FatPom

Kona watching thread

Tough to say but I'd still give it to Chrissie's post crash win in 2011. Gave up 6mins on her usual swim time and still beat Rinnie at her best.

Not to take anything away from Rinnie and I know some uptight people will have a heart attack about this but I think Chrissie would still beat Rinnie when both at their best. Including on Saturday.

• Like 1

Tough to say but I'd still give it to Chrissie's post crash win in 2011. Gave up 6mins on her usual swim time and still beat Rinnie at her best.

Not to take anything away from Rinnie and I know some uptight people will have a heart attack about this but I think Chrissie would still beat Rinnie when both at their best. Including on Saturday.

I agree with everything you just said.

However, I think Rinnie has closed the gap somewhat - especially on the bike (only 3 minutes slower split than the leading girls), but her swim needs to improve IMO - she lost 5 minutes there ... That said, I have never seen a more beautiful running style from a female long course triathlete. Like Welsh and Crowie at their best ... only better to watch ...

• Like 1

I agree with everything you just said.

However, I think Rinnie has closed the gap somewhat - especially on the bike (only 3 minutes slower split than the leading girls), but her swim needs to improve IMO - she lost 5 minutes there ... That said, I have never seen a more beautiful running style from a female long course triathlete. Like Welsh and Crowie at their best ... only better to watch ...

Would add that I would love Chrissie to commit herself to a 12 month campaign to get back to her best so they could go head to head in Kona next year. I would probably take time off work and go to Kona just to watch that match up ...

Was Mirinda Carfrae performance the greatest ever by female at Hawaii IM? She broke the record. The marathon split. Have to be up there.

+1

Course record, run record. By definition the best

• Like 1

Yeah have to agree.

Could we say Carfrae's run was the best we have ever seen by a female at Kona? I havent checked the record books. Has anyone gone faster?

Yeah have to agree.

Could we say Carfrae's run was the best we have ever seen by a female at Kona? I havent checked the record books. Has anyone gone faster?

Carfrae broke her own run record by 1:34.

• Like 1

Personally I'm looking forward to the all Aussie Carfrae v Haulschildt battle next year.

Would love to see them run shoulder to shoulder for 30kms or so. Female version 'ironwar'.

Here's some good footage of Rinny's running her way to the record. (Cameo appearances by Chrissie and Julie Dibens)

Edited by JGF