Sign in to follow this  
Lost in transition

Super Bricks - Who does them?

Just interest heading to IM season (Melb, Port, NZ), who is doing these monster sessions. What are you like the following week, are you better at racing a 70.3 instead?

Love to hear both sides of the coin of these beasts.

are we talking 4/120/20 or the like? or a half ironman at ironman goal pace?
Have done them quite a bit in the past

AP had me doing 4 hours on the bike with the last 2 hours at race pace followed by 2 hours running at race pace. a great confidence builder and a very very specific workout with no fluffing around. Would typically end up as 60km in the first two hours, 70-75 the next and then 27-30km of running. not as crazy as it sounds and recovery time didnt seem to bad.

2-6 weeks out.

Another crazier session was 4 hour ride followed by 20x2km repeats. because of the break between the runs it was no where near as bad as a straight 40km. 2-3 weeks out for this one. have to have a ton of faith in the coach with it!

Hey Ruley is this a confidence thing to knock this sort of thing over, or does it make you much much fitter?

Confidence is a large part.

Practicing execution is a major part of it. Practice getting your pacing, feeding and racing right so that you know it works and its automatic on race day. Its important when you only race long twice a year tops as you forget what its like pretty quickly unlike sprints/OD's where you race in to form.

Their probably is a good fitness component as well as the mental fitness through just sitting on that point you need to. builds up a bit more comfort buffer

not as serious as Ruley's session but 3 weeks out from Huski a group of us did 45 min O/W swim, 3 hr ride & 90 min run, separated by about 60 min between each activity on a saturday

it ended up taking a fair chunk of the day though but that was it for the weekend.

Saturday - big training day

Sunday - rest day spent on the beach

Monday - swim

Tuesday - normal training & felt fantastic

I certainly felt much better after this, but then again it was the culmination of a three week build.

This is a crazy concept and possibly foreign to the stereotypical triathlete.

But why not do more racing?

People are often talking of training this, training that, training training training............ to fat, to slow, what training did you do, what didn't you do, intervals here, squads there, this kit, that kit etc. ad nauseam.

Change some of that "training" into racing and you'll get all those little specific elements, sharpen up transitions etc. all via actual racing.

There's no rule to say you must race at 100%.

"Pin a number on"

90DAD7DEEE476D0D99491F62C569FF96.jpg

• Like 1

People are often talking of training this, training that, training training training............ to fat, to slow, what training did you do, what didn't you do, intervals here, squads there, this kit, that kit etc. ad nauseam.

Change some of that "training" into racing and you'll get all those little specific elements, sharpen up transitions etc. all via actual racing.

"Pin a number on"

Because its not worth the cost vs benefit.

*edit to add "for me".

• Like 1

Yeah I would race more if money was no object. A big training session usually only costs food and good will with the family.

Trev, I agree race more but racing long more is often not feasible.

My best long course racing came off a summer of racing mini's balls out every second Tuesday night for the season. It def helps.

Appart from those who are paid to do it backing up long course like this would be tough. 7 days between a half and the Murrayman hurt deep inside in a weird way that felt very unhealthy, and that was off top 5 overall fitness not 9-5 day job reality. So my slanted view is race often but not long and that there is value in big bricks if you can recover from them

"Pin a number on"

TrevS,

what sort of races do you think carry benefit for the main A Race of the season

so , my A Race, and I think for many others would be an IM in MArch or May or June

so my training races are Huski, 2 x Challenge Halves & Nepean.

do you think doing sprint races, e.g. KWC or local club races, every month, help the IM cause or am I (we ) better served by doing specific long course training on those days?

I'll just add that I'm not robust enough to have a decent go at a sprint race and then be fresh as a button for the next training session. Actually a 2 hr + long run is easier on me than a sprint race.

Can I call my planned Friday session of 170k bike, 15k run a super brick? It's one of my last big sessions before racing on 15 March.

Sounds super!

Slightly different brick is 30km bike / 10km run times 3

Again 4-6 weeks out. Key part of this is the last run feels like the 25 to 35km mark of an IM. You are tired and sore. The intensity should be IM, also the 3rd repeat should be same as 1st in terms of time and intensity

Very good way to test nutrition, and mental strenght

You haven't race tris for a while Trev. Nearly $400 a half plus travel aint comparable in cost or training value to a $10 cycle club race of an hour or so.

You haven't race tris for a while Trev.

Thanks Diamonds, someone had to say it :shy:

The recovery time is a small price to pay for the gains in confidence, the workouts given to Ruley were given to an elite age grouper who could have stepped across the line and raced pro easily - They are the extreme end of the super brick - there are a lot of benefits in including them in a plan but not every weekend :smile1:

Yep, we do them as well. Only one or two though, its more about getting nutrition and head space right.

2km swim, 120ish on the bike and 15-18ish running and only easy pace.

Hey Ruley is this a confidence thing to knock this sort of thing over, or does it make you much much fitter?

In my opinion 8-12 weeks out you will gain fitness and confidence. however I believe 2-4 weeks out your going to do more harm then good

session a group i trained with would do was a 180odd k's on the bike, 60min aerobic run with 1k swim. mostly aerobic and focus on nutrition.

The sunday was a 90K bike with about 60K at race pace and 20K run off the bike at race pace

In my opinion 8-12 weeks out you will gain fitness and confidence. however I believe 2-4 weeks out your going to do more harm then good

4 weeks out is the ideal time for this...

4 weeks out is the ideal time for this...

for who? for example Macca has commented that he does a lot of training leading into a race while Jacobs needs a good taper.

Both of these are elite athletes. Age groupers who might do 15hrs a week of training I don't believe the body is going to gain the physical benefits from these sessions so close to an Ironman. In particular hard run sessions. I know of a group that is planning a 30K run session at race pace this weekend leading up to Melbourne. I think this is too much too close to race day.

Again everyone responds to these sessions differently.

I would be interested to get the likes of AP's thoughts on the average age groupers recovery time from these big sessions and gaining the maximum benefits from them will the appropriate taper to be ready for race day.

I always think what am I going to get out of the session and is this session a) going to benefit me to be at my best on race day and B) does it blend with the rest of the program leading up to race day.

• Like 1

I think there is at times not enough broad minded thinking.

"Racing more" doesn't mean racing IM's or 70.3's more, but a range of races and distances and used in a manner to work in certain areas.under race conditions eg:it may be racing an ocean swim followed straight up onto your bike.

Use the races in your area (if there is opportunity of course) to your advantage.

"Racing more" can be all year round and done so in a manner to maintain good overall fitness rather than the very broad levels of fat to fit that can be read about quite often.

• Like 1