downesy68

How many different distances do you race?

Further to JGF's topic about cutting back, and Peter's about the plethora of long course races, I often see a lot of comments on here about people who train all year round but who only do a couple of races a year.

I'm far from the pointy end, but I love taking part in races. I don't care what the distance is. For the last few years I've raced up to a dozen sprint tris, 3 OD's and 2 HIM/LC per year.

This year I'm doing my first IM in Cairns so will only be doing one other LC (HB100) but will still do a couple of OD's and as many sprint races as I can get to (including duathlons and aquathons). I may be spoilt because we have our local series and other races close by like Bribie, Rainbow Beach and Agnes Water, but I hear you can race pretty much every weekend in Melbourne.

If you are training for an IM or LC do you cut out or cut back on your shorter distance racing?

Do you see value in doing a shorter race and maybe still doing a long ride in the same weekend?

i'll race anything that tickles my fancy really...

I'm running 100s at athletics and recently did a half mara. I did a club tri not too long ago and just entered nepean and might even do a long course tri this year.

Same as you downsey, love racing, even if it is as an also-ran, so don't really cut back. Basically, I will race anything wifey lets me race, the main barrier being $ and spending the weekend away from the family. I'm doing Cairns too, before that is Batemans Bay half, and Kurnell Sprint the week after, then Club Champs and then Cairns. I want to do Bussleton IM at the end of the year, but that's pushing the $ envelope too much as it involves travel. I'm trying to be a good boy to get permission for western Sydney, but I might have pushed the race-spend envelope too much for that as well. If I can squeeze-in anything else local, and reasonably priced, I will.

I'm not keen on anything under Sprint Distance.

Heck, even sprint distance pushes the boundaries of time invested vs time racing on the day.

this year I have Sprint/OD/Half on the calendar.

Possibly a half mara and maybe possibly a full.

5-7 HIM/70.3/Long Course

5-6 OD

4-5 Sprint

Dependant on fatigue etc. Will drop a OD/Sprint if it means being fresher for an upcoming 70.3

Variety of Open Water, Road running, Cross Country, aquathons etc...

Edited by lachie94

I only race IM distance. Very limited with races in South Australia & I don't like the local races.

I would race Murray Man but it has clashed with overseas races over the last 4 years.

I'll turn up and have a go at any distance race except a double IM. I know Lewey stalks this site so I had to put that last one in. Mad bar stared keeps trying to talk me into doing one. What part of friggin never doesn't he understand.

• Like 1

My comeback race after a few years off was IMOZ, followed by HB100, followed by Kingscliff Oly.

My next planned race was going to be Byron Bay Oly but a blown out knee may have put that on ice. After that it's Challenge GC then hopefully HB 100 again.

I'd race more often and shorter if I lived somewhere like Hervey Bay where the club has it going on. At the moment though, I usually work at least 2 weekends out of 4 and sometimes don't always have a choice of which weekend I have off. Add to that competing interests of family time, friends etc means racing is very selective and I can't justify travelling an hour or so each way and sitting around at a Gatorade race all morning just for a sprint race. I also live in the 'çountry' so I can't just duck down to a shorter running, swimming, or cycling race in the morning before the family gets out of bed.

Train all year round with long course races scattered through the year to work towards - HOTW (Feb), Cairns IM (June), Sunny Coast 70.3 (Sept), HB100 (Nov). Thats a fair amount of coin in entry fees alone so only "allow" myself one shorter distance race and tha't the Moololaba OD as live on the Sunshine Coast so no extra expense after entry. Would race more if costs lower - can enter HOTW and HB100 for the cost of the 70.3 but again a race with no fuel or accommodation costs.

Why do your delete all you posts in the hours after?

Don't want to be part of the Trannies Community?

Damn it, I've been wanting to mention that for days. Sometimes there can be 3 or 4 of those deleted posts on one page

The last 12ish months I've done Huski Long Course, Port IM, Club champs, Nepean, Kurnell and Huski sprint. I haven't done an enticer, or half IM yet (but I have entered 70.3 riff). Guess I'll race just about any distance, although Huski, and club champs is more about the whole weekend, rather than the race.

