Jump to content
Quack

Mobile plans - which one?

Recommended Posts

Hey gurus

I am sure people here have already researched this staff.

I am looking for a mobile plan for my personal iPhone (I have a work Blackberry.........) that offers:

 

- month to month (no long contract)

- ~ 2gb data a month

- Unlimited or at least a fair amount of included calls

- free voicemail retrieval

- SMS/MMS included

- included or at least cheap international SMS

- I don't need global roaming

- my phone is iPhone 4s, so don't currently need 4G

- decent service...

 

There are a few options I have found, some don't do what I need, some get crap reviews etc

 

I know some need to be bundled - so FYI - I currently have iinet internet at home, Foxtel via Telstra and currently use TPG for my personal mob)

 

Any recommendations/suggestons?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife is with amysim and was surprised on the 39.90 plan to get 4 gig on them. Better coverage than I get on vodafone. As soon as I get time am breaking my contract to go over to them. Worth checking them out, don't make a lot of calls personally so didn't look at that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking of browsing around for new phone plans for us.  We have 4 mobiles with telstra for $160/month (4 x $50/month plans with $10 off each a month valued customer bonus).  $1000 calls each, unlimited sms and 24gb shared data.

Wonder who else uses the telstra network and also gets to use the 4g network, cause I heard that telstra restricts the others to only the 3g network.  Can't look at optus or vodaphone cause in a bit of a black spot where we live.

Telstra have a $49 plan that would suit but they won't carry the $10 valued customer bonus on each phone over, and not interested in paying $50 for each of us.  Do the other providers that use the Telstra network get the same coverage as telstra itself, or is it restricted in some way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mrs and kids are now on Belong.

It is Telstra, just their no frills, no shopfront offering. So as far as we have checked they get the same coverage as me on "proper" Telstra with work. 

Mrs is on the $40 plan, Daughter on the $25 plan and son on the $10 

The best bit is that unused Data is banked not lost, and you can gift data to each other on the same provider. 

You also usually end up with bonus data in the first month as well as, so the Mrs now has over 100gb banked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been with Aldi (uses Telstra 4G network) for a few years & they've been fantastic. Have put family & friends onto them as well & they're all very happy too.

With the data I have with work & home internet plans, I have no need for a big data plan for my phone. So with that in mind, I'm on their monthly $15 'S' plan. For that princely sum I get -: 1.5GB of data (with data roll-over), unlimited text & calls,  which fully meets all my requirements.

https://www.aldimobile.com.au/

Edited by Moshy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/06/2018 at 9:25 AM, roxii said:

My mrs and kids are now on Belong.

It is Telstra, just their no frills, no shopfront offering. So as far as we have checked they get the same coverage as me on "proper" Telstra with work. 

Mrs is on the $40 plan, Daughter on the $25 plan and son on the $10 

The best bit is that unused Data is banked not lost, and you can gift data to each other on the same provider. 

You also usually end up with bonus data in the first month as well as, so the Mrs now has over 100gb banked. 

Does the data banking last until you leave them?  It's not just a month by month rollover of just that last months unused?  Looking the sound of this, as well as the data gifting!  When we go away, cause my wife doesn't get out much she uses a lot of data.  Would be great to throw her or extra for that month.

Now that these companies get access to Telstra 4g they are a lot more attractive.  It seems Telstra keeps 4gx for themselves, bit this would only affect speed wouldn't it?  As long as we get 4g and 3g we should be fine about anywhere (well, mostly anywhere)... We live in a bit of a black hole when it comes to the Optus network.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, goughy said:

Does the data banking last until you leave them?  It's not just a month by month rollover of just that last months unused?  Looking the sound of this, as well as the data gifting!  When we go away, cause my wife doesn't get out much she uses a lot of data.  Would be great to throw her or extra for that month.

Now that these companies get access to Telstra 4g they are a lot more attractive.  It seems Telstra keeps 4gx for themselves, bit this would only affect speed wouldn't it?  As long as we get 4g and 3g we should be fine about anywhere (well, mostly anywhere)... We live in a bit of a black hole when it comes to the Optus network.

Data banking just keeps on going as far as I know, wife has about 100 gb banked.

With the gifting, we did exactly that, the kids are on smaller plans, but while away down the coast my wife gifted the kids 5 or 10 gb each so they could watch a movie or two each. 

