Sign in to follow this  
Rog

Dear motorist

Very good.

I reckon things like these should come on the TV, not just utube. They hit home and need to reach a wider audience than just those who search for them online. Hopefully they will.

Share it on your facebook, every little bit helps.

yep, good idea..... now if only i knew how to use facebook properly..... oh well, its a slow day at work. This is my next challenge

I like that too.

This morning, 3 lanes Princes Highway, lights at Heathote Rd, take off citybound direction (NE), I have a double bogie next to me in the middle lane and I sprint past it, but as I sprint past him some git behind me is bipping the fuggin horn. Like where am I going to go? I get in front and open up a plenty big enough gap for the tosser in the silver Honda CRV to get around the truck. Slowed them down by 2 seconds which they got back as they accelerated off but still had enough time to bip some more and stick their fingers up.

Is it really against the law to ride with a replica AK47 strapped to my back?

I'm going to do some basic maths today about time and distance travelled. I'll get back to you, it's been nearly 30 years since high school but I'm confident I can come up with some interesting results.

Okay, I've done my maths.

One of the major complaints you hear from motorists is how they were held up behind a bunch of cyclists.

The stretch of Esplanade we train on here is approximately 10km long. The speed limit on that stretch is 50km/h. Let's say someone had to travel that whole 10km. It's a good road because there's no traffic lights and only a couple of roundabouts. So for this argument let's say they average 50km/h for that whole 10km stretch. Time of travel is 12 minutes.

What happens if they come upon a bunch of cyclists and can't get around and have to sit behind them for a while? For ease of calculation let's say they have to sit behind the bunch for a whole kilometre (pretty rare). This bunch is sitting on 30km/h. So for this kilometre, instead of taking 1 min 12 seconds, it takes 2 minutes. So that person has now arrived at their destination 48 seconds later than they otherwise would have.

48 seconds!!

Is a life worth 48 seconds?

Okay, I've done my maths.

One of the major complaints you hear from motorists is how they were held up behind a bunch of cyclists.

The stretch of Esplanade we train on here is approximately 10km long. The speed limit on that stretch is 50km/h. Let's say someone had to travel that whole 10km. It's a good road because there's no traffic lights and only a couple of roundabouts. So for this argument let's say they average 50km/h for that whole 10km stretch. Time of travel is 12 minutes.

What happens if they come upon a bunch of cyclists and can't get around and have to sit behind them for a while? For ease of calculation let's say they have to sit behind the bunch for a whole kilometre (pretty rare). This bunch is sitting on 30km/h. So for this kilometre, instead of taking 1 min 12 seconds, it takes 2 minutes. So that person has now arrived at their destination 48 seconds later than they otherwise would have.

48 seconds!!

Is a life worth 48 seconds?

The ridiculous thing about the attitude of some motorists is that if that 'bunch of cyclists', were a bus or a truck or a backhoe, OR even another car, you can almost bet that they wouldn't be as frustrated!!

In most cases, the telling calculation is when you ask the question "and how much faster would your commute be without all the other traffic?"

The ridiculous thing about the attitude of some motorists is that if that 'bunch of cyclists', were a bus or a truck or a backhoe, OR even another car, you can almost bet that they wouldn't be as frustrated!!

Yep there is primeval "size" thing going on I reckon.

Edited by Slowman

This is an analogy I've always used as well.

I have noticed a lot of advertising about bike safety on the radio (mainly AM stations) being run by the Amy Gillett Foundation - agree there should be more advertising on the television, but live in hope that people will actually take the time to watch.

Sharing on Facebook might have more of an impact, because it's more personal. My friends can think about how they would feel if they hit me, your friends can think about how they would feel if they hit you. On television, it's more impersonal.. if you know what I mean.

I like that too.

This morning, 3 lanes Princes Highway, lights at Heathote Rd, take off citybound direction (NE), I have a double bogie next to me in the middle lane and I sprint past it, but as I sprint past him some git behind me is bipping the fuggin horn. Like where am I going to go? I get in front and open up a plenty big enough gap for the tosser in the silver Honda CRV to get around the truck. Slowed them down by 2 seconds which they got back as they accelerated off but still had enough time to bip some more and stick their fingers up.

Is it really against the law to ride with a replica AK47 strapped to my back?

Slowie, mid week, we take long left at Oliver st now, past the school, past the brethren back up to the highway, but onto the footpath, cross heathcote rd on the footpath, past the Peter Jackson memorial inn on the footpath, back onto the road down the side at and up Auckland st? We avoid that stretch of highway like the plague mid week, all agro plus on their phones and most seem to be masturbators - not worth the risk for 5 mins - I know you shouldn't have too but.....

This misses the mark in my opinion. I see concerned and compassionate people asking, even pleading for a small amount of recognition and the protection that may come with it.

I don't think the kind of motorist that genuinely endangers cyclists will be much effected by that video.

They need NRL, AFL and V8 Supercar drivers, Pop stars and Breakfast Radio DJs telling people to pull their heads in. Explaining in simple terms the obligations and rules regarding passing a cyclist and busting all the ignorant arguments like rego, "they all run red lights" and "they shouldn't be on the road". Preferably while these celebrities are in Lycra and helmets and riding on a road. Then put that on a bill board.

If one of the captain of their favourite sport team tells them they are an idiot for passing a cyclist by 50cm at 60kph on the crest of a hill while crossing a double line, it may just sink in. I think this would be a more effective method of promoting cyclist safety.