lucky7

Gravel Rash Treatment

So following my stack yesterday, I'm missing skin on my shoulder, legs, back and hands. Anyone got any tips and tricks for speeding up the healing. IM Melb is only 6 weeks away, so I want to get back training ASAP.

Betodine.

Smith & nephew hydrogel, plus their gel net wound dressing product.

Buy an l-arginene supplement and triple the recommended dose

Fixomull. I posted the protocol about a fortnight ago. One application, no mucking around changing dressings, cheap, effective.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/12/the-bike-lane-hale-the-new-king/

Somewhere through this episode of the bike lane, Dr Mitch Anderson talks about how to deal with it. I'm not sure if it's the greatest advice as I've never experienced bad gravel rash so I wouldn't even know what the standard protocol is but given he is a doctor and was a Professional Athlete then I'm sure it would be alright.

Edited by alexholbrook

...and change your login to unlucky7!

Between swimming into a star picket at Shepp and yesterday's big crash that's not a bad idea. IM Melb a month before my wedding is just inviting trouble really.

Depending on the size and location when possible I always try and keep the wound wet using special dressing, it seems to heal much quicker, you don't end up with a scab and end up with less scarring. Apart from swimming I'm back training within a day or two, this obviously again depends on size/location of wounds.

• Like 1

What Tortoise said - Fixomul straight onto the (washed) rash then leave it on for a week - don't be tempted to remove before the week is up no matter how manky it gets. If it weeps or gets wet just pat it dry. You can wear it in the shower, swimming, whatever. After a week take a bath and rub some oil into it to help it come off.

I've also found that 1-2 days with opsite flexigrid (if not weeping much)or opsite island (if weeping alot) dressing combined with Solugel to keep a little moist and remove dead tissue (prevent scab formation) prior to fixomul to be effective. Worked a treat on indoor cricket and indoor soccer grazes. Allows you to get the wound clean and ready for a week of fixomul. Wound should be nice and pinky red colour by this stage.

Also use betadine once initially and not continually as i remember reading it can delay healing if used repeatedly. If you clean the wound initially then cover it, you've done all you can to prevent infection. Just keep an eye on it.

I'd be vary careful with that. Make sure its cleaned real well. Scrubbed if necessary (to remove fine dirt and stone). Not something to take too lightly. A woman lost her arm after a very nasty infection took hold after a fall during the TDU a few years back.

Between swimming into a star picket at Shepp and yesterday's big crash that's not a bad idea. IM Melb a month before my wedding is just inviting trouble really.

Just make sure you do the Bucks after IM Melb.

Actually, what is the greater risk? Missing the Bucks or IM?

Make it do the Bucks BEFORE IM Melb.

If you'd asked me last week, I'd have rated the bucks as the bigger risk . Now , not so sure.

Bucks is planned for a fortnight after IM...hoping to be piss fit by then.

If you'd asked me last week, I'd have rated the bucks as the bigger risk . Now , not so sure.

Bucks is planned for a fortnight after IM...hoping to be piss fit by then.

Train appropriately and with specificity. Do introduce anything new on the day that you haven't trained with.

So if you are planning to do shots, get some down your throat over the next month or so.

Hubby had a serious bike accident several years ago and had some full thickness burns as well as surface ones. He had to bath in Lux Flakes and apply Silvazine cream (prescription only but very worth it). It was very effective. He still has scarring, but it really helped with the healing.

Hubby had a serious bike accident several years ago and had some full thickness burns as well as surface ones. He had to bath in Lux Flakes and apply Silvazine cream (prescription only but very worth it). It was very effective. He still has scarring, but it really helped with the healing.

Reasonable but not absolutely necessary.

Take household bleach (Clorox) and a bottle of sterile water.

Make a 10% solution (not stronger than that, it will burn).....eg 10 ml bleach, 90-100 ml H20. That's Sodium Hypochloride by pharmaceutical name. Flush a small amount over the wound and swab the wound with cotton buds, q tips, whatever for 5 mins. Let it dry 5 mins, seal the wound now with a layer of vaseline/petroleum jelly. Do that twice a day. If it's going to stain your sheets or pillow, stick a 4 x 4 over the vaseline.

The wound will debride in 24 hours...from then on you should see evidence of epithelial cell growth.

If you can find it, the newest and greatest product to provide an optimal healing environment (warm and moist) is Mepilex

just got my helmet back from IM Geelong lost property. Anyone who wants to discuss the cons of mandatory helmet laws is welcome to see what falling off your bike can do to...

left side of the helmet is cracked like an eggshell. made me feel ill just looking at it.

• Like 1

just got my helmet back from IM Geelong lost property. Anyone who wants to discuss the cons of mandatory helmet laws is welcome to see what falling off your bike can do to...

left side of the helmet is cracked like an eggshell. made me feel ill just looking at it.

