Quack

Mobile plans - which one?

Hey gurus

I am sure people here have already researched this staff.

I am looking for a mobile plan for my personal iPhone (I have a work Blackberry.........) that offers:

- month to month (no long contract)

- ~ 2gb data a month

- Unlimited or at least a fair amount of included calls

- free voicemail retrieval

- SMS/MMS included

- included or at least cheap international SMS

- I don't need global roaming

- my phone is iPhone 4s, so don't currently need 4G

- decent service...

There are a few options I have found, some don't do what I need, some get crap reviews etc

I know some need to be bundled - so FYI - I currently have iinet internet at home, Foxtel via Telstra and currently use TPG for my personal mob)

Any recommendations/suggestons?

My wife is with amysim and was surprised on the 39.90 plan to get 4 gig on them. Better coverage than I get on vodafone. As soon as I get time am breaking my contract to go over to them. Worth checking them out, don't make a lot of calls personally so didn't look at that

I'm thinking of browsing around for new phone plans for us.  We have 4 mobiles with telstra for $160/month (4 x $50/month plans with $10 off each a month valued customer bonus).  $1000 calls each, unlimited sms and 24gb shared data.

Wonder who else uses the telstra network and also gets to use the 4g network, cause I heard that telstra restricts the others to only the 3g network.  Can't look at optus or vodaphone cause in a bit of a black spot where we live.

Telstra have a $49 plan that would suit but they won't carry the $10 valued customer bonus on each phone over, and not interested in paying $50 for each of us.  Do the other providers that use the Telstra network get the same coverage as telstra itself, or is it restricted in some way?

My mrs and kids are now on Belong.

It is Telstra, just their no frills, no shopfront offering. So as far as we have checked they get the same coverage as me on "proper" Telstra with work. 

Mrs is on the $40 plan, Daughter on the $25 plan and son on the $10 

The best bit is that unused Data is banked not lost, and you can gift data to each other on the same provider. 

You also usually end up with bonus data in the first month as well as, so the Mrs now has over 100gb banked. 

I've been with Aldi (uses Telstra 4G network) for a few years & they've been fantastic. Have put family & friends onto them as well & they're all very happy too.

With the data I have with work & home internet plans, I have no need for a big data plan for my phone. So with that in mind, I'm on their monthly $15 'S' plan. For that princely sum I get -: 1.5GB of data (with data roll-over), unlimited text & calls,  which fully meets all my requirements.

https://www.aldimobile.com.au/

Edited by Moshy

On 15/06/2018 at 9:25 AM, roxii said:

My mrs and kids are now on Belong.

It is Telstra, just their no frills, no shopfront offering. So as far as we have checked they get the same coverage as me on "proper" Telstra with work. 

Mrs is on the $40 plan, Daughter on the $25 plan and son on the $10 

The best bit is that unused Data is banked not lost, and you can gift data to each other on the same provider. 

You also usually end up with bonus data in the first month as well as, so the Mrs now has over 100gb banked. 

Does the data banking last until you leave them?  It's not just a month by month rollover of just that last months unused?  Looking the sound of this, as well as the data gifting!  When we go away, cause my wife doesn't get out much she uses a lot of data.  Would be great to throw her or extra for that month.

Now that these companies get access to Telstra 4g they are a lot more attractive.  It seems Telstra keeps 4gx for themselves, bit this would only affect speed wouldn't it?  As long as we get 4g and 3g we should be fine about anywhere (well, mostly anywhere)... We live in a bit of a black hole when it comes to the Optus network.

19 minutes ago, goughy said:

Does the data banking last until you leave them?  It's not just a month by month rollover of just that last months unused?  Looking the sound of this, as well as the data gifting!  When we go away, cause my wife doesn't get out much she uses a lot of data.  Would be great to throw her or extra for that month.

Now that these companies get access to Telstra 4g they are a lot more attractive.  It seems Telstra keeps 4gx for themselves, bit this would only affect speed wouldn't it?  As long as we get 4g and 3g we should be fine about anywhere (well, mostly anywhere)... We live in a bit of a black hole when it comes to the Optus network.

Data banking just keeps on going as far as I know, wife has about 100 gb banked.

With the gifting, we did exactly that, the kids are on smaller plans, but while away down the coast my wife gifted the kids 5 or 10 gb each so they could watch a movie or two each. 

I'm on Telstra through work so *full service* I assume and nowhere have we seen a difference in service between Belong and Telstra. 

