Cleverboy

Mark Robson ? TA give 2 year Ban for what

Brings back fond memories of reading the adventures of Kip Litton

http://m.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/08/06/120806fa_fact_singer

You would have to put a question mark next to all of this guys past results.

As per above, you could cheat with the Rotto swim but you would need for the support skipper/paddler to be in on it.

• Like 1

As Coach says: enough.

This guy has obviously been reported, checked up on, and is now serving a suspension. No more to say really.

But if you suspect someone has cut the course or started in the wrong wave, report it. I've queried a swim split before and the organisers were very good about following up. What shits me is people saying s/he must have cheated to have a swim/ride/run split so much quicker than everyone else without considering that s/he has an outstanding record in that sport. If you think it's odd, query it with the organisers. If not, shut up and move on.

• Like 1

$20,000.00 in legal costs to TA

Hundreds of hours in cost to TWA with no ability to chase it.

And no Coach some of us wont let it be,some of your bleeding heart board members wanted to go soft on him.

At least you and only you asked questions during the board briefing.

It was clear during our meeting that David Ferrier and your board had no idea to the damage this clown did in perth.

The bloke is a seriel cheat who thrived on being patted on the back and having his ego stroked by his "great "results.

He is a narcacist a lier and represents the worst in our sport,i sat eyeballing him and he didnt give a toss about what he had done,absolutly no remorse in the slightest.

Coach please take on board what im saying in the intent its meant this sport is about the 99 percent of competitors who do the right thing.

Mark Robson is a cold calculating misdirected human being who has got his penalty due to his ego getting in the way.

On the night of the presentations at Busso he was asked twice once on stage and again after if perhaps he had started in the wrong wave.

If he had been smart enough to have said" hey sorry guys i must have cocked it up" he would still be racing today.....we only started digging from that point on and then the cards started to fall.And when his coach taps you on the shoulder and says i think not....well.

So should we let it be....yes eventually but not just yet

Theres more to this storey yet.

All of his results are in question.

• Like 4

This story is interesting to me just because I don't understand the logic or the logistics of cheating.

In the end though, he is only a man. And looks like a man with some issues, who need some support and possibly professional help. So I do hope that he is getting that. No intent to bully or cajole here, just a strange and interesting story like Kip Litton. Those directly impacted might of course feel differently.

I think it is funny, seriously who cheat for an age group race. It is only a race for either old blokes or people that can't really compete with the guys that are winning the race.

I honestly can't believe people would go to this extreme to stoke their ego.

• Like 1

I think it is funny, seriously who cheat for an age group race. It is only a race for either old blokes or people that can't really compete with the guys that are winning the race.

I honestly can't believe people would go to this extreme to stoke their ego.

Trek you were once a pro cyclist from memory, you know what it is to win.

The rest of us don't, some wish they could, therefore may/will cheat to achieve the win. Whether this is for a plastic trophy or something important, each individual is different.

I see this cheating as no different than using banned substances or technologies. (remember the motor in the frame issues from cycling in about 2011).

It is cheating no doubt and way worse than PEDs IMO.

Of course everyone wants to win but seriously this is crazy. How can the guy honestly believe in his own results ?

Sure I know people that have taken shortcuts to get to the finish if they are been dropped in a race etc but that was only to get to the end quicker not to claim a place. The guy needs some serious help.

• Like 1

its not just this guy there are plenty of others Ive seen over the years

i can remember a time at Gundi where I went neck and neck with a guy and we finished 1+2. Suddenly some clown with coke bottle glasses and looks like Homer is on stage claiming 2nd place and I get bumped to 3rd. We both said where did you come from and we didnt see you all race-did you start in the wrong wave? confused look and he left without saying anything. NEver seen or heard of him in results before or since. Took $80 prizemoney from me too. At the time I was more amused than pissed off.....and flabbergasted that people bother doing it. We live in a day and age where you cant just sort them out on the spot unfortunately

Edited by Jimmy C

$20,000.00 in legal costs to TA

Hundreds of hours in cost to TWA with no ability to chase it.

And no Coach some of us wont let it be,some of your bleeding heart board members wanted to go soft on him.

At least you and only you asked questions during the board briefing.

It was clear during our meeting that David Ferrier and your board had no idea to the damage this clown did in perth.

The bloke is a seriel cheat who thrived on being patted on the back and having his ego stroked by his "great "results.

He is a narcacist a lier and represents the worst in our sport,i sat eyeballing him and he didnt give a toss about what he had done,absolutly no remorse in the slightest.

Coach please take on board what im saying in the intent its meant this sport is about the 99 percent of competitors who do the right thing.

Mark Robson is a cold calculating misdirected human being who has got his penalty due to his ego getting in the way.

