Sign in to follow this  
clarkey

Hater's gunna hate?

2N4A4443.jpg

2N4A4459.jpg

2N4A4496.jpg

I myself, not a fan. When I come home from a ride I don't dare look up the skirt of my bike because it's just all dried up and nasty. Whether it's been done for aesthetics, aero-pro-preformance, better braking ability or just a niche in the market - it's not dope.

Read the full review; http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/12/trek-madone-7-series-review/

Tyno the front is integrated into the fork shape not a standard brake. The rear brake actually stats surprisingly clean and trouble free. I have a 5 series, and my only complaint is that it is matte white and a beyatch to keep clean.

If it's any recommendation I tested one, and before I returned he test bike I had ordered my own.

I think they look really nice, the only thing that is shit on them is the shifting cables are incredibly poorly implemented with no internal liners at all. The are a complete bitch to replace a single cable, turning a 5 minute job into a 40 minute job without any obvious benefit - in fact the shifting quality on a brand new one I fixed last week was as shit as a roadie tends to get.

Trek need to up their game beyond aesthetics and into usability - there is no way any protour mechanic would put up with that shit. I'll have a look at the team bikes in January and will be shocked if they are stock.

The rear brake actually stats surprisingly clean and trouble free. I have a 5 series, and my only complaint is that it is matte white and a beyatch to keep clean.

If it's any recommendation I tested one, and before I returned he test bike I had ordered my own.

So Roxii, you smokin' hot hunk - Did you notice much of a difference in breaking performance? I can't legitimately understand how moving the rear brake from the top of the seatstays to the bottom/under the chainstays would change the way in which the brake reacts to the rim of the wheel - unless it affects the way in which/where the pressure is applied? I'm not smart women.

I'll have a look at the team bikes in January and will be shocked if they are stock.

PeePee, are you saying you don't think Trek sponsored riders will be using the Madone 7 Series?

Edited by clarkey

I wouldn't say it brakes noticeably better, but I don't think it's any worse. And when researching it said part of the reason for moving the brake was to get rid of the brake bridge and allow them to engineer the stays with a single function and keeping the ride quality as good as possible.

As for shifting, I'm on dura ace 11 speed di2 , so it's not a problem.

Been riding a 7 Series for 3 months...........beautiful ride.

Pee Pee sums it up perfectly from a practicality sense. Ridability for MAMIL's is excellent.

Incredible bike for all round everyday B,C,D grade riders

I think the main reason for this placement of the rear brake on a road frame of this type is not for aesthetics or aerodynamics but weight savings. The BB area is already heavily reinforced but now the brake arch is not needed and the seat stays don't need reinforcement in that area.

Edited by Slowman

I wouldn't say it brakes noticeably better, but I don't think it's any worse. And when researching it said part of the reason for moving the brake was to get rid of the brake bridge and allow them to engineer the stays with a single function and keeping the ride quality as good as possible.

As for shifting, I'm on dura ace 11 speed di2 , so it's not a problem.

Perhaps I'm cynical and think the talk of ride quality is to mask the fact that Trek like many others are well and truly in a race to make frames lighter...because, plain and simple, it is a selling point. Everyone that can will tell you how light their frame is (if it is up with the leaders in the field). Edited by Slowman

We're talking about 2013 technology here as though its just been released....

Sorry to upset the hipsters. Did you know about it back in 2011?

Perhaps I'm cynical and think the talk of ride quality is to mask the fact that Trek like many others are well and truly in a race to make frames lighter...because, plain and simple, it is a selling point. Everyone that can will tell you how light their frame is (if it is up with the leaders in the field).

bearing in mind that, although it doesnt look like it, it is an aero frame, using Treks Kammtail airfoil profile, so ride quality is a big selling point with aero bikes because up until very recently aero bikes would rattle your fillings out. This one just rides like a good road bike should, but with aero tubes. I have also heard the Propel rides really well too and in the aero bike stakes I think trek brakes are better than Giants, plus with the advantage that the Trek can take shimanos dura ace direct mount brakes as well.

bearing in mind that, although it doesnt look like it, it is an aero frame, using Treks Kammtail airfoil profile, so ride quality is a big selling point with aero bikes because up until very recently aero bikes would rattle your fillings out. This one just rides like a good road bike should, but with aero tubes. I have also heard the Propel rides really well too and in the aero bike stakes I think trek brakes are better than Giants, plus with the advantage that the Trek can take shimanos dura ace direct mount brakes as well.

Roxii, can we agree it's semi-aero? :lol: that seat tube is just round, unless this Kammtail design fools the air into completely flowing around the rider's legs instead of between them and at the seat tube, I reckon it is an aero liability! But it is lighter for sure. I am just about to add the finishing touches to my Venge I reckon just looking at the rear stays it will have enough vertical compliance to be as comfortable as my Tarmac. And I'll put it's looks against the Madone any day! Still I don't mind the Madone either.

Slowy, on the madone, head tube, down tube, seat tube and stays are all KVF aero tubes, what that is all worth is debatable but they are there and are all " aero " tubes.