I crashed yesterday and landed on my head/shoulder, helmet is exactly the same, cracked through. So glad I had that on, I can still feel the moment of impact and if I didn't have it on I'm sure my brain would be mush

I crashed yesterday and landed on my head/shoulder, helmet is exactly the same, cracked through. So glad I had that on, I can still feel the moment of impact and if I didn't have it on I'm sure my brain would be mush

Same thing - can remember head onto road. sickening noise that i won't forget for a while.

Flush with water, betadine then a few salt baths. Flush with water as much as you can. Costs stuff all.

If you like pain then try some peroxide. Kills EVERYTHING..

FM

Edited by Flanman

OK experts, I came off my bike last Monday, and lost some skin. I've been following the protocol mentioned above (http://www.aboc.com.au/tips-and-hints/how-to-treat-roadrash/) and am now up to the 7th day - which is apparently when I'm due for the peel:

• On the night of the 7th day, cover the dressing with oil (Olive or baby oil are fine), and wrap the area in Glad-Wrap.
  • Next morning, apply oil again and remove dressing in the shower. The skin beneath should be clean and pink.

If you've been through this, I'm keen to hear if you agree that 7 days is the optimum time? Is there any advantage in waiting a couple of days more in the case of my hip where some of the cuts were quite deep?

My arm/elbow is pretty good, and I'm certainly going to take the fixomul off that this evening or tomorrow morning. But my hip feels and looks like there's still some rawness under the dressing. Having said that, it has started to itch a little - which is perhaps an indicator that the dressing is due to come off?

Thoughts?

Also, by the way - did you swim while the dressing was in place? I haven't because I thought it might cause the dressing to lift off (although sweat and showering hasn't), and felt it might have been a bit unhygienic at the beginning. But perhaps that's just me finding excuses to slack off my least-favourite training session.

Hardest part for me was convincing my concerned other half that this protocol was the way to go when faced with patches of raw flesh. (I was lucky that the wound was quite clean, so there was no nasty scrubbing involved).

If you can leave it on a couple of extra days I don't think it will hurt but could be of benefit if it was a particularly bad rash. The itch is a sign it's getting close.

As for swimming, yeah, no excuses :lol: It constantly amazes me how well Fixomul stays put if it's applied correctly. Swim to your heart's content, I've always swum when doing this.

As for the other half, they will be amazed when you reveal gleaming, new skin.:) I know it's freaky putting sticky stuff directly onto an open would be I can assure you many people have preceeded you.

PS, when I had 4 locations covered with fixumol, I though one was ready and took it off on day 8. It's the only place where I can still tell I lost skin.

Thanks t & t

Patience it is then.

And swimming again tomorrow. (My other excuse was that I sprained my thumb in the crash - but that feels like it would be OK to swim by now provided I don't catch the lane-rope.)

On the helmet thing: I only made quite light contact with the road by the time my head came down, however the side of my helmet is a bit scratched up. I'm happy that I'm only dealing with road rash on my arm and hip - not the side of my face!

Indeed! My mangled face didn't get the Fixumol treatment. The nurse at the GP abraded it every couple of days for a week. The outcome was fair, but I have one quite visible scar on my upper lip and I can see the unevenness elsewhere, sort of like acne scarring that I didn't have before.

My GP changed her treatment protocol when she saw how good were the bits that I had self-treated.

I was told no swimming until it's well and truly heLed - as it can get infected, especially in public pools. I

Need no excuse not to swim, but waiting until the skin has healed properly was the key advice I was given.

OK experts, I came off my bike last Monday, and lost some skin. I've been following the protocol mentioned above (http://www.aboc.com.au/tips-and-hints/how-to-treat-roadrash/) and am now up to the 7th day - which is apparently when I'm due for the peel:

I follow the same but leave on till the MeFix slowly peels off on its own accord (trimming down the sections that don't stick anymore) and deal with gently removing the last bits when it is ready. I am never in a rush to remove early...

I am using a few different treatments as a bit of an experiment...

Got your standard bandaids

Rocking Duoderm in a few places

And on two long grazes, I have Jelonet covered by fixumol.

Will give an update on how the different healings occur as part of my non-scientific test!

Came off my bike on Vietnam last week and have some roadrash also! Local guy pulled out a small jar of something and rubbed into it... Was tiger balm! Made my eyes water but healed within a day or two!

Time to revive one of my favourite threads I seem to revisit every couple of years.

Had the Fixumol on for 12 days now. Today I removed a couple of patches from shoulder and thigh. Smooth soft skin minus a few freckles. Thanks transitions for the useful advice...

• Like 4

I came off and broke my elbow back in September. Used all the tricks but still have an angry red scar.