BarryBevan

Cronulla Sharks

Not being a league follower I'd like to ask is this a culture issue throughout the league? In the AFL there are certain clubs with a reputation for being more accepting (if not protective) of indiscretions and others with a "no dickhead" philosophy. As a complete outsider it seems that the majorityof NRL clubs for into the former group.

Ultimately culture is dictated by the lowest level you are willing to accept. I'm sure there are many, many upstanding individuals in league who hate this sort of thing but until as a group they say "no more" and are willing to accept onfield pain to uphold their values nothing changes.

Are RL clubs privately owned?

Can't think of a current NRL club that hasn't had some sort of player misbehaviour issues. Warriors? Or maybe the Kiwis do a better job of covering things up.

Wonder if AFL is also slightly different in that if things don't work out for a player in AFL that's them pretty much done with professional sport (other than a couple of rare crossovers to other sports) while the leaguies generally have a fall back option of UK Rugby League or Rugby?

The thing is Stikman all these dickheads keep getting thrown lifelines, particularly if they can play. The better the player, the bigger the indiscretion that's forgiven.

I heard Ray Hadley make a comment a few years back that related to any sport. He said something like "the game has survived the retirement of every champion that's ever played". In other words, it doesn't matter how good you are, if you're a dickheads we don't want you.

The thing is Stikman all these dickheads keep getting thrown lifelines, particularly if they can play. The better the player, the bigger the indiscretion that's forgiven.

I heard Ray Hadley make a comment a few years back that related to any sport. He said something like "the game has survived the retirement of every champion that's ever played". In other words, it doesn't matter how good you are, if you're a dickheads we don't want you.

I wish hadley would retire..

• Like 1

Can't think of a current NRL club that hasn't had some sort of player misbehaviour issues. Warriors? Or maybe the Kiwis do a better job of covering things up.

Warriors guy sent a snapchat of him in a consensual intimate situation earlier in the year.

Was then 'leaked by a mate'

Didn't miss a game from memory.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11249902

Yes that's what I mean. There are cases in AFL like Brendan Fevola and to some extent Buddy Franklin who have had a number of indiscretions but most have one and cop a big whack then either pull their head in or just make sure they don't get caught. The AFL as an organisation also seem very keen to protect the image and have power to do so.

Yes that's what I mean. There are cases in AFL like Brendan Fevola and to some extent Buddy Franklin who have had a number of indiscretions but most have one and cop a big whack then either pull their head in or just make sure they don't get caught. The AFL as an organisation also seem very keen to protect the image and have power to do so.

Is that what happened with cousins, the st kiilda players and the multiple kept secret positive tests for rec drugs

Read the admissions by the AFL dr harcourt about 5 players quietly retired for illicit drug use, numerous "3strikes" players etc.

The AFL's policy is an interesting one. They've copped a lot of criticism for it but in reality it's a good policy in that it acknowledges the issue of illicit recreational drugs and is trying to address and manage it rather than sweep it under the carpet. You can argue whether a name and shame policy might be better but they are offering support for these guys initially and giving them an opportunity to straighten themselves out.

Hard to say what is the better way to go.

Let's face it, the afl has athletes, league has comquats geared up, that struggle with the drink. Someone 6'3 with an athletic build is always going to be able to handle his pi$$ better than a bloke with the build of carney and his like. They try to keep up with big boys, can't, and do stupid things. Always been the same, it's just a size to absorption thing. Assumes you stick to the beers and the boys keep up in the shout of course and that's the feral culture that league attracts.

Good to watch though

Read the admissions by the AFL dr harcourt about 5 players quietly retired for illicit drug use, numerous "3strikes" players etc.

That oddly enough illustrates my point. The AFL controlled the situations and the players are no longer playing. It might not be transparent but there are serious consequences. The second chances they generally get are not so public.

So apparently Fifita is have the cast removed from his wrist this Thursday, and is a chance of playing the Knights this weekend. Any chance you Shire boys can find out later in the week if this will happen ? I have the big spud in my Dreamteam

Are RL clubs privately owned?

Newcastle was wasn't it? That's worked out well....

I think the Knights 31 points was a pretty good answer :lol:

Yes but it only came after 18 unanswered points. Lol

Pretty sad against a team whose coach Bennett has sad He sacked himself because we are no good,then they do that to the gummy's. Imagine if the knights were any good......

Tempted to go and watch their feeder club tomorrow afternoon

Melbourne Storm..... Lol

Like the u20 jumper with sharks n purple trim.....

How did the tiges go, havnt looked yet.

They reckon mick potter is getting sacked tonight ?

How did the tiges go, havnt looked yet.

They reckon mick potter is getting sacked tonight ?

Didn't go, had a feeling… and was proved correct :lol:

I think he deserves another year but it seems Potter will go. Club is as much a basket case as the Sharks. Geez some teams are hard to follow, maybe that's why I've always had a soft spot for the Gummies.

You know, my daughter tells me today, everyone at school laughs at sharks supporters. Rugby league has a massive problem with future generations if the local team in the shire is getting laughed at by the kids.

You know, my daughter tells me today, everyone at school laughs at sharks supporters. Rugby league has a massive problem with future generations if the local team in the shire is getting laughed at by the kids.

Are you sure she's not just trying to get you to change? Have you noticed your Men's Health mag missing and a GQ in its place? LOL

classic pic on insta: Carney in Bali with the Corby sisters. Couldn't write this stuff unless you were on acid.

That would be hilarious if it wasn't so stupid

So he is seeking leave to appeal one stupid act and goes and does another.

It's getting that crazy that if you pick the most bizarre scenario ie Todd Carney will be seen riding a Shetland pony through Cronulla mall wearing a tutu singing Russian folk songs and playing a bazouki, and a bookie would only give you 2-1.

So what did he do wrong. ..got a photo ..

He didn't do anything 'wrong' - he did something idiotic. The same sort of idiotic thing which got him sacked from a number of previous employers willing to pay him hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. Some people are simple fools but he's setting a whole new standard.

Nealo - what about Jarryd Hayne schooling Gagan yesterday. It was like watching david campese with his goose step without the goose step. Just slowed down and said to the boy goodbye, you are not worthy.

I wouldn't be co operating or rolling over to Asada investigators in the hope of a reduced sentence. They are a hillbilly outfit as shown with Essendon.

Love the way the drug cheats are the victims when it's league and AFL, poor players boo hoo

If they didn't know what the clubs were feeding them, they are victims. If they knew and took it, they are not.

And yes, every athlete has a responsibility to check everything they consume, hence why they will do the time if they did this.

Just like any other athlete.

If they didn't know what the clubs were feeding them, they are victims. If they knew and took it, they are not.

And yes, every athlete has a responsibility to check everything they consume, hence why they will do the time if they did this.

Just like any other athlete.

Mate I'm not sure that's right. If they took it without knowing what it was they are not victims, they are f***** idiots. If they didn't take it and the club then penalises them, then they are victims.

I had a mate come home from training in a feeder club system with a massive tub of powder.

He wouldn't have had a clue what it was, but in his words "The club said I had to get into this critneen."