I'm on Telstra through work so *full service* I assume and nowhere have we seen a difference in service between Belong and Telstra. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been with Optus for years for work and play.  Pricing seems pretty good, but coverage at events is crap.  Often mobile phones are mandatory gear but its pretty bloody pointless with the coverage I get form Optus.  So at the end of the current contract I'm off to the devil at Telstra.  Yep it'll cost more but I'm over shit coverage in country areas.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's exactly why I had to change.  Killed me to go with Telstra, bit at least now that the re sellers Get access to 4g at least I can pick one of them.

Just picked up 4 of the Belong plans from Office Works.  Had a special, the $40 plan for $20 for the first month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Telstra $30 or $40 plans.  The data on the $30 plans has recently been raised to 2.5gb per month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try Aldi or Belong. They use Telstra network but heaps better pricing and plans.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Try Aldi or Belong. They use Telstra network but heaps better pricing and plans.

More importantly Belong IS actually part of Telstra.

Its in the faint fine print, and something they do not go out of their way to tell people as otherwise why would you be with Telstra. 

Belong is a division of Telstra Corporation Limited ABN 33 051 775 556.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, roxii said:

More importantly Belong IS actually part of Telstra.

Its in the faint fine print, and something they do not go out of their way to tell people as otherwise why would you be with Telstra. 

Belong is a division of Telstra Corporation Limited ABN 33 051 775 556.

True, but it's lot like Jetstar & Qantas. Some people prefer all the bells & whistles, so fly Qantas rather than Jetstar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I get that, but with a mobile phone plan, what are the bells and whistles?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, roxii said:

Yeah I get that, but with a mobile phone plan, what are the bells and whistles?? 

Free streaming of AFL & NRL, Netball & Music, International Roaming, and the biggy for my kids, Telstra Air Wi-Fi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter might miss the netball streaming, and we might miss a bit of the Telstra air.  Music doesn't matter cause we're no longer using Apple music (Spotify app is so much better on Android, and funny enough, is more functional on iOS than Apple music is too (ridiculous)), so don't get free music downloads anyway.  But we've picked up 6g/month extra data over all, and unlimited calls, for $50/month less than what we were paying.  And with the data banking and gifting, I've actually given the big plan with the 15g data to my wife who only uses 500mb/month.  The kids can learn to manage theirs, but if need be she can give them extra.  Otherwise she'll manage it for holidays etc.

And we don't go anywhere so roaming means crap all to me.

Edited by goughy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, it simply comes down to the technology and access you need, and the price that you are willing to pay.

I only use my mobile for phone calls and the occasional Google fact-check, so a $20 Coles-Optus is good enough.

It works everywhere I go, unlimited national calls/texts, and I barely use a fraction of the 3GB data, so data roll-over is not a benefit to me.

However, that's obviously not going to work if you 'need' mobile streaming services or live in one of the many Optuse black-spots.

On the flip-side, I pay for an over-the-top 100mb NBN connection, because that's what I am willing to pay to work from home without compromises, and any streaming gets done on that service.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just received a notification from Vodafone here in India.

My 90 day subscription needs renewal - cough up the princely sum of 509 rupees ( $10 AUD ), and we'll continue giving you 1.4gb data per day, free local and STD calls and SMS for the next 90 days.

That's the advantage of living with over 1 billion people I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, softy said:

Just received a notification from Vodafone here in India.

My 90 day subscription needs renewal - cough up the princely sum of 509 rupees ( $10 AUD ), and we'll continue giving you 1.4gb data per day, free local and STD calls and SMS for the next 90 days.

That's the advantage of living with over 1 billion people I suppose.

That's one of the things people don't realise when they think Vodaphone is hamstrung here because they are playing against "the big boys" Telstra & Optus. They are actually the biggest mobile network provider in the world, they just elected to not invest here till they needed to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're just too spread out.  If everyone just moved into Queensland it would make things much easier!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

That's one of the things people don't realise when they think Vodaphone is hamstrung here because they are playing against "the big boys" Telstra & Optus. They are actually the biggest mobile network provider in the world, they just elected to not invest here till they needed to.

They actually aren't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FatPom said:

They actually aren't.

Sorry. Outside of the restricted market of China they are the largest.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/07/2018 at 11:17 PM, roxii said:

Yeah I get that, but with a mobile phone plan, what are the bells and whistles?? 

SON mostly. In other words, just because you’re on the same network doesn’t mean your device is accessing the same equipment/features. 

Edited by FatPom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×