• Like 1

I have been with Optus for years for work and play.  Pricing seems pretty good, but coverage at events is crap.  Often mobile phones are mandatory gear but its pretty bloody pointless with the coverage I get form Optus.  So at the end of the current contract I'm off to the devil at Telstra.  Yep it'll cost more but I'm over shit coverage in country areas.

• Like 2

That's exactly why I had to change.  Killed me to go with Telstra, bit at least now that the re sellers Get access to 4g at least I can pick one of them.

Just picked up 4 of the Belong plans from Office Works.  Had a special, the $40 plan for $20 for the first month.

Telstra $30 or $40 plans.  The data on the $30 plans has recently been raised to 2.5gb per month.

Try Aldi or Belong. They use Telstra network but heaps better pricing and plans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Try Aldi or Belong. They use Telstra network but heaps better pricing and plans.

More importantly Belong IS actually part of Telstra.

Its in the faint fine print, and something they do not go out of their way to tell people as otherwise why would you be with Telstra. 

Belong is a division of Telstra Corporation Limited ABN 33 051 775 556.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, roxii said:

More importantly Belong IS actually part of Telstra.

Its in the faint fine print, and something they do not go out of their way to tell people as otherwise why would you be with Telstra. 

Belong is a division of Telstra Corporation Limited ABN 33 051 775 556.

True, but it's lot like Jetstar & Qantas. Some people prefer all the bells & whistles, so fly Qantas rather than Jetstar.

Yeah I get that, but with a mobile phone plan, what are the bells and whistles?? 

10 minutes ago, roxii said:

Yeah I get that, but with a mobile phone plan, what are the bells and whistles?? 

Free streaming of AFL & NRL, Netball & Music, International Roaming, and the biggy for my kids, Telstra Air Wi-Fi.

My daughter might miss the netball streaming, and we might miss a bit of the Telstra air.  Music doesn't matter cause we're no longer using Apple music (Spotify app is so much better on Android, and funny enough, is more functional on iOS than Apple music is too (ridiculous)), so don't get free music downloads anyway.  But we've picked up 6g/month extra data over all, and unlimited calls, for $50/month less than what we were paying.  And with the data banking and gifting, I've actually given the big plan with the 15g data to my wife who only uses 500mb/month.  The kids can learn to manage theirs, but if need be she can give them extra.  Otherwise she'll manage it for holidays etc.

And we don't go anywhere so roaming means crap all to me.

Edited by goughy

For me, it simply comes down to the technology and access you need, and the price that you are willing to pay.

I only use my mobile for phone calls and the occasional Google fact-check, so a $20 Coles-Optus is good enough.

It works everywhere I go, unlimited national calls/texts, and I barely use a fraction of the 3GB data, so data roll-over is not a benefit to me.

However, that's obviously not going to work if you 'need' mobile streaming services or live in one of the many Optuse black-spots.

On the flip-side, I pay for an over-the-top 100mb NBN connection, because that's what I am willing to pay to work from home without compromises, and any streaming gets done on that service.

• Like 2

Just received a notification from Vodafone here in India.

My 90 day subscription needs renewal - cough up the princely sum of 509 rupees ( $10 AUD ), and we'll continue giving you 1.4gb data per day, free local and STD calls and SMS for the next 90 days.

That's the advantage of living with over 1 billion people I suppose.

3 minutes ago, softy said:

Just received a notification from Vodafone here in India.

My 90 day subscription needs renewal - cough up the princely sum of 509 rupees ( $10 AUD ), and we'll continue giving you 1.4gb data per day, free local and STD calls and SMS for the next 90 days.

That's the advantage of living with over 1 billion people I suppose.

That's one of the things people don't realise when they think Vodaphone is hamstrung here because they are playing against "the big boys" Telstra & Optus. They are actually the biggest mobile network provider in the world, they just elected to not invest here till they needed to.

We're just too spread out.  If everyone just moved into Queensland it would make things much easier!

6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

That's one of the things people don't realise when they think Vodaphone is hamstrung here because they are playing against "the big boys" Telstra & Optus. They are actually the biggest mobile network provider in the world, they just elected to not invest here till they needed to.

They actually aren't.

3 hours ago, FatPom said:

They actually aren't.

Sorry. Outside of the restricted market of China they are the largest.

• Like 1

On 26/07/2018 at 11:17 PM, roxii said:

SON mostly. In other words, just because you’re on the same network doesn’t mean your device is accessing the same equipment/features. 

