Cleverboy

Mark Robson ? TA give 2 year Ban for what

Anyone know what he did?

Under the Triathlon Australia Member Protection Policy, Western Australia triathlete Mark Robson has been suspended from annual and one day membership of Triathlon Australia for a period of two years.

The sanction was imposed by the Board of Triathlon Australia after Triathlon Western Australia received complaints from several members about the actions of Mr Robson in triathlon events held in Western Australia between 2011 and 2013. After an initial review of the facts, Triathlon Western Australia refered the matter to Triathlon Australia. An investigation into the allegations was conducted by an independent firm of investigators and their report concluded that:

Mr Robson engaged in deliberate and pre-meditated actions to gain an unfair advantage in the 2013 IRONMAN 70.3 Busselton event.

On the balance of probabilities Mr Robson engaged in deliberate and pre-meditated actions to gain an unfair advantage in other significant triathlon events identified between 2011 and 2013.

Mr Robsons suspension commenced on 9 January 2014 and will conclude on 8 January 2016. During this time, he is ineligible for both annual and one day membership of Triathlon Australia. He has also been retrospectively disqualified from the four events identified and he is required to return any awards or prizes won at these races.

Any questions in relation to the sanctions should be addressed to Anne Gripper, the CEO of Triathlon Australia on 02 8488 6200 or info@triathlon.org.au.

I'm pretty sure there was an update on here from the RD of busso half and he mentioned they where looking into athletes that my have deliberately cut the run course and maybe gone in the wrong wave ( earlier wave ) to get an advantage

If this is the case I for one are very happy for TA to put a ban on him/them

Now let's hope they get tougher on drafting (cheating)also

Cheers

Ip

Wow so that's the notorious course cutter from WA. Good to see this being followed through by TA and also out in the open.

His Facebook page is public too. He did an ultramarathon last year. Wonder how many k's he really did.

Disclaimer: not normally an internet stalker bit the tennis is on. Not my thing.

2 years for cheating,that's what drugs is at the moment, seems fair.

Not sure i agree with the public release, its amateur sport but ain't going to lose any sleep over it, more concerned about my breakfast than a 2 year suspension for a cheat.

Mind you, if TA twitted this, it would seem appropriate as if the bloke has done what he has been convicted off, he is a twit. Lol.

Edited by Oompa Loompa

And runs quicker than Brad Khadafelt half way through a 70.3

And wins the swim overall.......new wetsuit helped !!!!

And improves by 1 hour 45 minutes in IMWA over 1 year.

And goes from a 4.32 70.3 to a 6.06 70.3......but only when followed the whole way.

And gets banned from his club...the biggest in perth

And was given numerous chances to come clean before it got to this.

And caused some heartache for his mates and training partners

And showed zero remorse at the end of the day

TWA did the work and handed over the info to TA for ratification and penalty.

A piece of work we could do without.

• Like 3

And goes from a 4.32 70.3 to a 6.06 70.3......but only when followed the whole way.

If he was a genuine 6 hour half IM guy and he put out a 4:30 it must have been bleeingly obvious that he was cheating just by looking at his body type

Anyone else nervous they might get banned for cutting the course ?

I heard someone might have taken a shortcut through T2 in an attempt to snare the worlds best time.

• Like 1

If he was a genuine 6 hour half IM guy and he put out a 4:30 it must have been bleeingly obvious that he was cheating just by looking at his body type

I went 4.30 so you can't judge on body type.
  • Like 3

The youtube vid's gone private! So in reality he's my pace - the only race I could go 4:30 at is an OD ;) Maybe he thought that's what he was doing and figured they got all the course markings wrong.

What a cock. Bragging rights for a good/better time, but knowing you went out early and then cut the course? Wow. At least the drug cheats actually do the full distance even if juiced up.

I went 4.30 so you can't judge on body type.

If your putting out a 4:30 your body will probably reflect that. However I have no idea what you look like but 4:30 bods don't generally look like 6 hour bods

Aren't you banned for competing in any sanctioned sport for drugs? Sadly ta can only sanction at events.

