prizna

Between the bars bottles with garmin

prizna    525

I want to carry a bottle between the bars because I like the ease of access and it has less drag than other locations.

There are 4 options I know of all suck for me. I was wondering if anyone has other suggestions?

Xlab - won't work cause I ride with a Garmin 800, the mount at the front is too close to the bottle and the 800 is too big to fit. I could go back to my 910xt but it's limited to 4 small display options which isn't ideal with power metre.

Profile design - the bracket it sits on fits between 90mm and 120mm I currently have a 75mm gap for between the bars. I could widen but don't know what implications this will have on my fit. I'm currently sized with through a retul fit for a semi aggressive position. Along with some people complain that the computer mounted at the back is too far back to view whilst riding down on bars. (I could work with this though)

speedfill z4 - I was using this for a while until I realised that having the distance of a 58cm frame, mount on top of a bottle where the bottle could be blocking the signal is most likely causing signal strength issues rendering the computer and pm useless.

Standard cage with computer behind bottle on stem - Best option I have so far, only downside is the computer is quite far back similar to profile design but manageable.

All of these kind of suck for me so I was wondering if anyone has other suggestions. I'm not afraid to use zip ties and doesnt have to be stylish so long as its practical.

MountainMan    906

Standard cage in reversed position so you remove and replace the bottle toward you. Then place the Garmin up the front end of the aero bars.

• Like 1

prizna    525

I've tried this but issue comes with narrow bars again. What do I mount the garmin on? I've tried one of those plastic cylinder stick things, I can't remember what they are called but it attaches so that you can have places to mount equipment as if on a roadie. This doesn't fit between my bars. However I could try your idea with a barfly mount (if it fits) Thanks MM.

Lostkiwi    151

Standard cage in reversed position so you remove and replace the bottle toward you. Then place the Garmin up the front end of the aero bars.

Yip, use the barfly. Should work. I use the xlab mount with the bottle backwards.

Ironnerd    330

The following thread on ST has information on the X-Lab BTA bottle and mounting a Garmin 500/800.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=4850527;search_string=x-lab%20garmin%20800;#4850527

The X-Lab rep is active on that thread and will answer any questions posted to it.

TrinewB    232

Have you tried making your own mount? I made one from a plastic pipe and used zip ties. You need a dremmel though.

TenPints    727

prizna,

It's not clear from the above, but have you tried the XLab torpedo mount, with the XLab computer mount attached at the end of the torpedo (furthest away from the base bar)?

Below is the picture of my set-up, with the backwards facing bottle cage (I have the XLab Torpedo Bottle - the bottle with straw - on order to see how that works). The computer is an old Edge 305, which has a height of 94mm of, your 800 has a height of 93mm, so I would have thought it would fit using this set-up.

compbidonmount.jpg

Turts    1,938

I'm with TriNewB too.

I have an xlab torpedo, bottle comes out towards me. In front of that I used 2 zipties and a small section of garden hose to make a bridge between the aero extensions. Then used the standard mount the garmin came with to attach as with straight on your bar (the disc with 2 ruber o-rings).

I have a 500.

KT05    40

This thread has been done previously.

Worth a search.

I have a profile aero bottle up front with some black conduit zip tied to the bars beyond the bottle mount. I then mount a k-edge off the conduit for my 500. Easy.

Harts    245

I'm running an xlab torpedo400 and just got a normal garmin mount and drilled a small hole in the centre. Then took the bolt that holds the flexible straw down out and put the garmin mount on top. I'm use a garmin 810 and it works perfectly.

Andrew #1    821

I've got a xlab tordepo between the bars and put my xt910 on the left hand flat 'bull horn' part of my tri bars (Bontrager TT bars). Simple and effective.

Edited by Andrew #1

alexholbrook    144

I used sheet aluminum to create a mount for the bottle cage. Basically it's screwed into where the vision arm rests extra holes where you can adjust the width of tbe rests of the bars. It's a bit hard to explain but it gives you the drift. The bottle sits a little higher than your arms but it works well.

I got the sheet aluminim fron a sign that they use all around towns. Dad works for Council so he picked it up out of the bin. I don't suggest that you steal a sign though but ask your local council to see if they have anything lying around.

p mcleod    12

I've just used a couple of orings, very solid and can adjust the mounting position any way you like. The bottle is mounted behind the Garmin in either forward or reverse .510mountTT_zps41a76cb3.jpg

Edited by p mcleod

lucky7    97

I've got a 56cm frame and have no issues with the Z4. Wouldn't have thought the additional distance would have any impact on signal - mine picks up the PM from a couple of metres away.

prizna    525

I've got a 56cm frame and have no issues with the Z4. Wouldn't have thought the additional distance would have any impact on signal - mine picks up the PM from a couple of metres away.

Consisntantly? No drop outs?

lucky7    97

Haven't had any issues at all. I have the opening facing away from me, which puts the mount almost directly under my chin when riding on the extensions. I had it around the other way, but wasn't as easy to glance down at the watch.

prizna    525

Haven't had any issues at all. I have the opening facing away from me, which puts the mount almost directly under my chin when riding on the extensions. I had it around the other way, but wasn't as easy to glance down at the watch.

What PM you riding? Could put out stronger signal than vectors?

prizna    525

Quarq PM. My garmin will pick up the PM from the next room when I turn it on.

Cheers, sort of confirmed my suspicion.