Toolish

Ironman - 10 hours

thanks for the feedback , appreciated from one who is most unlikely to go sub-10

Total tongue in cheek bud. Anyone who has the stones to complete an IM is hardcore in my book.

Total tongue in cheek bud. Anyone who has the stones to complete an IM is hardcore in my book.

cheers, maybe I'm getting to thin skinned :shy:

@coach my advice would be you have the ability to complete Port ironman in a respectable time (for old, broken down, 'kept' husband and father who use to race ok). But racing Port IM is another thing altogether.

Know your limits and enjoy the day for what it is. And accept that some just are not cut out for head to head warfare over 8hrs 45mins.

Port is PIS playground. Dont torture yourself trying to keep up. It can only end bad. We will win the beer mile again too.

PS. We fatten up over winter so come Port our bodies are so use to operating on 'fat fuel' we race on water alone.

Edited by Normie
  • Like 5

Who did Bob Seebohar ever train to Ironman - in fact who the hell is Bob Seebohar :scared:

Hey AP if you're open to learning the IMTalk guy's are having him on their show again.

They're asking if you have any questions you would like answered to let them know.

@coach my advice would be you have the ability to complete Port ironman in a respectable time (for old, broken down, 'kept' husband and father who use to race ok). But racing Port IM is another thing altogether.

Know your limits and enjoy the day for what it is. And accept that some just are not cut out for head to head warfare over 8hrs 45mins.

Port is PIS playground. Dont torture yourself trying to keep up. It can only end bad. We will win the beer mile again too.

PS. We fatten up over winter so come Port our bodies are so use to operating on 'fat fuel' we race on water alone.

red rag >>>>>>>> bull

• Like 3

Hey AP if you're open to learning the IMTalk guy's are having him on their show again.

They're asking if you have any questions you would like answered to let them know.

Hey AP, can you ask Bob if he worms himself.

Whilst I respect Normie's views, I'm pretty confident that Coach@ will break 13 hrs and be able to hold his head high in public...

since 2010 Normie has been injured. When he runs he looks like Joe Cocker in a laughing fit. Hence the string of lower leg issues...

Then there is his mental state. He has recently contracted the virus entitled 'love.' First time in his life he hasn't had to pay someone to play with his wee wee :)

I'll wait for him at the finishline. Least I could do :)

Edited by Coach@triathlon

PIS TTT more like

Never said we/ I was pretty @coach, we are just fast at Port. And there is no hiding in red & white...RunLong has obvious noticed the crew and wants to unlock the secret.

Fast and tough across all three.

Keep in eye out for the group we stack upfront around the sub 9hrs15min finish time. Much like it has been the last few years.

Haha all good fun and nothing better than a 12week struggle with your mates to get to the start line. Aging bodies, nagging wife (one coming shortly), never-ending workload paired with sleep deprivation culminating in the chance to recklessly put it all on the line that one day in May is pretty damn rewarding.

Hope you @coach and plenty of your mates make it to Port 2014. And me too.

Haha all good fun and nothing better than a 12week struggle with your mates to get to the start line. Aging bodies, nagging wife (one coming shortly), never-ending workload paired with sleep deprivation culminating in the chance to recklessly put it all on the line that one day in May is pretty damn rewarding

That sums up the spirit of the Ironman :smile1:

Never said we/ I was pretty @coach, we are just fast at Port. And there is no hiding in red & white...RunLong has obvious noticed the crew and wants to unlock the secret.

Fast and tough across all three.

Keep in eye out for the group we stack upfront around the sub 9hrs15min finish time. Much like it has been the last few years.

Haha all good fun and nothing better than a 12week struggle with your mates to get to the start line. Aging bodies, nagging wife (one coming shortly), never-ending workload paired with sleep deprivation culminating in the chance to recklessly put it all on the line that one day in May is pretty damn rewarding.

Hope you @coach and plenty of your mates make it to Port 2014. And me too.

Chappo mate. In all seriousness.

You guys at PIS have done a wonderful thing for triathlon in this country. Brought back the spirit of mate ship and fun. It is acknowledged and appreciated at the highest levels.

I'm glad we are mates and love watching you help people find a way to get fit and enjoy the spirit of selflessness and community. Well done.

I really hope I can get to port and get amongst it with some of your tribe. It will be an honour.

Now go f$ck yourself :D

• Like 2

Chappo mate. In all seriousness.

You guys at PIS have done a wonderful thing for triathlon in this country. Brought back the spirit of mate ship and fun. It is acknowledged and appreciated at the highest levels.

I'm glad we are mates and love watching you help people find a way to get fit and enjoy the spirit of selflessness and community. Well done.

I really hope I can get to port and get amongst it with some of your tribe. It will be an honour.

Now go f$ck yourself :D

+1 :smartarse:

coach@triathlon I tried to PM you but your box must be full. I'm happy to share a method of fuel training that a pro cyclist friend of mine showed me. In it's simplest form, in addition to a sensible nutrition plan, it's based around a 2 hour ride, a 2 hour break with a meal followed by another 2 hour ride. The guy who showed it to me was a cross country runner who switched over to cycling. He has a degree in sports science and wants to try IM when his pro cycling career is over. His name is Koen de Kort. Rides for Argos Shimano and led Marcel Kittel out to a couple of stage wins at the tour this year. He goes OK!