This is only my first season so i'm not speaking from much experience at all here. Have raced 2x Gatorades and 2x Bribie, and about to race Challenge Bateman's Bay. Haven't done an OD yet. Depending on how I fair at Bateman's I am looking at racing 2-3 HIMs/year (already lined up for Sunny Coast 70.3) with perhaps one or two Bribie's on spur of the moment. I am not competitive in any race format but much prefer long sustainable training sessions as opposed to short speed sessions and am hoping this transfers to racing. Also, I am hoping to combine racing with travel while i'm still young and childless so hope to do some OS races!

I do the opposite, where if I'm going longer I don't really change my training at all. I 'train' all year round, but really my training is my social time to catch up with my mates so I don't often really look at it as training. Apart from my local club sprints, I only get the time and money to do 2 or 3 other races a year, but I kind of like any distance. I haven't done an IM, but I have done a few very long races for me. Unfortunately my training really doesn't change much regardless of the distance, as I do what I can fit into my life. But I don't expect great results and just enjoy getting out in the crowd and having some fun. If I was racing as often as some then I'd say I'd be more focused.

As I mentioned in my topic about going shorter that there were various reasons for the shift towards shorter races and being able to race more often is one of them.

Over the past couple of years I have focused on an IM a year with one or two 70.3 and maybe two shorter races. Time, finances, family and work have dictated that travelling away to races regularly is not viable. So with a shift away from LC I figure I can race mainly in Sydney - Kurnell, Hills and Nepean gives me 11 good quality races which require no weekends away and at an equivalent cost of entering a single IM. Add club champs and a couple of smaller races (Camden Haven for example) and I am racing a hell of a lot more and I anticipate getting a hell of a lot more satisfaction out of this sport without much (if any) additional outlay.

• Like 1

Last 3 years since comeback I have trained mostly for Sprints n Oly.

But hang on ....I've just realised I've done 3 LC /70.3's in last 9 months and only one SC and one Oly.

Mmmm. Maybe I'm changing.

Lucky the Coach makes me do some good aerobic work all year round and does modify things if I nominate an A race. . Cripes I hope I don't end up wanting to do an IM ....

Edited by Mjainoz

I'll do any decent length race if it fits into the weekend, but IM is the weekend (or more accurately week or 2).

The more epic the event, the fonder the memories

Maybe lazy just wants get his post count

Up?????

LOL

:-)

Cheers

IP

One Half Ironman a season for the last 5 years

Usually 4 or 5 Sprint Distances a year

Occasional Olympic Distance

Usually 3 or 4 Sprint Duathlons

Up to 5 fun runs from 5km to HM and several Ride events (70km to 210km)

Have done one Ironman 2 years ago

from 2006 -2012 did all distances each year from super sprint (400/15/4) to IM

400/15/4...750/20/5...1000/30/8...OD ...LC...HIM...IM

always wondered how people only did 1 race a year (usually an IM) always felt they were missing out.

I just adapted longer training in to suit ...I would go to Robina for a sprint race and go 100% and then ride 90/100km home...

fun runs in winter are great as I would ride there and back and still have a solid run in the middle.

the last few years it was just getting stupid to enter so far out ...

might be changing a bit as I only entered Mlba OD 2 weeks ago and just did Bribie sprint yesterday after only entering on friday.

I couldn't find the delete user function.

So long and thanks for all the fish!

The first step back to being a "real" triathlete! ;)

so excited to know that in a few weeks the triathlon community will accept me, feel like home, and i'll qualify as a 'real' triathlete

so excited to know that in a few weeks the triathlon community will accept me, feel like home, and i'll qualify as a 'real' triathlete

Not till u get the tat !

only full distance and I discovered ultra's last year (love love love)...

and occasionally a HIM..but they hurt WAY to much..

Edited by Simone