Edited by FatPom

On 27/07/2018 at 4:48 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

That's one of the things people don't realise when they think Vodaphone is hamstrung here because they are playing against "the big boys" Telstra & Optus

They are big boys in Australia but hardly big. Consider there are around 230 million Vodafone subscribers and about the same for Airtel here in India. With that economy of scale ( around 10 times the population of Australia each ), no wonder I can get it so cheap. It's  never going to happen in Australia.

1 hour ago, softy said:

They are big boys in Australia but hardly big. Consider there are around 230 million Vodafone subscribers and about the same for Airtel here in India. With that economy of scale ( around 10 times the population of Australia each ), no wonder I can get it so cheap. It's  never going to happen in Australia.

Closer to double that.

On 27/07/2018 at 8:17 AM, roxii said:

As another example Belong Mobile only uses Telstra's 4G network not its faster and better 4GX.

On 30/07/2018 at 10:30 PM, ashley_s said:

As another example Belong Mobile only uses Telstra's 4G network not its faster and better 4GX.

I am very interested in swapping my wife (from telstra off contract) and 2 teenage daughters (Aldi and Boost) to Belong for the data banking/sharing reason along with the cost saving. Can any of the telco boffins on here explain this 4G v 4GX thing. In practical terms how will this effect the coverage for talk, text and data. Any significant difference in regional areas? In practice the teenage daughter ignoring their father's call is more of an issue than substandard coverage on the Telstra network resellers it seems to me

Roxii, still no discernible difference in coverage that you can see??

Edited by Parkside

Although there is perhaps a small grain of truth involved with aggregating difference on the 'authentic' Telstra network, essentially 4GX is a term dreamed up by Telstra's marketing dept to create exactly the sort of FUD you see between Telstra and their resellers. They've pulled this shit before with NextG and a few other non-standard terms. Optus have tried it too, but usually theirs are just stupid names that immediately get called out for what they are.

1 hour ago, Parkside said:

substandard coverage on the Telstra network

On the Far South Coast of NSW I was on Vodafone, and could get reception in Bodalla if I stood on one leg by the by the lemon tree. In Broulee, Vodafone gets no reception so I've gone to Telstra. Even then, inside the house, you're lucky to get 1 bar. You often see people outside on their phones.

Coverage in Australia is pathetic. I can't be a passenger in a car and make a call on the drive from Broulee to Batemans Bay because of the continuous drop outs.

What chance do regional users have, when you can't even get a decent signal 20 minutes from the capital of Australia. 

They are listening to me, I'm putting on my tinfoil hat now. Got an email minutes after posting above from aldi mobile telling us they now allow data banking up to 30gB as long as you are on autorecharge

1 hour ago, Parkside said:

I am very interested in swapping my wife (from telstra off contract) and 2 teenage daughters (Aldi and Boost) to Belong for the data banking/sharing reason along with the cost saving. Can any of the telco boffins on here explain this 4G v 4GX thing. In practical terms how will this effect the coverage for talk, text and data. Any significant difference in regional areas? In practice the teenage daughter ignoring their father's call is more of an issue than substandard coverage on the Telstra network resellers it seems to me

Roxii, still no discernible difference in coverage that you can see??

No mate, none at all. Part of the reason was also that she was on Vodafone and couldn't get good coverage at the van, but Telstra was fine, I've checked while we are there and she is getting the same number of bars as me when there. 

Probably still only get 2g in your office though :lol: 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Parkside said:

telling us they now allow data banking up to 30gB as long as you are on autorecharge

My Optus account offers data rollover, provided I use auto-recharge.

I hardly use any data and so had racked up a heap of it. Recently, Optus advised me that they had a 'technical issue' and were unable to process my auto-recharge, which meant they cancelled it and wiped my rollover data. I got an 'oops, sorry...' from them, but no offer to reinstate the data. As I said, I don't use it anyway, so I couldn't be bother arguing, but if I did use it, I'd be p'd off with them and suspicious of that 'issue'.

• Like 1

After following this thread and waiting patiently for my Telstra contract to expire, in the next couple of days I will be changing over to Belong. Any last minute reasons why I shouldn't? 

Their mobile app sux the big one!  Otherwise it's been fine since we switched.  Just use the browser on my phone to log in of I need to check anything.

I read a comment on the Whirlpool forums a couple of weeks ago from someone who is on belong And has 100gig of data baked.  They're dropping their plan back to the $10/month plan now till they use up that data.  So that's an interesting feature.

