Secteur Pave

challenge gold coast bike course. strava.

Hey SP - is it true there's a hill in the ride that people might have to get off their bike and walk - as it's so steep???

:dolphin:

Well the boss (female 40 odd years old 6:11 at cairns 70.3) rode up it this morning on her Cannondale EVO with a 34x28, But yes there is a HILL it has steep sections. There will be many many walking and just as many riding it.

Just sign up, great bike course. I saw three horses, a kangaroo, a family of ducks and more wildlife out the back. Oh make sure everything is doneup tight on the bike bit bumpy in sections. :sleepy:

• Like 1

Thanks SP - I'm already entered. Funny thing - I ride the same bike as your boss, but with a 27 on the back! But I do have compact cranks, so hopefully it'll be okay!

Do you recommend riding on a TT bike - or a Roadie! If the hill is that severe, perhaps the roadie with clip on bars might be a better option?!?!?

My TT bike does have compact cranks and a 27 on the back as well, but I'm just not sure it would be such a comfortable ride, considering all the hills!!!

Hey SP - is it true there's a hill in the ride that people might have to get off their bike and walk - as it's so steep???

There were people walking the short hill at Hervey Bay, so I'm guessing there will be a few walking this one!

As for bike, I'd ride a TT. There is enough flat & steady incline/decline stuff to warrant one over a roadie.

Yep TT bike all the way just get used to selecting the right gear before you need it. Trying to sit mid climb and change gears might be hard. If ever there was a course to demonstrate a Di2 advantage by having base bar and extensions shifters this is it ha ha. Oh and its very undulating charge those di2 batteries theyll get a work out.

Hmmm - my road bike has di2 so was thinking it might be a better option for this type of ride than a TT bike - that doesn't!!! Think I'll go ride it and see how it pans out!!!

We were told to ride roadies in Japan IM, but a TT bike would have been alright, considering the amount of hill training we did leading up to it!!!

Nah TOOL up with all the goodies. I'll be rokn the tt bike with disc trii spoke aero helmet ....... all the toys. I still think at 8.? Kg it'll be quicker then my 6.4kg roadie. Think the guys that run the 4water bottle setups might rethink it almost 4 extra kg to lug up those Hills. .... ouch.

• Like 1

I just did the ride yesterday with 7 others of our club, it's an amazing course! Team T-Rex was also out training on the course. If I have ever been glad I changed my Shiv to Di2 (including brake shifters) it's now... The last 10km into town will be interesting, I guess many will try to make up time and get burned for it (considering the run isn't flat either...). Looking forward to it!

Edit to add my own Strava file, we overshot the middle "finger" of the course and found this AMAZING hill

http://www.strava.com/activities/148346639

Edited by Joostoz

Agree its a beautiful course. I reckon a few might cook themselves on the false flats out to the rock pools and out to the end of talle valley.

Sounds like it is def worth a trail run before the day. I dont know the area well, is any traffic on a Sat / Sun morning?

I've never had any issues with traffic out in either valley and ride there regularly. The roads are narrow in parts so stay left as much as possible. The drivers out there seem to be used to cyclists now, unlike the rest of the coast.

Sounds like it is def worth a trail run before the day. I dont know the area well, is any traffic on a Sat / Sun morning?

Have run and ridden those roads regularly with no dramas.

This event is on the weekend before Challenge GC if you want a sample of the local roads plus some extra hill running...

http://www.tomewinmountainchallenge.com.au/home

Agree its a beautiful course. I reckon a few might cook themselves on the false flats out to the rock pools and out to the end of talle valley.

Don't let on all our secrets mate!!!

At that time of year not many heading to the rock pools, too bloody cold they all head to the beach. The bike course is getting busier every weekend now lots of clubs doing group rides with support vehicles in tow.

How does the hill relate to something like cootha was thinking doing the river loop then lap of cootha for some training ?

Cootha is a few km long at 9%

Goldy 'the beast' or whatever they call it is only a couple of hundred metres but 16% or 18%. My sister rode it in her big chain ring the other day, you'll be right.

• Like 1

Cootha is a few km long at 9%

Goldy 'the beast' or whatever they call it is only a couple of hundred metres but 16% or 18%. My sister rode it in her big chain ring the other day, you'll be right.