Yes, but like footy and other sports, if you cheat in them, other than for drugs, you're only banned from them, not everything. Hear your point though, with competition to triathlon going gang busters, you can just enter something else.

Would love to understand the motivation, appreciate people will theorise and judge as humans do but to actually understand the reason behind it all would be great.

And rattie, there was a trannie that cut the course at Busso in 2011?, the year me you and tgl made love on the last lap of the run, ran a split like kahlafedlt? too, with a missing timing mat to boot , thread got removed real quick. I think the difference probably is a one off cheating vs systemic as per the TA CEO comments. Mind you, fin man was a one off wasnt he ?

Do the WTC also ban them from their events, like can "old mate" duck over to kiwi ville and do IMNZ etc ? Imagine TA would notify all ITU countries and he is banned from sanctioned events world wide.

Coach, you're on the board, is it world wide ala ITU nations?

Edited by Oompa Loompa

Was he doing it for a laugh and piss take or was he seriously cutting the course ?

If he was they guy needs some serious help with his mental health.

For all of you saying someone cut the course at this race or that. REPORT THEM!

People saw him cut at earlier races and did nothing about it and this made the situation worse for all involved

I don't know what events the bans are for .

He took a Vegas spot in one event.

WTC would have to strip of that surely, wonder what their refund policy is ? Lol

Sounds like there was also suspicions from other events he'd entered. Maybe there'd been a watchful eye on him for a while.

Our last club race there was someone I know racing who, while a fast swimmer, isn't a fast triathlete (about 3:30+ OD, 7:30+ hotw). I was in a different wave but expected to catch them on the bike, maybe the run. I was on the bike with a few laps to go when I saw them out of T2 on the run, with one of the faster guys from their wave (5hr 70.3) about to overtake them on the run, which had me doing a double take! Then later saw them nearing the end of the run, and this guy was a good 500+mtrs behind them and they were finished before I started the run. I saw them as I headed to dismount and yelled out 'which race did you do', with them replying 'A' (A being a full sprint distance). When I headed out of T2 they did yell back 'I took a shortcut'. Haven't seen the results yet, but I wonder if they said anything. I mean, we swim in a 25mtr pool and I suck at counting, and once hopped out of the pool thinking I'd counted right but my time seemed faster than I thought I could do, so exiting T2 I passed the RD and told him I think I may have shorted one lap in the swim, and that was noted in my results.

Now there's no sheep stations up for grabs at our races, but I just figure that that's the right thing to do.

It dawned on me only this year that if you were determined to cheat, the easiest way to do it would be to buy a collection of different coloured swim caps and start in an earlier wave than your peers. Mind you, being in one of the older age groups, I could just claim memory loss and start whenever I wanted to.

I caused a ruckus (ok, wasn't a ruckus, but were a few concerns) at mool 70.3 cause my mate was in the wave behind me so I just waited for his to start. But a helper and TO were trying to write my number down and sort out my timing etc, and I was like, I don't care about the 2mins extra. Just forget it. But they sounded like it was an issue. So is that kind of like a bizarro world cheat?

Don't forget when he tried to claim fastest overall age group swim at Busso 70.3 and collect then attempted to collect prime of free entry to this years race!

If TA let TO's drag a whole group to the side of the road and release them one by one that might start getting a handle on the drafters.

• Like 1

There was this guy once at Port Mac IM who ran 30-40km period quicker than Tim Berkel but finished just inside 17hours.... Oh never mind

• Like 5

And the caffeine abusers...

It's not banned pal. And even when it was it was for way above the 300 mg I take I'm pre race.

http://www.teachpe.com/drugs/caffeine.php

"Up until 2004 caffeine was on the prohibited substances list, with athletes being limited to a urine level below 12 micrograms per millilitre. This is equivalent to 6-8 cups of coffee (600-800mg). Performance enhancing effects have since been proven at a much lower intake, between 2-4 cups of coffee (200-400mg)."