Yeah my Mrs has or had over 100 banked. 

She delivers some online lectures for a uni in Qld. Recently the kids managed to use all our wifi fir the month and we were being shaped when she needed to deliver a lecture so she was able to tether the laptop off the phone and get it sorted. 

13 minutes ago, roxii said:

Yeah my Mrs has or had over 100 banked. 

She delivers some online lectures for a uni in Qld.

Surely it's best if you guys relocated... 😁

• Haha 1

😂😂😂 don’t worry I have mentioned it quite a few times. 

As a heads-up, Optus is continuing a significant investment into rural Australia - a Billion dollars is committed to improving and expanding the network. To demonstrate the $ needing to be invested, over 3.6 Billion has been invested in coverage since 2015.

Also worth remembering when talking about "the big boys" the actual difference between Telstra and Optus. Telstra have about 40% of the mobile market, Optus about 24% (then Vodafone around 14%). Outside of these three, the other providers are Virtual Network Operators that run over the Optus/Telstra/Vodafone networks.

As we're talking about mobiles - 5G is going to be pretty special! 4.5G is about 1Gbps when stressing the gauges. 5G can hit 16Gbps. To give a comparison for those with 4K televisions: 5G can stream 8K content over the mobile network. Range is shorter, and there's plenty of work to do on the devices themselves, but 2019 should see some roll-out.

7 minutes ago, TenPints said:

As we're talking about mobiles - 5G is going to be pretty special! 4.5G is about 1Gbps when stressing the gauges. 5G can hit 16Gbps. To give a comparison for those with 4K televisions: 5G can stream 8K content over the mobile network. Range is shorter, and there's plenty of work to do on the devices themselves, but 2019 should see some roll-out.

Perhaps in the lab, but real-life... Telstra's Gold-Coast trials have so-far managed to achieve 3Gbps in optimal conditions.

27 minutes ago, TenPints said:

5G is going to be pretty special!

But if you live out of the cities, and can only get 1 bar of 3 or 4G, what good is 5G.

1 hour ago, XCOM! said:

Perhaps in the lab, but real-life... Telstra's Gold-Coast trials have so-far managed to achieve 3Gbps in optimal conditions.

That was Telstra, you should have gone to the Optus demo at the Comms games. The 8K streaming over the 5G network was demo'd as people drove around in a van. Plus a whole load of other applications, with it utilising the full 5G capability (live displays of the speed being achieved) - there was even a tower constructed with the 5G units installed\, so definitely not lab-based connectivity.

1 hour ago, softy said:

But if you live out of the cities, and can only get 1 bar of 3 or 4G, what good is 5G.

Yep, very true. It's a new technology, so perhaps I should have said "pretty special (for us city dwellers)" 😉

Australia is so good at doing this whole network/internet thing!  I reckon it'll be awesome (hope I don't bite my tongue it's so glued to my cheek)......

2 hours ago, TenPints said:

That was Telstra, you should have gone to the Optus demo at the Comms games. The 8K streaming over the 5G network was demo'd as people drove around in a van. Plus a whole load of other applications, with it utilising the full 5G capability (live displays of the speed being achieved) - there was even a tower constructed with the 5G units installed\, so definitely not lab-based connectivity.

Optus claimed it was getting 2Gbps "real-world" speed at its Gold Coast trials.

However, that's still more than enough for applications such as 8K streaming.

4 hours ago, XCOM! said:

Optus claimed it was getting 2Gbps "real-world" speed at its Gold Coast trials.

However, that's still more than enough for applications such as 8K streaming.

2Gbps at the Mac Park trials. 16Gbps at the games. Did you visit the tent?

7 hours ago, TenPints said:

Do you have many 5G ready devices over there?  Also, how is the RAN supply?  5G RAN here not GA until late Oct.

Samsung have recently confirmed no 5G in the S10, but possibly in the Note10 - i.e. 12mths away.

1 hour ago, TenPints said:

2Gbps at the Mac Park trials. 16Gbps at the games. Did you visit the tent?

I thought that the 16Gbps quoted was their station to single user 'peak' data-rate - in fact, I believe that the 2020 standard specifies 20Gbps/10Gbps for that. With multiple users it drops to 2Gbps - which I believe is above the standard's 'achievable' data rate. Edit: I meant to say multiple users and back-haul - Telstra claim their backhaul can deliver 3Gbps.

Edited by XCOM!