kanga

North Sydney/City pool options

I run/ride most days from the wilds of Lane Cove into the city, and am thinking of doing some swim training on the way to work. The three obvious options without too much of a detour are Lane Cove Olympic/Bluefit, North Sydney Olympic, and Boy Charlton. I've checked out the websites, prices etc, but curious to hear others' experiences at the facilities, quieter days/times to go etc. Work and life in general make getting to classes/squads too hard most weeks, so just looking to churn out a few laps 1-2 a week without being swamped by kids or serious insects. Not really a gym bunny, and would rather a 50+ metre pool than getting dizzy in a typical indoor gym pool. Probably asking way too much, but no harm asking.

Thanks,

Kanga

Not asking too much at all, North Sydney and Boy Charlton brilliant with a capital B.

Not many kids, and not crowded, especially outside of lunch time.

Boy Charlton pips North Sydney for tranquility early in the morning.

If Boy Charlton is a an option then Cook n Phillip prob. works also. esp as a Winter venue when Boy is closed.

http://www.cookandphillip.org.au (Can't use paddles there though ..and in general I hate it as a pool..)

For Boy Charlton I would check when Vlad Swim training is on an avoid that time as less busy

If Boy Charlton is a an option then Cook n Phillip prob. works also. esp as a Winter venue when Boy is closed.

http://www.cookandphillip.org.au (Can't use paddles there though ..and in general I hate it as a pool..)

For Boy Charlton I would check when Vlad Swim training is on an avoid that time as less busy

Is this a rule? What possible reason could there be for that?

Prince Alfred Park Pool is right next to central and is pretty nice, reasonably quiet from 7.30am-9am as well. Before that there are 2-3 tri squads training there most days.

Is this a rule? What possible reason could there be for that?

Prince Alfred Park Pool is right next to central and is pretty nice, reasonably quiet from 7.30am-9am as well. Before that there are 2-3 tri squads training there most days.

Explained to me as skinny lanes. Wide arm swings go into other lanes.

Pain in the butt IMO. Crap pool anyhow.

North Sydney is a great pool and in an ideal location for a quick stop on the bike before continuing on over the bridge. Facilities are good - my only complaint is that I'm too miserly to pay for hot shower tokens so the pre/post-swim rinse is done cold. There are a lot of morning swimmers but they are generally well-behaved and anyone not adibing by the rules is quickly pulled up by one of the old codgers that rule the place.

North Sydney is a great pool and in an ideal location for a quick stop on the bike before continuing on over the bridge. Facilities are good - my only complaint is that I'm too miserly to pay for hot shower tokens so the pre/post-swim rinse is done cold. There are a lot of morning swimmers but they are generally well-behaved and anyone not adibing by the rules is quickly pulled up by one of the old codgers that rule the place.

You have to pay for hot water? That's tough.

I swim at N Sydney most week days. Great pool, generally I've found quietest times are 2PM - 4PM. Winter and wet days are great, very quiet with very few swimmers outside of morning peak. Only downside for me is you can't use paddles.

Sneak down to northbridge baths. Awesome spot with 50m lanes and free with hot showers and changerooms. Just don't tell anyone.

Might be too early, but there is a bunch of us (8-15) oldies(ish) that do an informal (free) squad at Nth Sydney Mon/wed/fri at 5.45. About 3kms in total. You 're always welcome to join.

i agree with your thoughts on cook and phillip. Theres something about swimming in a concrete box that just doesnt feel rite. i do swim there because of the convenience to work, but man its a struggle to get motivated there some times.

Great info, thanks guys. Might try NS and BC out a couple of times each and look to get a bulk entry pack. Thanks for the heads up Melt, bit early, but could be tempted. Let me get the swimming mojo going and I'll come along.