...

Awesome!!!

$1700 fine - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-13/drone-operator-at-geraldton-marathon-fined/5887196

In an earlier statement, the CDPP said the drone crash was not the operator's fault.

"The evidence indicated that the cause of the incident was not the actions of the operator but rather radio interference to the UAV [unmanned Aerial Vehicle] caused by the event's timing device," the statement said.

It is not a Drone there is nothing autonomous about it, at all. It is just a remote controlled aircraft.

Interference is possible, especially at 2.4Ghz(think wifi, cordless phones, garage door openers, car key remotes...), 5GHz is less busy. However, high end kit used professionally should be easily robust enough to not crash due to interference.

If he they were charging for their services they need to get their shite together.