Dolphy

New QLD road rules for getting along

What are the new rules?

Minimum passing distance for motorists

From 7 April 2014, by law, motorists must stay wider of the rider by giving:

• a minimum of 1 metre when passing cyclists in a 60km/h

or less speed zone; and

• 1.5 metres where the speed limit is over 60km/h.

From this date motorists can cross centre lines (including double unbroken centre lines), straddle lane-lines and drive on painted islands to pass cyclists, provided the driver has a clear view of any approaching traffic and it is safe to do so.

These new road rules will initially be trialled over two years.

This law is the first of its kind in Australia and will road-test the impact the rules have on saving lives.

But what if I can’t give a metre?

The purpose of this new rule is to give some clarity around a distance most people already provide when passing cyclists.

The aim is also to make drivers more aware of cyclists.

On the road though, you may sometimes find yourself in a situation where you are unsure of what to do.

Always apply common sense, obey the rules and remember:

1. Check your surroundings and the cars around you

2. If it is safe to do so, indicate and pass the cyclist at the minimum distance

3. If not, slow down and wait until it is safe to pass.

Fines for cyclists

Responsible cycling means following the road rules.

To encourage safer behaviour on our roads, cyclists who break the road rules will pay the same fines as motorists.

Fines will also be increased for rules that are specific to cyclists.

Cyclists who follow the road rules will not be affected by these changes.

How did these new rules come about?

A Queensland Parliamentary committee inquiry was conducted to determine how to improve interactions between motorists and cyclists, and the safety of cyclists on the road.The inquiry received numerous submissions from cycling and motoring groups and members of the public and made 68 recommendations to improve cyclist safety.

The Queensland Government has committed to review all the recommendations. While this happens, the new minimum passing distances and equal fines for cyclists (relating to recommendations 8, 9, 14 and 31) have been expedited.

These changes will bring immediate improvements from 7 April 2014 to the safety of cyclists on Queensland roads.

For more information on the rules and to view the committee’s recommendations, visit http://www.qld.gov.au/gettingalong

Well done Queensland.

The Greens are going to introduce a similar bill into the WA parliament. I doubt if it will get enough support to go through.

Great to see, and a long time coming, but I have to be critical of one of the lines.

If it is safe to do so, indicate and pass the cyclist at the minimum distance

I would have much prefered

If it is safe to do so, indicate and pass the cyclist, providing at least the minimum distance

Positive for QLD cyclists. Will be interesting to see if there are any "stings" in relation to cycling hotspots and stops signs and red lights...I hope so and I hope the media are all over it also.

It's a great move. Problem is that cyclists will be so much more informed of the change than the general motoring public.

Discussion on radio this morning about it, stupidest comment of the day went something like this

'If I go to court for hitting a cyclist, how are they going to prove I got too close to him?"

go-pros and tape measures at the ready!

hope it gets good media coverage to ensure we are all educated. front wheel wobble and death grip to avoid getting sucked under that bus a thing of the past?

I doubt they will work, motorists still have no idea of the current ones let alone the new ones. Don't get me wrong though, i hope they are advertised and pushed as much as possible.

Here's hoping though.

I guess with the new camera's on board bikes you can always submit footage to police and have the matter dealt with?

Discussion on radio this morning about it, stupidest comment of the day went something like this

'If I go to court for hitting a cyclist, how are they going to prove I got too close to him?"

This is what we're up against in this country. A LOT of thick heads out there! One can only hope this Neanderthal isn't reproducing!

ABC radio did a segment on it as well. To be fair, there were a couple of very sensible callers but the majority seemed to think it would all be too hard to police!

Why can't people just 'get along' with each other, use common sense (yeah I know, it's not that 'common') and be patient?

I dream of the day NSW pulls their finger out...

I wonder how hard it is to justify the footage.

ie if someone goes past and you get it on film how much standing does it have legally.

one of those 'thick heads' (pretty sure that was a typo) sits right next to me at work. have been discussing the above and he is adamant we shouldn’t be on the road at all. you just can't convince ignorant people. this guy is a tool is general, yeah you, yeah I’m looking at you now, tool.

• Like 2

It's a real shame that we actually need to legislate for people to follow a rule that is helping to protect a human life. Most motorists are already doing the right thing and giving enough room. Comments about 'how are they going to measure it' are a bit silly I think. If a car passes safely and that distance is only 90cm, the driver isn't going to get slapped with a ticket. It's about awareness and educating drivers to more patient and show respect.

• Like 1

I think the trial in QLD and putting similar things in place in WA is a great step forward. Hopefully the other states will do the same.

I still believe the only true way to get a change of behaviour and to protect the at danger individuals is to have the minimum passing laws as well as the Euro style at fault law. Where if a vehicle is in an accident with a cyclist the driver of the vehicle is deemed at fault until proven innocent.

I know baby steps but lets get serious state governments. When was the last time you heard of a cyclist crashing through a group of cars and people ending up dead/ injured.

Edited by Clydesdale

And this beautifully summarises the mental midgets that comment on social media.

I also have a staff member who believes that cyclists do not belong on the roads. He tried to explain that the 1m rule will not work because a cyclist has no brake light. If travelling 1m behind the cyclist and they brake, there is no chance for the car to stop in time. I tried to pointed out that the 1m rule is for passing, not following, and that the law already covers hitting another vehicle from behind which is the drivers fault for not leaving room to stop. He wasn't having a bar of it. He believes that if you can't manage to drive at the speed limit the driver should hand in their license or the car should not be allowed on the road. Bicycles obviously can't do 100km/h, so shouldn't be on the road. Same view for caravans, old cars, elderly drivers etc.

Yes, some frighteningly ignorant and aggressive comments on social media.

