Sign in to follow this  
Lost in transition

Super Bricks - Who does them?

These super bricks just look too hard. No wonder I have crap results ;)

Would be fun to be around some of these club training sessions.

I see a few of you do 1k repeats off a long bike (and I'm sure I've seen some pro's do this too). What's the go with these as opposed to just doing a long run? Are you able to keep up a better pace during the 1k effort because of the rest you have in between? Or are you targeting race pace during these efforts? And how much rest do you take?

I see a few of you do 1k repeats off a long bike (and I'm sure I've seen some pro's do this too). What's the go with these as opposed to just doing a long run?

I started using these about 8-10yrs ago because I found when the guys went on a long run they would gradually "blow up" or "lose focus" and gradually slow down - when we started doing 1km repeats on a 1km out and 1km back course - the got to feed themselves better (as they would in the race with an aid station every 2km)

They also got to see each other regularly which was good for "keeping them honest" - they also got used to holding a set pace

Another benefit for me as the coach is that I get to check run technique on every lap - I can give tips - holding good technique when you become fatigues is one of the keys to a good IM run

We sometimes use HR for recovery - running IM race pace and recovering to 70%HR - then going again ------ and for aerobically fit athletes - just running either 1km or 2km having ten seconds break - and running again - timing the whole run and dividing the time up at the end - it usually works out a faster run than if there were no breaks

On the subject of "super bricks" - I had a conversation with Ken Glah a few years ago and he said - "How can anyone expect to race for 10hrs + if they can't train for 7-8hrs :scared:

• Like 2

Recovery is much faster for repeats than it is for long runs without rest. Easier to maintain better form too.

I only want my athletes to swim - ride or run with as close to perfect form as possible - I occasionally get someone out of the pool and send them for an early shower - or give them an extra unscheduled rest day if what they're doing is just dragging their arse through the sessions - this is neither productive or building their confidence - it's actually counter productive - when your technique falls apart you may as well not be there :shy:

Our bricks are in place to boost the confidence of the athlete, Saturday saw 5 hours on the bike including Tambo followed by 12 1k repeats. The times achieved during the bricks are then assessed and losely used to determine a pace for the simulation day. If an athlete can't achieve a given pace during the brick they won't (or shoulldn't) hold the pace during the simulation day or for that matter the race. Our bricks are used to determine pacing over the last 9 weeks of the program and with the correct taper they should be able to maintain the same pace for the duration of an IM. The key is ensuring that the pacing is correct during the brick sessions. As AP pointed out, although in different squads, our run intervals off the bike are used for the athlete to get used to aid stations and rehydrating/taking in nutrition, part of this is to either slow down or walk to take in enough fluid then start running at pace again (need to condition the mind and body to do this). Any pace achieved during our shorter mid week sessions be it aerobic or interval are discarded when determining actual pace for race day.

I do brick repeats.

Seriously, I ride 13k, run 3k, ride 13k, run 3k, ride 13k, run 3k, ride 13k. Got the idea off a kick ass IM athlete, I rate them highly.

Tricky thing with Bricks is doing a 'super brick' and a long run for 9-5 working folk who might only be able to do those long sessions Saturday and Sunday. Doing a 2hr+run Saturday followed by a 5 hour bike and 10+km run Sunday is going to be too much for most people. It's also good to have days off running for recovery and injury prevention so doing a run after every ride as some recommend can take away from other more important runs.

I actually think they are over-rated as a pure training benefit.when you get into the sport everyone bangs on about how weird the legs feel running off the bike and figures we need to practice it a lot to get used to it. But it still always feels weird for the first 500ms anyway.

• Like 1

Seriously, I ride 13k, run 3k, ride 13k, run 3k, ride 13k, run 3k,

This is also a great way to do an interesting session when the weather is crap and you have a long ride planned (in NZ we know about crap weather)

I would far rather do something like the above on the wind trainer for the bike and run, than try and do a long continous wind trainer set or ride in crap weather.

I do brick repeats.

Seriously, I ride 13k, run 3k, ride 13k, run 3k, ride 13k, run 3k, ride 13k. Got the idea off a kick ass IM athlete, I rate them highly.

This is also a great way to do an interesting session when the weather is crap and you have a long ride planned (in NZ we know about crap weather)

I would far rather do something like the above on the wind trainer for the bike and run, than try and do a long continous wind trainer set or ride in crap weather.

Yeah, I've done something similar when bad weather comes around. Sometimes also with a few minutes core/upper body between the run and ride sets on the repeat loop. Keeps it interesting.

I have not done an Ironman so my plan is not proven, but I only do small bricks.

Due to time constraints I do a long run Sat morning then long ride Sun morning. I have run up to 20 mins off the bike on a Sun, but treat it more as getting used to transitioning to the run rather than doing a long run with bike fatigue.

My main goal at the moment is to fit in the long ride and long run without effecting the family too much. I do them understanding that I will need to significantly reduce my pace on the day.

If I did do a super brick then it would be for the following reasons:

• Trial equipment and race plan
  • Build confidence in my race strategy

I am banking on fitness being fitness and then it comes down to getting the pacing right.

Ask me after Ironman Melb if I am an idiot or the plan worked.

I was horribly exposed on Sunday at Husky. Well off what I thought I could do.

I'll be trialling a lot of the ideas here between now and Port.

Thanks

Our long sessions are Sundays. I have found that the average age grouper is in risk of over training and illness if we give them more than three Sundays of over 5hrs without a shorter one - so every fourth week is a shorter session 3-4hrs (it feels like a holiday after some sessions as long as 7hrs )

Some brick sessions only involve 5-6 x 1km repeats off the bike - they're not all long runs :smile1: