Sign in to follow this  
schoey

Marathon in 2 months

Hey all,

I've been sitting on my arse for a year or two (maybe 3 :sleepy: ) and a new marathon has popped up at my front door so a free travel/accom event is quite appealing. It's on the 6th April so 9 and a bit weeks away.

I'm 4-5kgs over race weight, and have probably run 10km once every few months for the last year in the hopes of starting a habit, so no consistency, I ride and swim a little but nothing serious.

Any suggestions for a bit of a plan?? Background for those how don't know me - a few IM's/HIM's, a couple of ultras 100/90km so not completely new to it.

Edit: There is a 10/21km option as well, so by all means tell me if 9 weeks isn't enough for the full marathon

Edited by schoey

If you are injury prone = 3 runs a week, 1 long and easy, 1 with race effort blocks totalling 70% of the workout and 1 intervals of 800m or 1200m + Cycling/Swimming 3 times a week.

If you are bomb proof = 6 runs a week, same as above + 3 runs a week, 2 easy and 1 with race effort blocks totalling 50% of the workout.

1 week steep taper so you are uber fresh on race day.

Don't make the sessions too long or too hard too soon, if you feel like you can do a bit more, don't. Build the long run to 2h45m tow weeks out, make sure the long run is easy, frustratingly slow.

I just made that all up on the spot but I when read it back and it seems OK.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Just start getting those long runs in asap! Maybe think about a 7/8 day taper.

You could maybe add 30-60 mins of walking to the end of your long run for the first month to boost the time on your feet.

Good luck and enjoy!

It could be a good platform for a serious build for one of the winter maras

If you are injury prone = 3 runs a week, 1 long and easy, 1 with race effort blocks totalling 70% of the workout and 1 intervals of 800m or 1200m + Cycling/Swimming 3 times a week.

If you are bomb proof = 6 runs a week, same as above + 3 runs a week, 2 easy and 1 with race effort blocks totalling 50% of the workout.

1 week steep taper so you are uber fresh on race day.

Don't make the sessions too long or too hard too soon, if you feel like you can do a bit more, don't. Build the long run to 2h45m tow weeks out, make sure the long run is easy, frustratingly slow.

I just made that all up on the spot but I when read it back and it seems OK.

Good luck!

This looks pretty well right MM

I would try and build the long run to 3 hrs though

Cheers

Ip

• Like 1