It's fine to say she did it in the big chain ring but put it in perspective, was she puchin out mid 30's for the first section of the course before she hit it. The course is very undulating and has 3 other hills worth mentioning and also a fair stretch of false flats. If the beast doesn't hurt u these will!!

It's fine to say she did it in the big chain ring but put it in perspective, was she puchin out mid 30's for the first section of the course before she hit it. The course is very undulating and has 3 other hills worth mentioning and also a fair stretch of false flats. If the beast doesn't hurt u these will!!

and you get up me for giving away the secrets?

I'm as shit as they come on the bike and can't see any reason any bloke 30-34 years of age couldn't do this whole course in the big chain ring.

Maybe that why I've moved up to the 35 - 39AG RBR :-(

thank god. I was going to throw everything at the run to try my best to catch you. Now it doesn't affect me or my result :-D

How beneficial would a pre race ride be? I'm trying to decide if I can be bothered going down the coast for a reco ride this weekend.

I"m not racing for podium or even top guys, I'm unfit and fat so not overly concerned if I lose a few minutes.

Thought about going down as well but couldn't be bothered in the end so will just follow everyone else on the day :). Will be riding the 'heavy' bike with disc so if nothing else will give the legs a good work out.

How beneficial would a pre race ride be? I'm trying to decide if I can be bothered going down the coast for a reco ride this weekend.

I"m not racing for podium or even top guys, I'm unfit and fat so not overly concerned if I lose a few minutes.

Weather is supposed to be crap if that helps you with the decision. If it was looking like yesterday I'd be there in a shot.

I rode the course with my brother on Saturday afternoon. I had entered but I decided to withdraw after not doing enough swim training. I think the course is fine for a TT bike, just change to your lowest gear well before the hill :)

Weather is supposed to be crap if that helps you with the decision. If it was looking like yesterday I'd be there in a shot.

How did you work the weather forecast out? Every day seems to be the same here.

How did you work the weather forecast out? Every day seems to be the same here.

Apparently the rains are coming.

Just a hint

if you are coming down to try the course

PLEASE TAKE YOUR RUBBISH WITH YOU!!! :taz:

I hate negative press against our sport :smile1::smile1:

Hey SP, with your Stava Data, how come the beast says a 4% grade. Is it not that accurate?

Scratch that comment above. I logged in and can see the gradients.....holy sheeet.....this ride has me scared now...

Edited by Prince

If you're 30-34 ag just stay home.

If u swim and run like u did on the weekend u have nothin to worry about mate!!

Very wet weekend predicted for SE Qld.

I think you have the wrong weekend. This weekend very wet, the one after when the race is on, not so much.

If u swim and run like u did on the weekend u have nothin to worry about mate!!

The fact I'll ride close to 5 hours means the other two legs are pretty meaningless ;-)

I think you have the wrong weekend. This weekend very wet, the one after when the race is on, not so much.

Yes, i was referring to this weekend, Prizna mentioned he was considering a ride on course this weekend.

Ridden the course 3 times , pushed bike up hill twice and 3rd time had a crack and got about half way, not enough legs and/or gears. Heard a rumour they are laying some type of matting up side of road for walkers and having catchers. I will be one of the walkers. Good thing is it isn't a long hill, probably take a couple of minutes to ride and about 5 minutes to walk.

Ridden the course 3 times , pushed bike up hill twice and 3rd time had a crack and got about half way, not enough legs and/or gears. Heard a rumour they are laying some type of matting up side of road for walkers and having catchers. I will be one of the walkers. Good thing is it isn't a long hill, probably take a couple of minutes to ride and about 5 minutes to walk.

The "Beast" is more of a kitten. Similar hills in and around Brisbane include Gap Creek Road. Little pinch but over before you know it.

The best place to train for it is rides such as Brookfield (Upper Brookfield Road)

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd let you know - I've ridden "The Beast" twice - once on my roadie and once on the TT and I managed to get up both times! I am NOT a hill rider at all - I'll be very lucky to finish this ride in 6 hrs - so that should give you some perspective!

I have a 27 on the back of both bikes - roadie is Di2 and it was much easier to get up than the TT bike! I was also dealing with cars who don't like cyclists - during each ride

I'm more concerned about going down The Beast on the way back - it builds up speed very quickly!