PM me if you're interested. He'll be back in Australia soon so I can find out the more specific details.

Edit: my "in a nutshell" description does the method no favours. It's not complicated though.

Edited by jezzaman

Jezzaman share the love with all us

More than happy to. Rather than risk misrepresenting Koen, I'll wait until he gets back to Melbourne. Shouldn't be long. He broke his collarbone about a month ago and he got engaged to a Melbourne girl in Europe a few months ago so I expect they'll be back sooner rather than later. I only vaguely remember the details myself since I wasn't base training at the time which is obviously when you do it. I know one of the guys at cylingtips.com which Koen writes for so I'll ask them if they can ask Koen to write about it there. They actually have some good nutrition stuff written by Alan McCubbin on their site. He's a highly credentialled sports dietitian (http://www.nextlevelnutrition.com.au/cms/). Scroll down to nutrition on this page http://cyclingtips.com.au/cycling-tips/ Actually it's a great site in general and I'm sure many of the cycling tips could apply to triathlon as well. I'll post back when I've got anything further to offer. I'm pretty flat out this week with work and off to Kona next week. You might want to wait and see how I go at Kona before presuming I am an expert in the field!

it's based around a 2 hour ride, a 2 hour break with a meal followed by another 2 hour ride. .

I was doing this type of training in 1988/9.

Except 100k on no food. Home. @hrs off. Breakfast, shower, 30min sleep, coffee and another 100ks.

This was every second week. 180-200ks the other week on limited nutrition. Plenty of run training was similar...

Sydney based exercise physiologist wrote the plan trying to take me from a carb burner big lactate producer to a fat user.

No Idea if it worked. I got sick. Often wonder if all those Ks / time on limited nutrition, led to my immune system falling apart....

Edited by Mjainoz

I was doing this type of training in 1988/9.

Except 100k on no food. Home. Breakfast shower 30min sleep coffee and another 100ks.

This was every second week. 180-200ks the other week on limited nutrition.

Sydney based exercise physiologist wrote the plan trying to take me from a carb burner big lactate producer to a fat user.

No Idea if it worked. I got sick. Often wonder if all those Ks trying to get fat burning to kick in led to my immune system falling apart. Plenty of run training was similar...

He definitely didn't do the first 2 hours on no food. He ate. Rode 2 hours. Ate and waited 2 hours and then rode for another 2 hours. As I said, I'm not confident I can do justice to explaining it without speaking to Koen first which I'll try to do. I'll be away until mid-October so it'll be some time after then. It's not a magic formula but these guys don't get their nutritional advice from just google so it'll be based on sound science.

I've never done the training on no food myself but did a lot of base training this Kona prep trying to manipulate the fat/CHO energy use ratio. A fair bit of trial and error involved but for me, what worked was starting at fairly easy runs rides of 90 minutes with only water and then gradually increasing the lengths and/or intensities of these workouts. I used a powermeter to gauge the intensity of the rides and a combination of RPE and pace for the runs. It's worked a treat for me. I can ride at close to IM power for 2 hours now before I take any nutrition, which I'll do if I'm out for longer and I'm never out for more than 2.20 on my runs so take nothing apart from water. Anyway, I'll wait to see how I go in Kona before claiming to be an expert. It's all trial and error for me, even racing!

• Like 1

I read one of Caroline Steffen's 'favourite' training days on the bike was

30mins @ Ironman effort

30mins @ Half Ironman effort

30mins @ Olympic distance effort

Breakfast & rest

Repeat 1st session

Lunch & rest

Repeat 2nd session

Dinner bed.

Doubling up on the one discipline on training days is a really great tool almost every serious triathlete should do /does do.

You can have the next day off that discipline to recover which helps prevents injuries and ensures you are fresher and you do each session with mostly quality work.

Big gear hill repeats am and race cadence TT pm is a staple of many pros that is really effective too.

Sutton's athletes often talk of 'Kenyan run days' too: 3 runs in the one day. Specialized did a cool vid of Tim Don's Kenyan day a couple of years ago.

Not sure many would do triple swim days....twice is hard core enough and would even be unusual I think.

Edited by niseko

30mins @ Ironman effort

Breakfast & rest

Repeat 1st session

Lunch & rest

Repeat 2nd session

Dinner bed.

Doubling up on the one discipline on training days is a really great tool almost every serious triathlete should do /does do.

You can have the next day off that discipline to recover which helps prevents injuries and ensures you are fresher and you do each session with mostly quality work.

Big gear hill repeats am and race cadence TT pm is a staple of many pros that is really effective too.

Sutton's athletes often talk of 'Kenyan run days' too: 3 runs in the one day. Specialized did a cool vid of Tim Don's Kenyan day a couple of years ago.

Not sure many would do triple swim days....twice is hard core enough and would even be unusual I think.

I've been experimenting with double days in the build for busso, across all 3. With Tuesday being double bike, Thursdays double run. See how it goes but things are going well so far.

I have done double swims on a Friday for a while now.

i dont do these every week though but will start to do them every week or more frequent from now until race.

30mins @ Ironman effort

Breakfast & rest

Repeat 1st session

Lunch & rest

Repeat 2nd session

Dinner bed.

Yeah, goes alright. I caught her at Port in 2011, we were coming through the wrist band area, and she was on the far side and sort of stumbled across the front of me, I caught her from falling.... Lol, but good thing for the sport I did.