Christmas party etiquette

Clappers

A couple of weeks ago I was riding to work at 7.30AM on a normally very quiet backroad of Camden when a mercedes M class SUV with a very distinctive licence plate came flying past me. I was riding on the white line, the car made no attempt to give me any room the wing mirror missed my head by a couple of cm, the car didn't even notice I was there, I stuggled to control the bike as there was a gravel ditch on the left side.Ive been riding to work for over 15 years and have developed a pretty thick skin but even I was a bit shaken up.
Anyway last night we were invited to a christmas party by some of the parents of the school my kids go to, as we pulled up into the driveway and what did I spot - The mercedes SUV!!! What do you do ?

• Ignore the near death experience, eat canapes drink wine and make small talk
  • or politely point out to your host that she nearly killed you a couple of weeks ago

I chose the latter and my wife has never been so embarrassed in her life and won't speak to me ?

What would you have done? I know nearly all of you lot would of had a word but would anyone of bitten their lip and just smiled?

Well said sharkbait !!!!!!!

And yes I would have discussed the incident with the driver........... They may not have even realised it had happened and will make a point of taking greater care in the future.

It's not only about how the incident could gave affected you, but about trying to improve driver awareness and education

I would have talked to her privately. Or told the story about almost being hit & waited for to figure it out.

If you put on the spot in front of everyone it was never going to end well.

But that's just me.

humdrum would have just knocked the bitch out......

Straight up "you could have killed me" comment for me, they endangered your life, so think you did the right thing. Had a similar incident outside my boy's school where a woman turned across me, full anchors and a slide, very scary. Next day picking my lad up, and saw the car - went up and had a word.

Have you explained to your wife that you may just have saved another cyclists life with your actions? As sb_au mentioned, she could have been attending the party on her own.

And yes I would have discussed the incident with the driver........... They may not have even realised it had happened and will make a point of taking greater care in the future.

It's not only about how the incident could gave affected you, but about trying to improve driver awareness and education

Agree with you but the outcome you expect isn't always the one you get.

2 weeks ago riding back from Samford on the downhill stretch towards Brisbane so sitting on 45-50kph, nice wide straight road, 8am, riding on the white line at the edge of the road this learner driver in a driving school car comes very close (easily inside a meter). About a couple of k's down the road it s now 3 lanes at the traffic lights and the L driver is in the middle lane with the driving instructor, arm out of the window, spouting forth his wisdom to the driver. I shouted (nicely!) to him - hey, can you give us 1m next time? At that point this instructor just goes off - shouting back about how we cyclists have done ourselves no favours, that I've now damaged his pupils respect for cyclists forever, (he's banging the dashboard at this point!). Me and my mate are just looking at him a bit stunned. My mate who was riding behind me then reiterates the 'all we want is 1m and that is what you should be teaching' comment.

Then came the 'it was too dangerous to cross the centre white line so where else did you think we should be driving?' remark. Got to say at this point I'm just stunned that a professional instructor would be thinking and reinforcing that crap. He then added 'and I've got it on camera!'. Response of course then was happy to go to the local cop shop for a chat and a viewing if you would like? A bit more dashboard hitting followed, lights changed and they were off.

I'm teaching my daughter to drive at the moment and she gets it without me needing to say anything - if its not safe don't pass. How hard is it?

We have just come back from a cycling trip in Europe. Never once did I feel threatened or scared on the roads. You are treated like a king when you are on a bike. When cars passed us, they moved to the other side of the road to pass. If something was coming in the other direction, they simply sat behind us for the short amount of time it took for that car to pass by. It was really amazing and proved that sharing the road can be done!!

As for the idiot comment from the driving instructor ..... yes, we do expect you to wait the extra 20 seconds (or however long it is) until it is safe to pass. Isn't that common sense for heaven sakes!!

We have just come back from a cycling trip in Europe. Never once did I feel threatened or scared on the roads. You are treated like a king when you are on a bike. When cars passed us, they moved to the other side of the road to pass. If something was coming in the other direction, they simply sat behind us for the short amount of time it took for that car to pass by. It was really amazing and proved that sharing the road can be done!!

As for the idiot comment from the driving instructor ..... yes, we do expect you to wait the extra 20 seconds (or however long it is) until it is safe to pass. Isn't that common sense for heaven sakes!!

Same in Thailand, nuts driving but gave me room in the hills, most happy!! :smile1::smile1::smile1:

I take it personally when people threaten my life and my safety. Your wife needs to get her head in the right place on this instead of wanting to grease up to the lady in the Merc. It's cut and dried, if she doesn't think your safety takes priority over her desire to get a seat on the A table then truly you'd have to question whether you are with the right partner. That is the kind of conversation you need to have...that is provided the way you went about saying something to this lady was polite and proper and the F word was used less than 15 times :lol:

A couple of weeks ago I was riding to work at 7.30AM on a normally very quiet backroad of Camden when a mercedes M class SUV with a very distinctive licence plate came flying past me. I was riding on the white line, the car made no attempt to give me any room the wing mirror missed my head by a couple of cm, the car didn't even notice I was there, I stuggled to control the bike as there was a gravel ditch on the left side.Ive been riding to work for over 15 years and have developed a pretty thick skin but even I was a bit shaken up.

Anyway last night we were invited to a christmas party by some of the parents of the school my kids go to, as we pulled up into the driveway and what did I spot - The mercedes SUV!!! What do you do ?

• Ignore the near death experience, eat canapes drink wine and make small talk
  • or politely point out to your host that she nearly killed you a couple of weeks ago
I chose the latter and my wife has never been so embarrassed in her life and won't speak to me ?

What would you have done? I know nearly all of you lot would of had a word but would anyone of bitten their lip and just smiled?

Threaten my life and safety and my kids not having a parent, you are total fair game. Everyone i have ever fronted is as weak as piss... But then you gotta be prepared to stand up for humanity, karma will always be on your side unless they are bigger than me with better reflexes and lets be fair dinkum for a moment, rare day in hell that is going to happen.

Call them out every time

I would have kidnapped her kids and held them captive for a while.

After I drowned the dog in the spa.

Funny story, I was at a BBQ once, hosts dog starts rooting my leg, everyone laughs except me, anyway hosts come get there dog, 5 mins later, its back rooting my leg again, all the funny comments and laughter, i pick the dog up by the neck like you would a cat and put the hosts dog in the green waste bin, close the lid and walk back to my seat and continued drinking my beer. Total silence ....lol.

She was really shocked and apologetic,so it was hard to get too angry with her I ended up apologising to her for bringing it up I think she genuinely just didnt see me even though I have LED lights on my saddle bag and helmet and have one of those flourescent yellow backpack covers.

On the whole drivers around Camden wollondillyshire area are very good and the cars vs cyclists war on the roads hasn't spread this far west, only on friday morning a lady in red hyundai getz slowed down behind me passed when it was safe smiled and waved.

The mrs is talking to me again some of her other friends pointed out the she did nearlly seriously injure/kill your me and it wasn't unreasonable to bring it up, but thanks for all the suggestions

Funny story, I was at a BBQ once, hosts dog starts rooting my leg, everyone laughs except me, anyway hosts come get there dog, 5 mins later, its back rooting my leg again, all the funny comments and laughter, i pick the dog up by the neck like you would a cat and put the hosts dog in the green waste bin, close the lid and walk back to my seat and continued drinking my beer. Total silence ....lol.

When did the guy get his wife out of the bin?

Archived