I see that AA7 has been on a bit of campaign to remind everyone that if they calm down and behave with some care and respect, everything will be OK. Well done - keep up the good work! :-)

so far it seems like its driving a deeper wedge between cyclist/drivers. the drivers feel like they are being hard done by.

Yes, some frighteningly ignorant and aggressive comments on social media.

I see that AA7 has been on a bit of campaign to remind everyone that if they calm down and behave with some care and respect, everything will be OK. Well done - keep up the good work! :-)

Imagine if some of those same comments were directed at any other minority group there'd be an uproar.

I also have a staff member who believes that cyclists do not belong on the roads. He tried to explain that the 1m rule will not work because a cyclist has no brake light. If travelling 1m behind the cyclist and they brake, there is no chance for the car to stop in time. I tried to pointed out that the 1m rule is for passing, not following, and that the law already covers hitting another vehicle from behind which is the drivers fault for not leaving room to stop. He wasn't having a bar of it. He believes that if you can't manage to drive at the speed limit the driver should hand in their license or the car should not be allowed on the road. Bicycles obviously can't do 100km/h, so shouldn't be on the road. Same view for caravans, old cars, elderly drivers etc.

Did you give him an uppercut?

Honestly, how STUPID can someone be!!

so far it seems like its driving a deeper wedge between cyclist/drivers. the drivers feel like they are being hard done by.

I think it's mainly the morons who are upset by this.

But it hasn't helped that the media outlets are promoting it as "now cyclists with cameras will simply be able to dob in a motorist" as if they will then just get an automatic $330 fine.

I keep trying to give the message that if you're driving carefully and considerately at the moment, you're already leaving at least 1m gap so it really isn't a problem.

But it is Queensland.... :-)

You're doing your bit too Wardy. I really try hard not to read the comments, but I feel the need to balance up the stupid comments. Keep it simple for the simpletons that I'm aiming the comments at.

• Like 1

Our local paper is doing their bit. They put a question on FB today asking about black spots for cyclists in the local area. I thought "here we go", and I was right.

A sample of the peanut gallery:

Greg Woodward Under the wheels of my truck

Greg Woodward Bicycle+rubber pants+plastic hat+arrogance=dead cyclist, it's quite a simple equation and believe me, given the quality of public health care available on the Fraser Coast you'd be better off dead than injured would the two grubs casting derogatory comments at me care to justify them? x

To which I replied:

Nick Downes It's the lycra, isn't it Greg? That's what threatens you. Starts to stir some feelings deep inside? It's okay Greg, embrace it.

There's were a few more but they were deleted. I don't think these will last long either.

Isn't it interesting that people think it's perfectly okay to say they'll actually deliberately kill someone from a segment of the community? What if I said that I was going to run down single mothers because they're a burden on society and don't pay their way? Mind you, there's probably people that think that way too. It's probably the same group!

Single mother+pram+dole cheque+laziness=dead single mother.

Let's run that up the flagpole and see what happens!

Greg's having fun with my name now! Ooooh. Downes Syndrome. Good one Greg.

A quick scan of his FB page and some other stuff online and it's obvious he has a mental health issue so I'd be careful provoking him.

You can change the rules and fine offenders as much as you like; however apart from raising revenue and making already careful drivers be more careful. These ****heads who deliberately intimidate cyclists will never change their ways until they injure or kill someone. These impatient morons who typically drive a van, ute or 4wd not only intimidate cyclists, they intimidate other drivers and pedestrians. I've lost count of the times I've had to stop in the middle of a crossing because of drivers continuing to roll forward in an attempt to intimidate...!

Sorry to be negative but the boofheads, rednecks, texting p platers and other halfwits will keep doing what they are doing!

Oh Kamahl, why are people so unkind?

We cyclists need to pull our heads in and get our own houses in order. The number of cyclists blowing stop signs and red lights, talking on their phones doesn't do us any favours. Admittedly a lot of the idiots are kids who being under 17 don't get fined.

Fine example, late one night I saw a guy on a bike on the wrong side of the road, no helmet no lights on his phone.

Their are plenty of idiots out their driving cars that can't even drive past you without making some stupid comment.

Sure cyclists get lumped into one crowd, those being the lycra wearing group. even when I'm talking about them etc I don't even think of the usual commuter types who are without a doubt the ones I see breaking rules all the time. They consider themselves no different from pedestrians, and zip in and out of traffic as they wish, footpath to road and back as required, no helmets (or my fave, the helmet hanging on the handlebars), no lights etc etc. But remember, these guys are no different from us training cyclists and are seen as the same by the vocal motorist crowd.

I disagree Goughy. I honestly think the average motorist only considers the lycra wearers as actual "cyclists". They seem to be really offended by the clothes, not what we do.

The irony is, most of the lycra wearers around here are the ones that generally do the right thing. The trouble is, motorists see a bunch ride from behind and if they're not in two perfect lines it can appear as though they're riding 2 or 3 abreast.

I've never seen the bogans ride 2 or 3 abreast but you always see them with no lights, no brakes, helmet hanging off the handle bars, riding on the wrong side of the road, slab on the shoulder or balanced on the handle bars. They're not real cyclists though.

I'm gonna try that next week at Kingy Prizna, but also have my zip way down and see which I get pulled up for first? I'm thinking the zipper ;)

• Like 1

I'm gonna try that next week at Kingy Prizna, but also have my zip way down and see which I get pulled up for first? I'm thinking the zipper ;)

Is that helmet undone, or slab over shoulder?

Note: Greg Woodward is also female. "To see what she shares with friends, send her a friend request"

Scary isn't it. And the scariest thing is, they look normal. You can't tell who these people are just by looking at them :(