Jump to content
Quack

Mobile plans - which one?

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, TenPints said:

2Gbps at the Mac Park trials. 16Gbps at the games. Did you visit the tent?

Well there goes my "FTTP as essential to life and a basic human right" argument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Stikman said:

Well there goes my "FTTP as essential to life and a basic human right" argument.

5G as an alternative NBN FTTP ? 

The issues are likely to be high-frequency signal attenuation (even rain is known to be problematic), back-haul bandwidth capacity, and data costs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, XCOM! said:

5G as an alternative NBN FTTP ? 

The issues are likely to be high-frequency signal attenuation (even rain is known to be problematic), back-haul bandwidth capacity, and data costs.

Realistically, back-haul BW shouldn't be an issue when comparing them. All the NBN services are PON, so congestion starts there, and then you have all the RSP's customers being back-hauled from the NBN POI. There are a hell of a lot more customers at each NBN POI than attached to any Mobiles base, so theoretically the provider COULD provide better back-haul capacity for Mobiles than FTTP. The only thing is if they want to.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Realistically, back-haul BW shouldn't be an issue when comparing them. All the NBN services are PON, so congestion starts there, and then you have all the RSP's customers being back-hauled from the NBN POI. There are a hell of a lot more customers at each NBN POI than attached to any Mobiles base, so theoretically the provider COULD provide better back-haul capacity for Mobiles than FTTP. The only thing is if they want to.

Yeah, what I meant was that backhaul bandwidth will be one of the factors in how much of that 16Gbps (or 20Gbps) peak data-rate claimed for 5G users see in the real world. As I mentioned earlier, Telstra are claiming 3Gbps on their backhaul and Optuse are claiming 2Gbps on theirs, which is still well above the 1Gbps of FTTP (unless they dial it up to 10) and sounds promising, but then you add in the issues surrounding attenuation - e.g. tests indicating up to 90% attenuation through glass - and it sound challenging. I'm not dismissing the option, just saying that there are issues there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Similar topic so won't start a new thread.  I may be in the market for a new handset shortly.  Been quite happy with the iphone 7 that work has provided and have a cheap pre-paid handset on android which has been okay other than the limited memory which google seems to take up all the space with their never ending updates to apps that I will never use, but remain mandatory and unable to be removed.

So 2 questions, what is the best android model out there at the moment if I was to choose departing from iphone?  Secondly for any worldly travellers, I'll be in Shanghai early next year, will prices of handsets there to buy outright be significantly cheaper to persevere with my el cheapo android handset and buy something better at that time there?  Alternatively I will be travelling through duty free to another destination in a few months if there could be good savings to be had at that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be new iPhones due in around a month or so, and new Google pixel phones at the start of October.  Obviously the Sammy's are high end.  I think some of the hauwei phones are nice.

I like the Google phones as it has Android with no skins over the top and gets updated when they come out.  iPhones get their updates for longer though, though sometimes the older phones don't handle the new updates as well.  I doubt Apple will be intentionally slowing down their phones anymore after the last furore.

I hate the whole notch thing....

Edited by goughy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cotton,

Can Google to get a feel of the predictions for new iPhones.

New Pixel is typically very end Oct, first week of Nov.

If wanting cheap and overseas, have a look at Oppo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Steno said:

If wanting cheap and overseas, have a look at Oppo

The Oppo R15 has one of the least intrusive of those stupid notch things (WTF made anyone think that was a good idea?) but @ $800 I'm not sure I'd call that cheap. The Oppo R17 is supposedly going to reduce the notch even further - but won't be available until October and likely even more expensive.

Nokia 6.1 may be worth a look if affordable and good-enough performance is a goal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The notch does my head in!  Not that I'm getting one, but at least the standard size pixel 3 isn't suppose to have one.  Just because Apple does it doesn't mean everyone should!  And Apple didn't do it first, same as they didn't do the dual Cameras first!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ported over to Belong from Telstra yesterday. Took 8 min from start to finish. Very impressed. All going well so far. Will be saving myself $75 a month on a similar plan. Thanks Trannies. 

Edited by Katz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saving 75/month!  Holy shit, what plan were you on!  We're saving about 65 but across 4 phones!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, goughy said:

Saving 75/month!  Holy shit, what plan were you on!  We're saving about 65 but across 4 phones!

An expensive one. It was unlimited calls and text plus 5gb plus a bonus 5gb. Not sure why they didn’t just call it 10gb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Katz said:

An expensive one. It was unlimited calls and text plus 5gb plus a bonus 5gb. Not sure why they didn’t just call it 10gb. 

That is expensive! That’s a pretty std 2nd level pack here ( 10gb) that is approx £16 to the public ( Mrs FP is on it but we get a staff discount).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×