On the night of the presentations at Busso he was asked twice once on stage and again after if perhaps he had started in the wrong wave.

If he had been smart enough to have said" hey sorry guys i must have cocked it up" he would still be racing today.....we only started digging from that point on and then the cards started to fall.And when his coach taps you on the shoulder and says i think not....well.

So should we let it be....yes eventually but not just yet

Theres more to this storey yet.

All of his results are in question.

Once you out out a release, you are asking for people to comment and run with it. No point at all advertising it if you dont want people to talk about it. As I said before, not sure about naming and shaming individuals in an amateur sport but it is what it is and as said, I care more about what I'm having for breakfast than this in terms of how it effects me.

Appreciate those that raced him may have a different view.

Now, if you want to exaggerate how good you are, you just say "I'm faster than Mark Robson".

• Like 1

Agree with most people here as in I don't get the logic of cheating. who is he actually cheating - himself clearly - if he can live with it thats his issue.

Anyway….. this great sport of ours has certain a uniqueness about it as it allows the following:

a) we get to race against pro's - very rare in any sport (amateurs v's pro's)

B) we get to race against our peers at the age group level

c) we get to race against ourselves.

For me my races are normally Nepean and 1 or 2 Ironman's. At Nepean i try to race my peers and this year i cam 7th in the age group 45-49 and I think 90th overall. In the ironman I aren't going to 'really compete at the level of me peers but at Busselton I did 10:39 (37th in age group and 363 overall).

My point is - I race against myself at the ironman level trying to better my times. What does this guy do and what does he achieve by cheating. He is cheating himself!!! Strange days indeed mama!!!!

It is cheating no doubt and way worse than PEDs IMO.

Of course everyone wants to win but seriously this is crazy. How can the guy honestly believe in his own results ?

Sure I know people that have taken shortcuts to get to the finish if they are been dropped in a race etc but that was only to get to the end quicker not to claim a place. The guy needs some serious help.

You have to read the kip story posted above. An insight as to how far some people will go.

We had a club member cheat at gundi a few years ago, he basically waited at the 300m end of swim in the river and jumped in with the elites, the funny thing is he is a good athlete but his ego gets the better of him. A female club member saw what he did and reported him. His piss poor exscuse was that he has an injury and it was only a training run for him . TA sent him a letter and he admitted fault but was not suspended. We had suspected his foul play for a long time, and he even done the same thing in the swim at a club race so he could keep up with the elite guys, he is a fast biker and runner and average swimmer, is it appropriate to name him on this forum ?

We had a club member cheat at gundi a few years ago, he basically waited at the 300m end of swim in the river and jumped in with the elites, the funny thing is he is a good athlete but his ego gets the better of him. A female club member saw what he did and reported him. His piss poor exscuse was that he has an injury and it was only a training run for him . TA sent him a letter and he admitted fault but was not suspended. We had suspected his foul play for a long time, and he even done the same thing in the swim at a club race so he could keep up with the elite guys, he is a fast biker and runner and average swimmer, is it appropriate to name him on this forum ?

Greyman is mysteriously quiet on this thread. :shy:

There's a bloke forum loving fellow from Shepparton with a few unanswered questions too

Greyman is mysteriously quiet on this thread. :shy:

There's a bloke forum loving fellow from Shepparton with a few unanswered questions too
  • Like 1

Hmmm, Shep must be the deceit centre of the Triathlon universe. Could it be that the 3 loop run course with lots of bushes disorientates tired athletes?

How 'bout all those people who cut the swim course at Melbourne IM in 2013?

Was talking about this with a mate yesterday.

TA need to get serious with course cutters in the swim.

1. Get numbers on caps

2. Get plenty of watercraft at the buoys with multiple cameras

3. Let everyone know they can be disqualified post race, yep even if they have just "finished" the ironman, if the footage is reviewed and is clear they have cut the course

It's bullshit how much it happens, see it frequently

I know people we say it can happen by accident by following someone, that's BS, know the course and sight properly.

If the officials see people without caps (accidentally or purposely removed) then they should be watched closely and stopped/followed if identified as a course cutter.

Might seem extreme but it's freakin annoying

Edited by tri_hard
  • Like 3

If the officials see people without caps (accidentally or purposely removed) then they should be watched closely and stopped/followed if identified as a course cutter.

If people start ripping their caps off to hide their numbers it'll be pretty obvious. I do all swims at the moment without my cap simply because they shit me and I've always hated wearing them. At all races I've competed in I am the only person not wearing the cap. I've never seen another person note wearing the provided cap. I'm not sure on the rules or if I'm breaking them by not wearing it but no ones ever said anything.