Suggest you wake up and smell the coffee ;)

http://www.acsm.org/docs/current-comments/caffeineandexercise.pdf

Edited by Mjainoz
  • Like 1

My ol' mate, ex Tokyo resident who was first AGer in IM Melbourne, IMWA (8.48) and 4th in his AG in Kona last year; cut the run course in a Taiwan 70.3 in 2011. Ie of my mates saw him do it and I was 2nd off the bike and did not see him pass me but he was at the finish line ahead of me. After he shared the podium with me and first thing he said to me was "how's living in Tokyo now after the nuclear thing" (he'd moved to HK just before the tsunami) I thought 'fark you' and decided to chase it up, never liked the bloke much anyway. He denied it but on my insistence the organizers took away his Vegas slot that he'd claimed but his results still stand in the books and he had no censure. He emailed me after Phuket 70.3 a month later, letting me know he'd re-qualified for Vegas. He got no reply to that one.

With that AG survey and that sort of history it does make me wonder about his improvements. No doubt he is a very hard trainer, but I'm nowhere near the podium in Kona but beat him by 5mins in Ishigaki 2011, and now he's doing this just 2 years later. Things that make you go hmmmm.

What about if add up your own bike split times and then claim a really fast ride split ?

• Like 1

There was this guy once at Port Mac IM who ran 30-40km period quicker than Tim Berkel but finished just inside 17hours.... Oh never mind

Your best post in years

Kahlefeldt??? There are Kenyans who would have been happy of a couple of those splits...

I was there, he didn't run, he stepped into a portaloo that turned out to be the Tardis.

Friggin lucky heh.

What about if add up your own bike split times and then claim a really fast ride split ?

Even though I posted the entire circumstances around what happened that day several times and when I mentioned the spilt it was in the context of aerodynamics I can see how an Einstein like you would think that is exactly the same as course cutting.

Not sure why that riles you so much anyway. I was in the best riding shape of my life that day and am proud of how I rode even with the flat. Have you ever averaged 262 watts and 39kph solo for a 180km ride even with a 30min stop for a flat/coffee?

Took a few Es back in the day and drove over the speed limit once too so I guess that is the same as doping?

• Like 3

Just been over on Swissman site and looking at the entry list for this year. Noticed there was a Mark Robson entered (it had a NZ flag next to him, but I think it should be Aus flag)

Funnily enough, most entrants have a bio of themselves with photo included, not this dude though. Just wondering if it's him.

www.suixtri.com

(Page 12 of entry list)

• Like 1

Even though I posted the entire circumstances around what happened that day several times and when I mentioned the spilt it was in the context of aerodynamics I can see how an Einstein like you would think that is exactly the same as course cutting.

Not sure why that riles you so much anyway. I was in the best riding shape of my life that day and am proud of how I rode even with the flat. Have you ever averaged 262 watts and 39kph solo for a 180km ride even with a 30min stop for a flat/coffee?

Took a few Es back in the day and drove over the speed limit once too so I guess that is the same as doping?

That was a 4:37? Think you showed a picture of the computer so I reckon it counts. Now is the 30 minutes make it a touch over 5 or are you claiming 4:37 minus the stop?

Just been over on Swissman site and looking at the entry list for this year. Noticed there was a Mark Robson entered (it had a NZ flag next to him, but I think it should be Aus flag)

Funnily enough, most entrants have a bio of themselves with photo included, not this dude though. Just wondering if it's him.

www.suixtri.com

(Page 12 of entry list)

My coach has a friend called Mark Robson in the UK. Don't know if he's a triathlete or doing this race but they're both fairly common names so I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few "Mark Robson's" out there racing triathlon.

You would think if TA believe it's important enough to out the guy publicly like this they'd spread the word amongst it's fellow national bodies.

Yeah, maybe. Seeing he'd done Celtman though, thought it might add up.

Mind you, looking at the Swissman course though, there's no hiding in a 5200mt elevation gain!!

Please explain ?

He has completed some tough events that are unquestionable. Can't cut the course on a pont to point ocean swim. So he is not someone who needs to cheat to finish before cutoff. I don't understand the logic in cheating.

• Like 1

So... I am no expert and this is hypothetical; but on point to point swims, you could always get on/in a craft for instance... This is in no way a reference to this dude

Edited by Steno