Slowman

Mechanical question about Venge aero spacer

I just started building my Venge and noticed the headset cover on the top side is a bit too high and as a result the aero spacer that fills the space between the lowered head tube and top tube to make it flush, is sitting a tad too high. It seems that the headset bearing cover has too much stack height. I need a flatter one.

181220133565_zpsdb695d10.jpg

You can almost see it is not flush with the top tube. There is even an air gap below it but you can't see that. What headsets are people using on their Venges?

Um, gap between the top tube and the head tube? Isn't that called a break? Doesn't the picture show the bike without and bearing at the top? If you are asking what I think you are asking, then you need to lift the clamp that fits between the steerer tube and the bearing, you can then slide the bearing down and all should fit right. The top cap for the headset should have a tiny bit of clearance, because it rotates with the fork.

Stop showing off :D

Is it that obvious? When it is completed I'll do some real showing off. Nevertheless serious question.

Um, gap between the top tube and the head tube? Isn't that called a break? Doesn't the picture show the bike without and bearing at the top? If you are asking what I think you are asking, then you need to lift the clamp that fits between the steerer tube and the bearing, you can then slide the bearing down and all should fit right. The top cap for the headset should have a tiny bit of clearance, because it rotates with the fork.

I'm not sure what you are talking about but that gap is filled by what is called an aero spacer. This photo (1st of 3) shows it more clearly, while the rest show how it functions.

2012-Specialized-Venge-Pro-stem-angle01-

The headset is an integrated headset, that is, the bearings press straight into the frame and they are in place. What I'm talking about is under the aero spacer I have a headset cover, it usually includes a rubber ring and seals against the bearing to keep dust and dirt out. The top cover is the disc that has a tensioning bolt that secures it to the star nut, or in the case of carbon steerers the expander.

Here is another picture, the thing on top is the dust cover (they come in all shapes and heights)... that goes under the aero spacer but I need a flatter one so the aero spacer doesn't sit too high. If you've never built up a Venge you won't see the problem. That is why I'm asking what headsets people are using in their Venges - because they must be very flat and have a low stack height. I'm just using this photo as an example mine is much flatter but not flat enough.

EN_ee590969-7250-4e65-9d52-20de569b7490_

Edited by Slowman

does it look like this one?

http://www.velostocks.com/specialized-venge.html

Yes but it is the headset cover that goes under it I am interested in...the bearings themselves are just bearings and standard but the covers come in different shapes and heights but come with the headset hence my question about what headsets are used...I just need the cover I think, unless they don't use a cover at all but then that lets water and dirt in.

Edited by Slowman

I was unaware of the aero cover. I was referring to the headset cap, because sometimes it can appear that they are pushed down when in fact the bearings are not properly seated, leaving a larger than normal gap between the headset cover and the head tube. I did figure a legend would be unlikely to make a rookie mistake.

This closeup shows the problem. Perhaps you are not supposed to use a bearing cover but I don't like this idea much.

191220133566_zpsc2c3a16c.jpg

Edited by Slowman

Thanks Roxii, now that I look at the shape of the underneath of the aero spacer it looks like it is meant to fit over and seat itself directly onto the bearing. As the bearings are sealed the need for a dust cover isn't so great I expect. The dust covers do help centre the steerer in addition to the compression ring; this aero spacer isn't as snug fitting at the dust covers.

One more boast...these DA9000 boxes must have been 10% of the cost, they're so nice it seems a shame to throw them out :lol:

Edited by Slowman