Could course cutting not be prevented entirely by timing mats being strategically placed so that you are forced to cover the entire course? Use more mats if necessary.

A GPS based timing chip should fix course cutters.

I wonder how far away live gps tracking in races is.

Especially now garmin has the ability to stream live.

Edited by RunBrettRun

If people start ripping their caps off to hide their numbers it'll be pretty obvious. I do all swims at the moment without my cap simply because they shit me and I've always hated wearing them. At all races I've competed in I am the only person not wearing the cap. I've never seen another person note wearing the provided cap. I'm not sure on the rules or if I'm breaking them by not wearing it but no ones ever said anything.

Could course cutting not be prevented entirely by timing mats being strategically placed so that you are forced to cover the entire course? Use more mats if necessary.

Prizna - from TA Competition Rules (July 2013)

Section 2 - Swimming Conduct

Subsection 2.5

A competitor must wear the race cap if provided by the Race Director. For aquathlons, or other multi-swim events the wearing of the swim cap if provided is compulsory for the first swim leg and optional in subsequent swim legs.

So yes. You must wear the swim cap which denotes your wave. I have never TO'd at the swim start (usually race referee is at start), but when I have been asked about caps either as a TO or as a volunteer at registration because some people don't want to wear them, I tell them it is in the rules, and is usually also outlined in the written race briefing provided to entrants.

I raced the enticer at Callala Bay in early December.. the sprint distance did the swim but it was cancelled for safety reasons for the enticer entrants, and was substituted for a beach run. Problem being, no one had their caps with them, so about 4 people started in the wave ahead of them and this wasn't picked up, so ended up with 15 second run times for a 600m beach run.

Why do people cheat in triathlon? I guess for no different reasons to why they cheat in any other aspect of life. Why do people steal other people's things, why do they speed, why to they disobey signs? To obtain an unfair advantage over others. Because they can. I guess they have no conscience.

Prizna - from TA Competition Rules (July 2013)

Section 2 - Swimming Conduct

Subsection 2.5

A competitor must wear the race cap if provided by the Race Director. For aquathlons, or other multi-swim events the wearing of the swim cap if provided is compulsory for the first swim leg and optional in subsequent swim legs.

So yes. You must wear the swim cap which denotes your wave. I have never TO'd at the swim start (usually race referee is at start), but when I have been asked about caps either as a TO or as a volunteer at registration because some people don't want to wear them, I tell them it is in the rules, and is usually also outlined in the written race briefing provided to entrants.

But it messes with my hair.

A swim cap will save you heaps of time... Unless you are bald.

I struggle to keep the suckers on. They just keep wanting to slide off my head.

at IMKY, at the very end of swim, i was angled in on the exit; and swam to the left of a bouy 10-15m out; a paddler stopped me about 5m from the steps, and asked me to go back around the bouy; which i did....

i didnt see it as course cutting, as i noticed ahead of me, others were hitting the left side of the bouy; and it was in a direct line. i still went back around it (although a bit pissed off at the time)

In the big scheme of things, taking a shortcut in a triathlon is probably fairly trivial, yet it still seems quite a morally corrupt thing to do and serves as a metaphor for how this guy is living his life. He's probably quite a disturbed individual deep down.

Edited by zed

In the big scheme of things, taking a shortcut in a triathlon is probably fairly trivial, yet it still seems quite a morally corrupt thing to do and serves as a metaphor for how this guy is living his life. He's probably quite a disturbed individual deep down.

taking a shortcut once is different to systematically doing it and trying to still accept primes, prizes, awards and qualification slots.

maybe we should do a 10 questions with mark robson?

I suppose it depends how it impacts other people as to really how trivial it is. Yes, it is just a hobby. But if he's taking prizemoney, qualification spots or sponsorship potential away from others, and this negatively affects their lives in a substantial way, then I wouldn't consider it trivial. But I know what you mean.

taking a shortcut once is different to systematically doing it and trying to still accept primes, prizes, awards and qualification slots.

When i said trivial, I meant compared to the starving kids in Africa etc etc, but yeah his systematic cheating and lack of contrition point to a mentally unhealthy individual. He's definitely missing a few pieces to his jigsaw puzzle.

maybe we should do a 10 questions with mark robson?

Question 1: Will you coach me?

I suppose it depends how it impacts other people as to really how trivial it is. Yes, it is just a hobby. But if he's taking prizemoney, qualification spots or sponsorship potential away from others, and this negatively affects their lives in a substantial way, then I wouldn't consider it trivial. But I know what you mean.

Yeah what i was trying to say is that his cheating is in a race may seem more trivial than say someone robbing a corner store, but looking deeper into it, the cheating is probably a bit more concerning.