Quack

Mobile plans - which one?

16 hours ago, TenPints said:

2Gbps at the Mac Park trials. 16Gbps at the games. Did you visit the tent?

Well there goes my "FTTP as essential to life and a basic human right" argument.

10 minutes ago, Stikman said:

Well there goes my "FTTP as essential to life and a basic human right" argument.

5G as an alternative NBN FTTP ? 

The issues are likely to be high-frequency signal attenuation (even rain is known to be problematic), back-haul bandwidth capacity, and data costs.

2 hours ago, XCOM! said:

5G as an alternative NBN FTTP ? 

The issues are likely to be high-frequency signal attenuation (even rain is known to be problematic), back-haul bandwidth capacity, and data costs.

Realistically, back-haul BW shouldn't be an issue when comparing them. All the NBN services are PON, so congestion starts there, and then you have all the RSP's customers being back-hauled from the NBN POI. There are a hell of a lot more customers at each NBN POI than attached to any Mobiles base, so theoretically the provider COULD provide better back-haul capacity for Mobiles than FTTP. The only thing is if they want to.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

57 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Realistically, back-haul BW shouldn't be an issue when comparing them. All the NBN services are PON, so congestion starts there, and then you have all the RSP's customers being back-hauled from the NBN POI. There are a hell of a lot more customers at each NBN POI than attached to any Mobiles base, so theoretically the provider COULD provide better back-haul capacity for Mobiles than FTTP. The only thing is if they want to.

Yeah, what I meant was that backhaul bandwidth will be one of the factors in how much of that 16Gbps (or 20Gbps) peak data-rate claimed for 5G users see in the real world. As I mentioned earlier, Telstra are claiming 3Gbps on their backhaul and Optuse are claiming 2Gbps on theirs, which is still well above the 1Gbps of FTTP (unless they dial it up to 10) and sounds promising, but then you add in the issues surrounding attenuation - e.g. tests indicating up to 90% attenuation through glass - and it sound challenging. I'm not dismissing the option, just saying that there are issues there.

Similar topic so won't start a new thread.  I may be in the market for a new handset shortly.  Been quite happy with the iphone 7 that work has provided and have a cheap pre-paid handset on android which has been okay other than the limited memory which google seems to take up all the space with their never ending updates to apps that I will never use, but remain mandatory and unable to be removed.

So 2 questions, what is the best android model out there at the moment if I was to choose departing from iphone?  Secondly for any worldly travellers, I'll be in Shanghai early next year, will prices of handsets there to buy outright be significantly cheaper to persevere with my el cheapo android handset and buy something better at that time there?  Alternatively I will be travelling through duty free to another destination in a few months if there could be good savings to be had at that time.

Should be new iPhones due in around a month or so, and new Google pixel phones at the start of October.  Obviously the Sammy's are high end.  I think some of the hauwei phones are nice.

I like the Google phones as it has Android with no skins over the top and gets updated when they come out.  iPhones get their updates for longer though, though sometimes the older phones don't handle the new updates as well.  I doubt Apple will be intentionally slowing down their phones anymore after the last furore.

I hate the whole notch thing....

Edited by goughy